Re: [SCA-JML]Steel geekery - Merchant Steel

  • sigrune@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2007
      The whole exchange was mainly out of indirect curiousity.

      >I don't think I've ever seen MS thinner than 1/16" and
      >not in sheets, only in flats.

      Ok, I was wondering if someone had started selling merchant steel in sheet form now.

      >I'm not sure why this would be cool because it's pretty
      >crappy material unless you like the hot rolled look.

      Because if it was possible to track down say, 1/16 merchant steel sheet, regardless of the as delivered finish, it might make things like spring steel pieces more economical... Spring steels are most often delivered as well finished cold-rolled and demand premium pricing... Getting a hardenable steel at basically scrap pricing is always a good thing.

      -Takeda