Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Going Sanada

  • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 9, 2007
      On 3/9/07, chasrmartin <chasrmartin@...> wrote:

      > Folks, I'm as much of a geek as anyone, and sure enough I've learned a
      > wonderful new word ("morae"), but this is a beginner; let's not give
      > the impression that it requires a degree in linguistics to learn to
      > pronounce Japanese adequately.

      Good point. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that one needed to know all
      that stuff to learn to pronounce things--I just find it a helpful way
      to better understand it. My apologies to anyone who thought that I
      was implying that you must know all of this stuff to pronounce
      Japanese, or portray a Japanese persona.

      -Ii
    • lawrence warnock
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 9, 2007
        I never took it that way, I was just enjoying the education. If someone goes
        to far, I just delete the email ;p

        Miguru

        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 9, 2007

          > One other thing I didn't mention, by the way --- doubled consonants.
          > Watch out for words like "seppuku". There's a distinction between a
          > single and double consonant -- "se pu ku" sounds differently than "sep
          > pu ku". To my ear, it sounds like a tiny hesitation between the first
          > and second "p".

          Technically, it is a stop consonant. It is not just a pause. There
          should
          be tension and stopped air involved.