RE: [SCA-JML] QUICK HELP NEEDED PLEASE

  • rhoward
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 3, 2007
      Kombanwa,

      With regard to sashimono: if you are considering wearing it on the field, be certain that it will
      not pose a hazard to others (a solution would be the one posted by the most honorable Date Saburou
      Yukiie provided). If you don't get direct feedback from bushi in your area, consider checking with
      your marshallate before getting started.

      Yoshimitsu

      Akitsuki Yoshimitsu - Barony of Coeur d'Ennui, Kingdom of Calontir
      Wealth and rank are like the clouds, I do not wish for such transient things.

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 3, 2007
        One MORE thing!

        Where can I get the toggles that hold various parts together? I mean
        what holds the breast plate to the shoulder strap and can be used to
        close the wrist of kote. Arg, these are hard to explain. They were
        originally of black horn. Its a cylanderical kind of thing that slips
        into a loop (of lace) and is held fast because of its oblong shape.

        They might be called a "frog" or "toggle closure". Like this thing:
        http://images.mjtrim.com/tsconfig/15856-BROWN.jpg.fpx?cell=200,200&qlt=75&cvt=jpeg
        http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/equipment/toggle-rope.jpg

        Ive looked in walmart and jo-anne fabrics for plastic versions. I was
        astounded that no place I went to had these!!!

        any ideas?

        thanks again!!
        -Jason
      • Jason Adams
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 3, 2007
          You guys are all beyond awesome!!! thank you ever so much for all of
          your help!

          Date-dono, your sashimono instruction is great thank you!! Real quick
          follow up though, on originals: was it a board on the horizontal part
          of the pole? How was that affixed? Was the pole lacquered?

          Now I need to decide on Hachimaki or tenugui :)

          THANK YOU!!!!
          -Jason
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 3, 2007
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:
            > Ive looked in walmart and jo-anne fabrics for plastic versions. I was
            > astounded that no place I went to had these!!!

            Well, look where you're shopping: Walmart and Jo-Ann are pretty basic
            in terms of sewing/notions supplies.

            All you really need to make a toggle is some wooden dowel and cord.
            Cut the dowel to the size you want. Either drill the center so you can
            thread some cord through it or file a notch around the middle that the
            cord can ride in and tie it on that way. Use the rest of the cord to
            make the loop the toggle fits through.

            Good luck!

            Saionji no Hanae
          • Alex Cunningham
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
              Namikawa has them. They're terribly nice people, and the toggles (kohaze) are not expensive, nor bulky. I just bought several several sets in both sizes (around 45 dollars worth) when I first found this place.

              http://www.namikawa-ltd.co.jp/english/

              Saburou

            • Jason Adams
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
                ooOOOooo.... Toraba doesnt seem to function anymore and I have been
                wondering about any other place that carries some of this stuff!
                you're my new best friend :)
                -Jason

              • djmccreary@peoplepc.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 5, 2007
                  Where can I get the toggles that hold various parts together?

                  easiest thing is to make them, get some dowels at home depot or wherever, cut them to the length you want, 1-1/2" or so, and drill two small holes in the middle.

                  Ghita

                  No trees were killed in the sending of this message,
                  but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.