Re: Going Sanada

  • chasrmartin
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 9, 2007
      Folks, I'm as much of a geek as anyone, and sure enough I've learned a
      wonderful new word ("morae"), but this is a beginner; let's not give
      the impression that it requires a degree in linguistics to learn to
      pronounce Japanese adequately.

      One other thing I didn't mention, by the way --- doubled consonants.
      Watch out for words like "seppuku". There's a distinction between a
      single and double consonant -- "se pu ku" sounds differently than "sep
      pu ku". To my ear, it sounds like a tiny hesitation between the first
      and second "p".

      - Mugyo
    • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 9, 2007
        On 3/9/07, chasrmartin <chasrmartin@...> wrote:

        > Folks, I'm as much of a geek as anyone, and sure enough I've learned a
        > wonderful new word ("morae"), but this is a beginner; let's not give
        > the impression that it requires a degree in linguistics to learn to
        > pronounce Japanese adequately.

        Good point. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that one needed to know all
        that stuff to learn to pronounce things--I just find it a helpful way
        to better understand it. My apologies to anyone who thought that I
        was implying that you must know all of this stuff to pronounce
        Japanese, or portray a Japanese persona.

        -Ii
      • lawrence warnock
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 9, 2007
          I never took it that way, I was just enjoying the education. If someone goes
          to far, I just delete the email ;p

          Miguru

          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 9, 2007

            > One other thing I didn't mention, by the way --- doubled consonants.
            > Watch out for words like "seppuku". There's a distinction between a
            > single and double consonant -- "se pu ku" sounds differently than "sep
            > pu ku". To my ear, it sounds like a tiny hesitation between the first
            > and second "p".

            Technically, it is a stop consonant. It is not just a pause. There
            should
            be tension and stopped air involved.