Re: Going Sanada

    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 5, 2007
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:

      > As for those pattern, d'oh!! I didnt even think to check the files.
      > but THANK YOU, as I now have some pretty gol-darned hot Hakama I made
      > over last night and this morning!! w00t!

      Atta boy! I knew you could.

      > Im a slave for period fashion, I go for just the right material,
      > organic thread, etc. So Im glad you pointed out that those folk wear
      > patterns would need altered :( I would hate to do all that work and
      > have it "off".
      Don't get me wrong, I have heard good things about the pattern line -
      it's just that they would require alterations to bring them backwards
      on the timeline. ;->

      > The tabi.... I think Im going to buy a modern pair of
      > "festival tabi" and cut them apart, just so I have the whole TOE AREA
      > in finite!
      Yup. Easy cheat - open up the front seam a couple of inches, close up
      the seam at the back of the ankle and add ties.

      Dare we hope for pictures of finished products?

      Saionji no Hanae
      West
    • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 6, 2007
        On 3/5/07, Jason Adams <banditt_adams@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Mykaru and Saionji (as always :) lol)
        >
        > Ah, Sanada-dono sounds good :) Its always more warm-tingly to belong
        > somewhere isnt it?

        :) It is a good choice. Congratulations, Sanada-dono.

        > I did a search on "Katsuyuki" and it seems to be a pretty rare name
        > all together. There is a doctor nowadays that uses it and an athlete,
        > but I havent seen any Katsuyuki in pre-modern texts at all (of caorse,
        > Im not the ultimate library by any means LOL). I really like it too.
        > It just rolls off of the tongue, if spoken anything like what Ive
        > heard in Mifune and Kurosawa movies. It should sound something like
        > "KATS-u-KEE" like how Kansuke sounds like "KON-s-KAY". Pretty Jazzy!!

        I would say it is probably more "KATS'-YU-kee". Just start saying
        'Kah-tsoo-yoo-kee' fast.

        I can't find my sources right now for some reason (they tend to run
        away and hide--especially in the morning) but I wouldn't worry too
        much about making a case. It sounds right.

        > As for those pattern, d'oh!! I didnt even think to check the files.
        > but THANK YOU, as I now have some pretty gol-darned hot Hakama I made
        > over last night and this morning!! w00t!

        :) Very cool!

        > Im totaly digging your site, Saionji. The kosode seems to be pretty
        > do-able next. The tabi.... I think Im going to buy a modern pair of
        > "festival tabi" and cut them apart, just so I have the whole TOE AREA
        > in finite! Thats what is killing me with my own tabi experiments.
        > Altering those for period use by extending the shank and adding the
        > ties around the ankle, etc are easily done. Bottomly has a good side
        > shot of period tabi in "Arms and Armour" Ive been working off of.

        That side shot is what I worked my first pair off of (Note: Work your
        first pair in fabric, then transfer it to a leather pattern, unless
        leather is as easy as fabric to you--my first pair were horrible!).
        Good luck, tabi still give me fits for some reason. The rest of the
        clothing is generally nice angles, but the tabi and the toes. Sigh.

        Again, good luck, and welcome, Sanada-dono!

        -Ii
      • Jason Adams
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 6, 2007
          Oh! Yes yes! Please see my site which depicts my progress. I will
          put the pics of my hakama as soon as my wife can snap one off of me :)

          http://banditt.uber-geek.us/japan/armour/armourindex.html

          Im also compiling a little ditty about my character background (just
          to try and get it right in my head), but thats a REAL work in
          progress!!! Im constantly changing things....

          http://banditt.uber-geek.us/japan/japan1.html

          -Jason/Katsu

          > Dare we hope for pictures of finished products?
          >
          > Saionji no Hanae
          > West

        • Jason Adams
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 6, 2007
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)"
            > :) It is a good choice. Congratulations, Sanada-dono.

            thank you :)

            > I would say it is probably more "KATS'-YU-kee". Just start saying
            > 'Kah-tsoo-yoo-kee' fast.

            ah, ok. That whole dropping the middle vowel thing the Japanese do
            really has me confused. Because, where IS the middle-point? lol I
            *love* sitting and listending to those samurai flicks and how they
            pronounce things and names. One of these days it will just click.

            > Good luck, tabi still give me fits for some reason. The rest of the
            > clothing is generally nice angles, but the tabi and the toes. Sigh.

