Re: Going Sanada

  • Jason Adams
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 6, 2007
      Oh! Yes yes! Please see my site which depicts my progress. I will
      put the pics of my hakama as soon as my wife can snap one off of me :)

      http://banditt.uber-geek.us/japan/armour/armourindex.html

      Im also compiling a little ditty about my character background (just
      to try and get it right in my head), but thats a REAL work in
      progress!!! Im constantly changing things....

      http://banditt.uber-geek.us/japan/japan1.html

      -Jason/Katsu

      > Dare we hope for pictures of finished products?
      >
      > Saionji no Hanae
      > West

    • Jason Adams
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 6, 2007
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)"
        > :) It is a good choice. Congratulations, Sanada-dono.

        thank you :)

        > I would say it is probably more "KATS'-YU-kee". Just start saying
        > 'Kah-tsoo-yoo-kee' fast.

        ah, ok. That whole dropping the middle vowel thing the Japanese do
        really has me confused. Because, where IS the middle-point? lol I
        *love* sitting and listending to those samurai flicks and how they
        pronounce things and names. One of these days it will just click.

        > Good luck, tabi still give me fits for some reason. The rest of the
        > clothing is generally nice angles, but the tabi and the toes. Sigh.

        No doubt! I did my first pait in cloth uppers with leather soles...
        heh, waste of leather :( Im sure someone with size 9 feet could wear
        them though!!!! lol

        > -Ii

        Thank you for the kind words :)
        -Jason/Katsu
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 6, 2007
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:

          > ah, ok. That whole dropping the middle vowel thing the Japanese do
          > really has me confused. Because, where IS the middle-point? lol I
          > *love* sitting and listending to those samurai flicks and how they
          > pronounce things and names. One of these days it will just click.

          I think it's specific to the letter "u."
          This is pretty basic, but it might help a little:
          http://www.japaneselifestyle.com.au/japanese_language/japanese_pronunciation.htm

          Saionji no Hanae, still learning a lot of this myself.
        • deanna.baran
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 7, 2007
            > ah, ok. That whole dropping the middle vowel thing the Japanese do
            > really has me confused.

            ---When I took a Japanese class, we all had difficulty with those u's.
            :o) Mostly it was with "desu"-- it made the teacher smile when we kept
            saying "desoo" rather than "des". Remembering "nan desu ka" was
            pronounced "nandeska" really helped with that part.

            We had similar collective difficulty with remembering how to pronounce
            "tsu". It took a lot of practice to remember "ts"; we always felt like
            we were making those little interrupting noises. :o)

            I'm sure I'll be corrected if it's bad advice, but we were told, as
            beginners, to give the different syllables equal weight and equal
            length, unlike, say, Spanish, where the difference between papa and
            papá makes all the difference. :o) Not emphasizing and not lingering
            on any particular syllable was a good way to start, though not a good
            place to stop.

            Hope that helps!
            -Deanna
          • jrwences
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 7, 2007

              > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@> wrote:
              > >
              > > ah, ok. That whole dropping the middle vowel thing the Japanese do
              > > really has me confused. Because, where IS the middle-point? lol I
              > > *love* sitting and listening to those samurai flicks and how they
              > > pronounce things and names. One of these days it will just click.
              >
              > I think it's specific to the letter "u."
              > This is pretty basic, but it might help a little:

              http://www.japaneselifestyle.com.au/japanese_language/japanese_pronunciation.htm

              > Saionji no Hanae, still learning a lot of this myself.

              The vowels "u" and "i" are both frequently ghosted. Also note that
              "yu" is a different vowel sound from "u" and does not get this treatment.
            • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 7, 2007
                On 3/6/07, Jason Adams <banditt_adams@...> wrote:
                > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)"
                > > :) It is a good choice. Congratulations, Sanada-dono.
                >
                > thank you :)
                >

                > > I would say it is probably more "KATS'-YU-kee". Just start saying
                > > 'Kah-tsoo-yoo-kee' fast.
                > >

                > ah, ok. That whole dropping the middle vowel thing the Japanese do
                > really has me confused. Because, where IS the middle-point? lol I
                > *love* sitting and listending to those samurai flicks and how they
                > pronounce things and names. One of these days it will just click.

                Well... it is easier if you read kanji, but USUALLY these names are
                two characters, each two morae each (one mora is usually a syllable...
                but not necessarily).

                So, "KA TSU YU KI" is "KA-TSU YU-KI". With names it is often better
                to pronounce everything unless you have a good 'feel' for how it
                should sound. Other examples:

                'Nobu-naga' (And I can't see 'Nob-naga', so you don't always drop the 'u')
                'Ie-yasu'
                'Toyo-tomi'
                'Haru-aki'
                'Aki-tada'
                'Tada-yuki'
                etc.

