Re: QUICK HELP NEEDED PLEASE

  • chasrmartin
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 3, 2007
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:

      > Hey everyone, Im trying to get as much impromptu stuff together as
      > possible for this weekend and I need a couple pointers real quick.
      >
      > 1). The bandanna worn under helmets. Just a normal bandanna with a tie?

      Tenugui da, ne?

      http://www.e-mudo.com/Shop/default.asp?CateCode=78

      Not quite the same as hachimaki:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachimaki

      This has instructions on how to tie tenugui:

      http://www6.big.or.jp/~budogu/manu/topm.htm
    • Frank Downs
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 3, 2007
        I've made a quick and dirty, but decent looking and quite durable
        sashimono pole by cutting an oak dowel and screwing it together with
        a metal 90° bend pipe fitting.

        Hope this helps,

        Takenoshita Naro
        Frank Downs
      • rhoward
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 3, 2007
          Kombanwa,

          With regard to sashimono: if you are considering wearing it on the field, be certain that it will
          not pose a hazard to others (a solution would be the one posted by the most honorable Date Saburou
          Yukiie provided). If you don't get direct feedback from bushi in your area, consider checking with
          your marshallate before getting started.

          Yoshimitsu

          Akitsuki Yoshimitsu - Barony of Coeur d'Ennui, Kingdom of Calontir
          Wealth and rank are like the clouds, I do not wish for such transient things.

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 3, 2007
            One MORE thing!

            Where can I get the toggles that hold various parts together? I mean
            what holds the breast plate to the shoulder strap and can be used to
            close the wrist of kote. Arg, these are hard to explain. They were
            originally of black horn. Its a cylanderical kind of thing that slips
            into a loop (of lace) and is held fast because of its oblong shape.

            They might be called a "frog" or "toggle closure". Like this thing:
            http://images.mjtrim.com/tsconfig/15856-BROWN.jpg.fpx?cell=200,200&qlt=75&cvt=jpeg
            http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/equipment/toggle-rope.jpg

            Ive looked in walmart and jo-anne fabrics for plastic versions. I was
            astounded that no place I went to had these!!!

            any ideas?

            thanks again!!
            -Jason
          • Jason Adams
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 3, 2007
              You guys are all beyond awesome!!! thank you ever so much for all of
              your help!

              Date-dono, your sashimono instruction is great thank you!! Real quick
              follow up though, on originals: was it a board on the horizontal part
              of the pole? How was that affixed? Was the pole lacquered?

              Now I need to decide on Hachimaki or tenugui :)

              THANK YOU!!!!
              -Jason
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 3, 2007
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:
                > Ive looked in walmart and jo-anne fabrics for plastic versions. I was
                > astounded that no place I went to had these!!!

                Well, look where you're shopping: Walmart and Jo-Ann are pretty basic
                in terms of sewing/notions supplies.

                All you really need to make a toggle is some wooden dowel and cord.
                Cut the dowel to the size you want. Either drill the center so you can
                thread some cord through it or file a notch around the middle that the
                cord can ride in and tie it on that way. Use the rest of the cord to
                make the loop the toggle fits through.

                Good luck!

                Saionji no Hanae
              • Alex Cunningham
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
                  Namikawa has them. They're terribly nice people, and the toggles (kohaze) are not expensive, nor bulky. I just bought several several sets in both sizes (around 45 dollars worth) when I first found this place.

                  http://www.namikawa-ltd.co.jp/english/

                  Saburou

                • Jason Adams
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
                    ooOOOooo.... Toraba doesnt seem to function anymore and I have been
                    wondering about any other place that carries some of this stuff!
                    you're my new best friend :)
                    -Jason

                  • djmccreary@peoplepc.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 5, 2007
                      Where can I get the toggles that hold various parts together?

                      easiest thing is to make them, get some dowels at home depot or wherever, cut them to the length you want, 1-1/2" or so, and drill two small holes in the middle.

                      Ghita

                      No trees were killed in the sending of this message,
                      but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.