            No doubt! I did my first pait in cloth uppers with leather soles...
            heh, waste of leather :( Im sure someone with size 9 feet could wear
            them though!!!! lol

            > -Ii

            Thank you for the kind words :)
            -Jason/Katsu
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 6, 2007
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:

              > ah, ok. That whole dropping the middle vowel thing the Japanese do
              > really has me confused. Because, where IS the middle-point? lol I
              > *love* sitting and listending to those samurai flicks and how they
              > pronounce things and names. One of these days it will just click.

              I think it's specific to the letter "u."
              This is pretty basic, but it might help a little:
              http://www.japaneselifestyle.com.au/japanese_language/japanese_pronunciation.htm

              Saionji no Hanae, still learning a lot of this myself.
            • deanna.baran
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 7, 2007
                > ah, ok. That whole dropping the middle vowel thing the Japanese do
                > really has me confused.

                ---When I took a Japanese class, we all had difficulty with those u's.
                :o) Mostly it was with "desu"-- it made the teacher smile when we kept
                saying "desoo" rather than "des". Remembering "nan desu ka" was
                pronounced "nandeska" really helped with that part.

                We had similar collective difficulty with remembering how to pronounce
                "tsu". It took a lot of practice to remember "ts"; we always felt like
                we were making those little interrupting noises. :o)

                I'm sure I'll be corrected if it's bad advice, but we were told, as
                beginners, to give the different syllables equal weight and equal
                length, unlike, say, Spanish, where the difference between papa and
                papá makes all the difference. :o) Not emphasizing and not lingering
                on any particular syllable was a good way to start, though not a good
                place to stop.

                Hope that helps!
                -Deanna
              • jrwences
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 7, 2007

                  > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > ah, ok. That whole dropping the middle vowel thing the Japanese do
                  > > really has me confused. Because, where IS the middle-point? lol I
                  > > *love* sitting and listening to those samurai flicks and how they
                  > > pronounce things and names. One of these days it will just click.
                  >
                  > I think it's specific to the letter "u."
                  > This is pretty basic, but it might help a little:

                  http://www.japaneselifestyle.com.au/japanese_language/japanese_pronunciation.htm

                  > Saionji no Hanae, still learning a lot of this myself.

                  The vowels "u" and "i" are both frequently ghosted. Also note that
                  "yu" is a different vowel sound from "u" and does not get this treatment.
                • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 7, 2007
                    On 3/6/07, Jason Adams <banditt_adams@...> wrote:
                    > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)"
                    > > :) It is a good choice. Congratulations, Sanada-dono.
                    >
                    > thank you :)
                    >

                    > > I would say it is probably more "KATS'-YU-kee". Just start saying
                    > > 'Kah-tsoo-yoo-kee' fast.
                    > >

                    > ah, ok. That whole dropping the middle vowel thing the Japanese do
                    > really has me confused. Because, where IS the middle-point? lol I
                    > *love* sitting and listending to those samurai flicks and how they
                    > pronounce things and names. One of these days it will just click.

                    Well... it is easier if you read kanji, but USUALLY these names are
                    two characters, each two morae each (one mora is usually a syllable...
                    but not necessarily).

                    So, "KA TSU YU KI" is "KA-TSU YU-KI". With names it is often better
                    to pronounce everything unless you have a good 'feel' for how it
                    should sound. Other examples:

                    'Nobu-naga' (And I can't see 'Nob-naga', so you don't always drop the 'u')
                    'Ie-yasu'
                    'Toyo-tomi'
                    'Haru-aki'
                    'Aki-tada'
                    'Tada-yuki'
                    etc.

                    Even art or religious names often follow this rule, although it is
                    harder to see:
                    'Shin-gen' (SHI N GE N)
                    'Ken-shin' (KE N SHI N)
                    'Sei-mei' (SE I ME I)
                    'Do-man' (DO U MA N)

                    This isn't perfect, but if there are four characters it is usually two
                    characters per kanji. Then you have names like 'Kobayakawa'
                    (Ko-baya-kawa) that blow it all out of the water!

                    > Thank you for the kind words :)
                    > -Jason/Katsu

                    No problem--thank you for sharing.

                    -Ii Katsumori
                  • chasrmartin
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 8, 2007
                      <tatsushu@...> wrote:

                      > Well... it is easier if you read kanji, but USUALLY these names are
                      > two characters, each two morae each (one mora is usually a syllable...
                      > but not necessarily).