                Even art or religious names often follow this rule, although it is
                harder to see:
                'Shin-gen' (SHI N GE N)
                'Ken-shin' (KE N SHI N)
                'Sei-mei' (SE I ME I)
                'Do-man' (DO U MA N)

                This isn't perfect, but if there are four characters it is usually two
                characters per kanji. Then you have names like 'Kobayakawa'
                (Ko-baya-kawa) that blow it all out of the water!

                > Thank you for the kind words :)
                > -Jason/Katsu

                No problem--thank you for sharing.

                -Ii Katsumori
              • chasrmartin
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 8, 2007
                  <tatsushu@...> wrote:

                  > Well... it is easier if you read kanji, but USUALLY these names are
                  > two characters, each two morae each (one mora is usually a syllable...
                  > but not necessarily).

                  Um, do you mean "read kana"? Kanji often have multiple readings; for
                  example the first character in my secular name can be either "yuki" or
                  "sachi", and happen that both readings are two syllables.

                  > So, "KA TSU YU KI" is "KA-TSU YU-KI". With names it is often better
                  > to pronounce everything unless you have a good 'feel' for how it
                  > should sound.

                  This is right on the track -- and it's easier if you figure out the
                  word in kana, and then follow the rule that every individual kana (one
                  syllable) gets equal weight and strength.

                  The two things that really can trip you up are that an -n not followed
                  by a vowel *is a syllable*, and that japanese has short and long
                  vowels --- which is to say, two vowels in a row both get a beat, even
                  if they're the samje vowel. So my "ancestral" village, Shingu, in
                  Wakayama Prefecture, is "shi-n-gu", Ieyasu is "I-e-ya-s(u)". The
                  respectful form of 'desu', which is written 'deshoo' or 'deshou', has
                  three syllables, so de-sho-o ka?

                  Oh, one more thing to mention: any of the places you see a syllable
                  with a consonant and a 'y' is generally a single syllable. My secular
                  name is "Yukio", three syllables -- "Yukyo" would be two syllables.

                  - Mugyo (two syllables)
                • chasrmartin
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 8, 2007
                    By the way, if you set up a customized Google home page
                    (http://www.google.com/ig) there is a widget for "Japanese word of the
                    day", which includes audio pronunciaqtion.

                    - Mugyo
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 8, 2007

                      > "Katsuyuki" ... should sound something like
                      > "KATS-u-KEE" like how Kansuke sounds like "KON-s-KAY".

                      No it shouldn't. There is an ideogram break between "katsu" and "yuki".
                      Further, the tsu, would only disappear into a glottal stop which y just
                      doesn't do. Consequently, it is Katsu'yuki. Further, and I am repeating
                      myself, there is NO STRESS ACCENT in Japanese. There probably
                      (and I would have to check this in a dictionary after I get back from
                      a conference I am at) a rising pitch from KA to TSU.

                      Incidentally, Japanese vowels are pure vowels and are pronounced as
                      in Italian or similar languages. Consequently,

                      KA sounds like what a crow says
                      KI sounds like key
                      KU sounds like what a pigeon says
                      KE sounds like the beginning of kept
                      KO sounds like the beginning of core

                      I am having trouble thinking of an English word that has TSU in it, but
                      TS sounds pretty much like you think it does. But, the U sounds like
                      ooh.

                    • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 8, 2007
                        On 3/8/07, chasrmartin <chasrmartin@...> wrote:
                        > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)"
                        > <tatsushu@...> wrote:
                        > > Well... it is easier if you read kanji, but USUALLY these names are
                        > > two characters, each two morae each (one mora is usually a syllable...
                        > > but not necessarily).
                        >
                        > Um, do you mean "read kana"? Kanji often have multiple readings; for
                        > example the first character in my secular name can be either "yuki" or
                        > "sachi", and happen that both readings are two syllables.

                        No, I mean kanji. The problem was where the break comes--you know
                        that by which kanji you are reading. Thus knowing 'KATSU' is one
                        kanji and 'YUKI' is another kanji, you have an idea on how to break it
                        up.

                        Another example might be something like 'I NO U E', or 'O O O TA'.
                        Where do break them apart? Is it 'INOU E' or 'INO UE'? 'O OOTA'? 'O
                        O OTA'? 'O OO TA'?

                        How about:
                        TO U JO U
                        SO U MA
                        A O NO
                        U RA I SA I
                        A SA I SHI
                        I TO U TSU
                        KA JI U U JI
                        KO UCHI

                        Those are just some that I could find readily--knowing the kanji helps
                        tell you how to parse them, and helps you figure out how to pronounce
                        them. Yeah, the kana help (especially when you have 'n' and need to
                        know if it is 'N' or part of 'NA/NI/NU/NE/NO'), but that only gets you
                        so far, imho. Yeah, once you get into the swing of it, you can
                        usually guess what the parsing is when looking at the Romaji--and some
                        are pretty obvious--but ultimately I find the kanji help more than
                        just about anything else.

