*waves* Update from Kumagaya Tenshi

  • Diane Taylor
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 3, 2007
      Well, after a long trip out here and an even more frantic unpacking fiasco, I'm finally settled in to my new home in Meridies. However, One thing truly irks me to no end. I now live smack dab in the middle of a Zone. Meaning there is no DSL and none planned for anytime soon.

      That means I'm going to either be on *shudder* Dialup for a while or I'm going to be Library bound every week.

      Anyways, just thought I'd update you on what's going on here.

      Keep in touch.

      Kumagaya Tenshi

      Keep in touch,
      Diane Taylor
      http://dianet8.tripod.com

      Join me at the Jade Kitsune:

      Majestic Lion: Available now at Triskelion Publishing
      Ares in Chains: Now Available!

      Writers don't get mad, They write Books!

    • chasrmartin
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 3, 2007
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:

        > Hey everyone, Im trying to get as much impromptu stuff together as
        > possible for this weekend and I need a couple pointers real quick.
        >
        > 1). The bandanna worn under helmets. Just a normal bandanna with a tie?

        Tenugui da, ne?

        http://www.e-mudo.com/Shop/default.asp?CateCode=78

        Not quite the same as hachimaki:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachimaki

        This has instructions on how to tie tenugui:

        http://www6.big.or.jp/~budogu/manu/topm.htm
      • Frank Downs
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 3, 2007
          I've made a quick and dirty, but decent looking and quite durable
          sashimono pole by cutting an oak dowel and screwing it together with
          a metal 90° bend pipe fitting.

          Hope this helps,

          Takenoshita Naro
          Frank Downs
        • rhoward
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 3, 2007
            Kombanwa,

            With regard to sashimono: if you are considering wearing it on the field, be certain that it will
            not pose a hazard to others (a solution would be the one posted by the most honorable Date Saburou
            Yukiie provided). If you don't get direct feedback from bushi in your area, consider checking with
            your marshallate before getting started.

            Yoshimitsu

            Akitsuki Yoshimitsu - Barony of Coeur d'Ennui, Kingdom of Calontir
            Wealth and rank are like the clouds, I do not wish for such transient things.

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 3, 2007
              One MORE thing!

              Where can I get the toggles that hold various parts together? I mean
              what holds the breast plate to the shoulder strap and can be used to
              close the wrist of kote. Arg, these are hard to explain. They were
              originally of black horn. Its a cylanderical kind of thing that slips
              into a loop (of lace) and is held fast because of its oblong shape.

              They might be called a "frog" or "toggle closure". Like this thing:
              http://images.mjtrim.com/tsconfig/15856-BROWN.jpg.fpx?cell=200,200&qlt=75&cvt=jpeg
              http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/equipment/toggle-rope.jpg

              Ive looked in walmart and jo-anne fabrics for plastic versions. I was
              astounded that no place I went to had these!!!

              any ideas?

              thanks again!!
              -Jason
            • Jason Adams
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 3, 2007
                You guys are all beyond awesome!!! thank you ever so much for all of
                your help!

                Date-dono, your sashimono instruction is great thank you!! Real quick
                follow up though, on originals: was it a board on the horizontal part
                of the pole? How was that affixed? Was the pole lacquered?

                Now I need to decide on Hachimaki or tenugui :)

                THANK YOU!!!!
                -Jason
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 3, 2007
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:
                  > Ive looked in walmart and jo-anne fabrics for plastic versions. I was
                  > astounded that no place I went to had these!!!

                  Well, look where you're shopping: Walmart and Jo-Ann are pretty basic
                  in terms of sewing/notions supplies.

                  All you really need to make a toggle is some wooden dowel and cord.
                  Cut the dowel to the size you want. Either drill the center so you can
                  thread some cord through it or file a notch around the middle that the
                  cord can ride in and tie it on that way. Use the rest of the cord to
                  make the loop the toggle fits through.

                  Good luck!

                  Saionji no Hanae
                • Alex Cunningham
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
                    Namikawa has them. They're terribly nice people, and the toggles (kohaze) are not expensive, nor bulky. I just bought several several sets in both sizes (around 45 dollars worth) when I first found this place.

                    http://www.namikawa-ltd.co.jp/english/

                    Saburou

                  • Jason Adams
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
                      ooOOOooo.... Toraba doesnt seem to function anymore and I have been
                      wondering about any other place that carries some of this stuff!
                      you're my new best friend :)
                      -Jason

                    • djmccreary@peoplepc.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 5, 2007
                        Where can I get the toggles that hold various parts together?

                        easiest thing is to make them, get some dowels at home depot or wherever, cut them to the length you want, 1-1/2" or so, and drill two small holes in the middle.

                        Ghita

                        No trees were killed in the sending of this message,
                        but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.