Re: [SCA-JML] QUICK HELP NEEDED PLEASE

  • Rick Johnson
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 3 8:39 AM
      From someone who barely passes the "20' rule", sometimes I barely
      pass the '10 jyo rule'<g>, authenticity is a wonderful thing towards
      which to strive, but one must balance Period Authenticity with Fun.

      Ultimatly, Medieval Recreation is a game. As fun as it is, it's not
      real life (even if we want to paint our Coleman canoe brown, mount a
      head and tail at the bow and stern, dress like vikings and then
      paddle across a lake to a nearby campground and freak out the
      Mundanes by attacking some tents by the shore that hold our fellow
      medievalists).

      So, as much as I really enjoy making Waraji by hand and am looking
      for something better than jutte or sisal, if I must wear macrame
      jutte-made waraji, I don't cry or beat myself up. I console myself
      with the thought that a) I did my best under the circumstances and b)
      it's better than people wearing foam-soled zoris and an aikido gi as
      a costume.

      btw, the towel over your head is just a towel. Tengui I believe. Do
      a google search for tengui and kendo and you'll find the modern way
      to wrap it which should work for you.

      As for the other questions, I'd like to know them myself.

      Rick Johnson, PO Box 40451, Tucson, Az. 85717
      http://www.geocities.com/DesertHenge
      http://www.geocities.com/RikJohnson_ERB
      http://www.geocities.com/RikJohnson_RLJ

      Please note: message attached

    • Date Saburou Yukiie
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 3 10:36 AM
        Katsuyuki-dono,
        > 1). The bandanna worn under helmets. Just a normal bandanna with a tie?

        Tenugui is the head cloth used in Kendo. It is also called hachimaki. It is tied as such:
        http://www.kabutographics.com/images/tenugui.gif
        (At least this is how we tied ours in the Dojo back in Ginoza, Okinawa.)

        You could also make a down and dirty Eboshi out of black cotton, with white head ties.

        > 2). The Sashimono (both the flag and pole part) Specifically, the top
        > part that is perpendicular to the bamboo pole should be of a simple
        > "square board", yes? How do you affix it to the bamboo pole so it
        > doesn't slide down the pole? And what is the best material for the
        > flag (Im not doing silk right now), canvass or a lighter cotton?

        The Yama Kaminari use poles made of fiberglass bicycle flag material. The top part that
        ectends the flag is affixed via a wooden or high molecular density plastic knob or ball,
        drilled to take the fiberglass dowl and epoxied firmly. The flags are rectangular, and can
        be cotton or synthetic material for durability and ease of washing. Many of the YK have a
        bamboo section mounted on their back and slide the sashimono pole into it. You could
        make a piece that extends the sashimono away from your back and run the pole through
        that...

        A quick tip - make the loops of the flag on the long side firm and solidly sewn together,
        but put heavy duty snaps or velcro on the top loops. This will allow you to take the flag off
        and wash it if you need.

        > 3). Has anyone mixed paint with varnish (or other lacquers) to make
        > fake Urushi? Im just doing the "quick and dirty do" from Bryant's
        > site, so I'm not worried about Uber-authentic right now. I just need
        > *something* for this weekend. My quality armour is still in the works
        > and I am taking my time there. Im making Ashigaru armour for the
        > mean-time.

        I would say just use some good glossy krylon black paint and leave the mixing alone.
        There is no real need to simulate any more than that.

        > 4). Jingasa: the two little pillows that rest your head in the
        > Jingasa, any suggestions?

        Um...make a tube out of cotton, stuff it with some old fabric, and mount that to the
        jingasa with ties...

        What about the rest of the ties? Are
        > sengoku-era Jingasa ties affixed with a chin-loop? Or is that an Edo
        > period thing?

        There are hundreds of ways to tie kabuto and jingasa to your head. Find one that you
        like...it should keep the jingasa on your head, and not let the wind blow it off...but not
        choke you.

        Hope this helps some...
        Date
      • Diane Taylor
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 3 11:35 AM
          Well, after a long trip out here and an even more frantic unpacking fiasco, I'm finally settled in to my new home in Meridies. However, One thing truly irks me to no end. I now live smack dab in the middle of a Zone. Meaning there is no DSL and none planned for anytime soon.

          That means I'm going to either be on *shudder* Dialup for a while or I'm going to be Library bound every week.

          Anyways, just thought I'd update you on what's going on here.

          Keep in touch.