                        > This is right on the track -- and it's easier if you figure out the
                        > word in kana, and then follow the rule that every individual kana (one
                        > syllable) gets equal weight and strength.

                        Sort of... while 'syllable' is the concept we (English speakers) tend
                        to most easily grasp, you are really looking at individual 'morae'.

                        Mora: the unit of time equivalent to the ordinary or normal short
                        sound or syllable. (from http://dictionary.com)

                        Syllable:
                        1. A unit of spoken language consisting of a single uninterrupted
                        sound formed by a vowel, diphthong, or syllabic consonant alone, or by
                        any of these sounds preceded, followed, or surrounded by one or more
                        consonants.
                        2. One or more letters or phonetic symbols written or printed to
                        approximate a spoken syllable.
                        (from http://dictionary.com)

                        So, let's look at a word with a diphthong: 'SAIWAI'. It technically
                        has two syllables: 'SAI' and 'WAI'. (like 'sigh' and 'why') but it
                        takes 4 morae to say: SA I WA I.

                        Likewise the difference between TORI, TORII, and TOORI. Technically
                        they are all 2 syllables. However, TO RI is only two morae, while TO
                        RI I and TO O RI are both three morae. Okay, so the difference may be
                        pedantic for some, but linguistically there is a slight difference
                        that helps you pull off a better pronunciation, imho. It also helps
                        you remember not to be overly staccato when speaking, and emphasizes
                        the fun fact that Japanese actually has true /long/ vowels (e.g. 'O
                        O'), as opposed to English 'long vowels' which are more often
                        diphthongs.

                        -Ii
                      • Michael Peters
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 8, 2007
                          I think there is a bit of confusion (as usual on the internet). From a
                          technical aspect I have to back Solveig 100% on this. Is the problem modern
                          interpretations of colloquial Japanese? Example a-na-ta is commonly
                          pronouced aNta in Osaka and "-un" instead of "-ka" for questions. Also it
                          could be *your* hearing? Our ears work in strange ways. For example often in
                          Japanese -ga shifts to -nga. Extremely difficult to hear *unless* you've
                          lived a long time where the language HAS ng as a sound. Most westerner's
                          brains "hear" -ga even when it is actually -nga.
                          As with anything of this nature we simply can't know the *period*
                          inflections, contractions etc.. For *our* usage however *classical* correct
                          pronunciation would probably be the best.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 9, 2007
                            wrote:

                            but
                            > TS sounds pretty much like you think it does. But, the U sounds like
                            > ooh.

                            Tsoup.
                          • chasrmartin
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 9, 2007
                              Folks, I'm as much of a geek as anyone, and sure enough I've learned a
                              wonderful new word ("morae"), but this is a beginner; let's not give
                              the impression that it requires a degree in linguistics to learn to
                              pronounce Japanese adequately.

                              One other thing I didn't mention, by the way --- doubled consonants.
                              Watch out for words like "seppuku". There's a distinction between a
                              single and double consonant -- "se pu ku" sounds differently than "sep
                              pu ku". To my ear, it sounds like a tiny hesitation between the first
                              and second "p".

                              - Mugyo
                            • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 9, 2007
                                On 3/9/07, chasrmartin <chasrmartin@...> wrote:

                                > Folks, I'm as much of a geek as anyone, and sure enough I've learned a
                                > wonderful new word ("morae"), but this is a beginner; let's not give
                                > the impression that it requires a degree in linguistics to learn to
                                > pronounce Japanese adequately.

                                Good point. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that one needed to know all
                                that stuff to learn to pronounce things--I just find it a helpful way
                                to better understand it. My apologies to anyone who thought that I
                                was implying that you must know all of this stuff to pronounce
                                Japanese, or portray a Japanese persona.

                                -Ii
                              • lawrence warnock
                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 9, 2007
                                  I never took it that way, I was just enjoying the education. If someone goes
                                  to far, I just delete the email ;p

                                  Miguru

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 9, 2007

                                    > One other thing I didn't mention, by the way --- doubled consonants.
                                    > Watch out for words like "seppuku". There's a distinction between a
                                    > single and double consonant -- "se pu ku" sounds differently than "sep
                                    > pu ku". To my ear, it sounds like a tiny hesitation between the first
                                    > and second "p".

                                    Technically, it is a stop consonant. It is not just a pause. There
                                    should
                                    be tension and stopped air involved.