                      Um, do you mean "read kana"? Kanji often have multiple readings; for
                      example the first character in my secular name can be either "yuki" or
                      "sachi", and happen that both readings are two syllables.

                      > So, "KA TSU YU KI" is "KA-TSU YU-KI". With names it is often better
                      > to pronounce everything unless you have a good 'feel' for how it
                      > should sound.

                      This is right on the track -- and it's easier if you figure out the
                      word in kana, and then follow the rule that every individual kana (one
                      syllable) gets equal weight and strength.

                      The two things that really can trip you up are that an -n not followed
                      by a vowel *is a syllable*, and that japanese has short and long
                      vowels --- which is to say, two vowels in a row both get a beat, even
                      if they're the samje vowel. So my "ancestral" village, Shingu, in
                      Wakayama Prefecture, is "shi-n-gu", Ieyasu is "I-e-ya-s(u)". The
                      respectful form of 'desu', which is written 'deshoo' or 'deshou', has
                      three syllables, so de-sho-o ka?

                      Oh, one more thing to mention: any of the places you see a syllable
                      with a consonant and a 'y' is generally a single syllable. My secular
                      name is "Yukio", three syllables -- "Yukyo" would be two syllables.

                      - Mugyo (two syllables)
                    • chasrmartin
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 8, 2007
                        By the way, if you set up a customized Google home page
                        (http://www.google.com/ig) there is a widget for "Japanese word of the
                        day", which includes audio pronunciaqtion.

                        - Mugyo
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 8, 2007

                          > "Katsuyuki" ... should sound something like
                          > "KATS-u-KEE" like how Kansuke sounds like "KON-s-KAY".

                          No it shouldn't. There is an ideogram break between "katsu" and "yuki".
                          Further, the tsu, would only disappear into a glottal stop which y just
                          doesn't do. Consequently, it is Katsu'yuki. Further, and I am repeating
                          myself, there is NO STRESS ACCENT in Japanese. There probably
                          (and I would have to check this in a dictionary after I get back from
                          a conference I am at) a rising pitch from KA to TSU.

                          Incidentally, Japanese vowels are pure vowels and are pronounced as
                          in Italian or similar languages. Consequently,

                          KA sounds like what a crow says
                          KI sounds like key
                          KU sounds like what a pigeon says
                          KE sounds like the beginning of kept
                          KO sounds like the beginning of core

                          I am having trouble thinking of an English word that has TSU in it, but
                          TS sounds pretty much like you think it does. But, the U sounds like
                          ooh.

                        • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 8, 2007
                            On 3/8/07, chasrmartin <chasrmartin@...> wrote:
                            > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)"
                            > <tatsushu@...> wrote:
                            > > Well... it is easier if you read kanji, but USUALLY these names are
                            > > two characters, each two morae each (one mora is usually a syllable...
                            > > but not necessarily).
                            >
                            > Um, do you mean "read kana"? Kanji often have multiple readings; for
                            > example the first character in my secular name can be either "yuki" or
                            > "sachi", and happen that both readings are two syllables.

                            No, I mean kanji. The problem was where the break comes--you know
                            that by which kanji you are reading. Thus knowing 'KATSU' is one
                            kanji and 'YUKI' is another kanji, you have an idea on how to break it
                            up.

                            Another example might be something like 'I NO U E', or 'O O O TA'.
                            Where do break them apart? Is it 'INOU E' or 'INO UE'? 'O OOTA'? 'O
                            O OTA'? 'O OO TA'?

                            How about:
                            TO U JO U
                            SO U MA
                            A O NO
                            U RA I SA I
                            A SA I SHI
                            I TO U TSU
                            KA JI U U JI
                            KO UCHI

                            Those are just some that I could find readily--knowing the kanji helps
                            tell you how to parse them, and helps you figure out how to pronounce
                            them. Yeah, the kana help (especially when you have 'n' and need to
                            know if it is 'N' or part of 'NA/NI/NU/NE/NO'), but that only gets you
                            so far, imho. Yeah, once you get into the swing of it, you can
                            usually guess what the parsing is when looking at the Romaji--and some
                            are pretty obvious--but ultimately I find the kanji help more than
                            just about anything else.