          Kumagaya Tenshi

          Keep in touch,
          Diane Taylor
          http://dianet8.tripod.com

          Join me at the Jade Kitsune:

          Majestic Lion: Available now at Triskelion Publishing
          Ares in Chains: Now Available!

          Writers don't get mad, They write Books!

        • chasrmartin
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 3 12:32 PM
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:

            > Hey everyone, Im trying to get as much impromptu stuff together as
            > possible for this weekend and I need a couple pointers real quick.
            >
            > 1). The bandanna worn under helmets. Just a normal bandanna with a tie?

            Tenugui da, ne?

            http://www.e-mudo.com/Shop/default.asp?CateCode=78

            Not quite the same as hachimaki:

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachimaki

            This has instructions on how to tie tenugui:

            http://www6.big.or.jp/~budogu/manu/topm.htm
          • Frank Downs
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 3 1:11 PM
              I've made a quick and dirty, but decent looking and quite durable
              sashimono pole by cutting an oak dowel and screwing it together with
              a metal 90° bend pipe fitting.

              Hope this helps,

              Takenoshita Naro
              Frank Downs
            • rhoward
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 3 2:32 PM
                Kombanwa,

                With regard to sashimono: if you are considering wearing it on the field, be certain that it will
                not pose a hazard to others (a solution would be the one posted by the most honorable Date Saburou
                Yukiie provided). If you don't get direct feedback from bushi in your area, consider checking with
                your marshallate before getting started.

                Yoshimitsu

                Akitsuki Yoshimitsu - Barony of Coeur d'Ennui, Kingdom of Calontir
                Wealth and rank are like the clouds, I do not wish for such transient things.

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 3 3:18 PM
                  One MORE thing!

                  Where can I get the toggles that hold various parts together? I mean
                  what holds the breast plate to the shoulder strap and can be used to
                  close the wrist of kote. Arg, these are hard to explain. They were
                  originally of black horn. Its a cylanderical kind of thing that slips
                  into a loop (of lace) and is held fast because of its oblong shape.

                  They might be called a "frog" or "toggle closure". Like this thing:
                  http://images.mjtrim.com/tsconfig/15856-BROWN.jpg.fpx?cell=200,200&qlt=75&cvt=jpeg
                  http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/equipment/toggle-rope.jpg

                  Ive looked in walmart and jo-anne fabrics for plastic versions. I was
                  astounded that no place I went to had these!!!

                  any ideas?

                  thanks again!!
                  -Jason
                • Jason Adams
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 3 3:33 PM
                    You guys are all beyond awesome!!! thank you ever so much for all of
                    your help!

                    Date-dono, your sashimono instruction is great thank you!! Real quick
                    follow up though, on originals: was it a board on the horizontal part
                    of the pole? How was that affixed? Was the pole lacquered?

                    Now I need to decide on Hachimaki or tenugui :)

                    THANK YOU!!!!
                    -Jason
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 3 5:30 PM
                      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:
                      > Ive looked in walmart and jo-anne fabrics for plastic versions. I was
                      > astounded that no place I went to had these!!!

                      Well, look where you're shopping: Walmart and Jo-Ann are pretty basic
                      in terms of sewing/notions supplies.

                      All you really need to make a toggle is some wooden dowel and cord.
                      Cut the dowel to the size you want. Either drill the center so you can
                      thread some cord through it or file a notch around the middle that the
                      cord can ride in and tie it on that way. Use the rest of the cord to
                      make the loop the toggle fits through.

                      Good luck!

                      Saionji no Hanae
                    • Alex Cunningham
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 4 9:27 AM
                        Namikawa has them. They're terribly nice people, and the toggles (kohaze) are not expensive, nor bulky. I just bought several several sets in both sizes (around 45 dollars worth) when I first found this place.

                        http://www.namikawa-ltd.co.jp/english/

                        Saburou

                      • Jason Adams
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 4 9:49 AM
                          ooOOOooo.... Toraba doesnt seem to function anymore and I have been
                          wondering about any other place that carries some of this stuff!
                          you're my new best friend :)
                          -Jason

                        • djmccreary@peoplepc.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 5 7:03 AM
                            Where can I get the toggles that hold various parts together?

                            easiest thing is to make them, get some dowels at home depot or wherever, cut them to the length you want, 1-1/2" or so, and drill two small holes in the middle.

                            Ghita

                            No trees were killed in the sending of this message,
                            but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.