Re: Steel geekery and cloth geekery

  • James Eckman
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 12, 2007
      'Mild' steel is really 'Merchant' steel. Recent articles in Home Shop
      Machinist have pointed out that due to the large amounts of high grade
      steel scrap that some MS is as high as .5 to .7% carbon!!!! That means
      it can be hardened in some cases, worse yet, it might already be
      hardened in spots. You may want to splurge and get a specific alloy.

      The Asian Art show sounds really cool!!! I might try to make that one. I
      was also evil and forwarded the sale notice to a friend who likes
      kimono. Hopefully it won't be a wallet emptying experience for her.

      Jim Eckman
    • sigrune@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 13, 2007
        Quick question,

        Did the article in Home Shop Machinist mention if the "merchant steel" was in bar, billet, rod forms?

        I was not aware that merchant steel was comming in sheet steel
        12ga and under thickness, I'm only used to seeing it as the thicker forms. (If it is that is very cool)

        -Takeda