                            > This is right on the track -- and it's easier if you figure out the
                            > word in kana, and then follow the rule that every individual kana (one
                            > syllable) gets equal weight and strength.

                            Sort of... while 'syllable' is the concept we (English speakers) tend
                            to most easily grasp, you are really looking at individual 'morae'.

                            Mora: the unit of time equivalent to the ordinary or normal short
                            sound or syllable. (from http://dictionary.com)

                            Syllable:
                            1. A unit of spoken language consisting of a single uninterrupted
                            sound formed by a vowel, diphthong, or syllabic consonant alone, or by
                            any of these sounds preceded, followed, or surrounded by one or more
                            consonants.
                            2. One or more letters or phonetic symbols written or printed to
                            approximate a spoken syllable.
                            (from http://dictionary.com)

                            So, let's look at a word with a diphthong: 'SAIWAI'. It technically
                            has two syllables: 'SAI' and 'WAI'. (like 'sigh' and 'why') but it
                            takes 4 morae to say: SA I WA I.

                            Likewise the difference between TORI, TORII, and TOORI. Technically
                            they are all 2 syllables. However, TO RI is only two morae, while TO
                            RI I and TO O RI are both three morae. Okay, so the difference may be
                            pedantic for some, but linguistically there is a slight difference
                            that helps you pull off a better pronunciation, imho. It also helps
                            you remember not to be overly staccato when speaking, and emphasizes
                            the fun fact that Japanese actually has true /long/ vowels (e.g. 'O
                            O'), as opposed to English 'long vowels' which are more often
                            diphthongs.

                            -Ii
                          • Michael Peters
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 8, 2007
                              I think there is a bit of confusion (as usual on the internet). From a
                              technical aspect I have to back Solveig 100% on this. Is the problem modern
                              interpretations of colloquial Japanese? Example a-na-ta is commonly
                              pronouced aNta in Osaka and "-un" instead of "-ka" for questions. Also it
                              could be *your* hearing? Our ears work in strange ways. For example often in
                              Japanese -ga shifts to -nga. Extremely difficult to hear *unless* you've
                              lived a long time where the language HAS ng as a sound. Most westerner's
                              brains "hear" -ga even when it is actually -nga.
                              As with anything of this nature we simply can't know the *period*
                              inflections, contractions etc.. For *our* usage however *classical* correct
                              pronunciation would probably be the best.

                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 9, 2007
                                wrote:

                                but
                                > TS sounds pretty much like you think it does. But, the U sounds like
                                > ooh.

                                Tsoup.
                              • chasrmartin
                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 9, 2007
                                  Folks, I'm as much of a geek as anyone, and sure enough I've learned a
                                  wonderful new word ("morae"), but this is a beginner; let's not give
                                  the impression that it requires a degree in linguistics to learn to
                                  pronounce Japanese adequately.

                                  One other thing I didn't mention, by the way --- doubled consonants.
                                  Watch out for words like "seppuku". There's a distinction between a
                                  single and double consonant -- "se pu ku" sounds differently than "sep
                                  pu ku". To my ear, it sounds like a tiny hesitation between the first
                                  and second "p".

                                  - Mugyo
                                • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 9, 2007
                                    On 3/9/07, chasrmartin <chasrmartin@...> wrote:

                                    > Folks, I'm as much of a geek as anyone, and sure enough I've learned a
                                    > wonderful new word ("morae"), but this is a beginner; let's not give
                                    > the impression that it requires a degree in linguistics to learn to
                                    > pronounce Japanese adequately.

                                    Good point. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that one needed to know all
                                    that stuff to learn to pronounce things--I just find it a helpful way
                                    to better understand it. My apologies to anyone who thought that I
                                    was implying that you must know all of this stuff to pronounce
                                    Japanese, or portray a Japanese persona.

                                    -Ii
                                  • lawrence warnock
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 9, 2007
                                      I never took it that way, I was just enjoying the education. If someone goes
                                      to far, I just delete the email ;p

                                      Miguru

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Mar 9, 2007

                                        > One other thing I didn't mention, by the way --- doubled consonants.
                                        > Watch out for words like "seppuku". There's a distinction between a
                                        > single and double consonant -- "se pu ku" sounds differently than "sep
                                        > pu ku". To my ear, it sounds like a tiny hesitation between the first
                                        > and second "p".

                                        Technically, it is a stop consonant. It is not just a pause. There
                                        should
                                        be tension and stopped air involved.