RE: [SCA-JML] Going Sanada

  • Michael Peters
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 4, 2007
      Jason,

      Not much of a names person myself, but. My brief check shows a Sanadas
      Nobutsuna,Masateru,Masayuki,Yukitaka,Nobuyuki, and Yukimura. No Katsuyuki
      that I see so it looks good. That is from *1* reference book and I defer to
      others with more extensive name libraries.

      Mykaru

    • Jason Adams
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 5, 2007
        Thanks Mykaru and Saionji (as always :) lol)

        Ah, Sanada-dono sounds good :) Its always more warm-tingly to belong
        somewhere isnt it?

        I did a search on "Katsuyuki" and it seems to be a pretty rare name
        all together. There is a doctor nowadays that uses it and an athlete,
        but I havent seen any Katsuyuki in pre-modern texts at all (of caorse,
        Im not the ultimate library by any means LOL). I really like it too.
        It just rolls off of the tongue, if spoken anything like what Ive
        heard in Mifune and Kurosawa movies. It should sound something like
        "KATS-u-KEE" like how Kansuke sounds like "KON-s-KAY". Pretty Jazzy!!

        As for those pattern, d'oh!! I didnt even think to check the files.
        but THANK YOU, as I now have some pretty gol-darned hot Hakama I made
        over last night and this morning!! w00t!

        Im a slave for period fashion, I go for just the right material,
        organic thread, etc. So Im glad you pointed out that those folk wear
        patterns would need altered :( I would hate to do all that work and
        have it "off".

        Im totaly digging your site, Saionji. The kosode seems to be pretty
        do-able next. The tabi.... I think Im going to buy a modern pair of
        "festival tabi" and cut them apart, just so I have the whole TOE AREA
        in finite! Thats what is killing me with my own tabi experiments.
        Altering those for period use by extending the shank and adding the
        ties around the ankle, etc are easily done. Bottomly has a good side
        shot of period tabi in "Arms and Armour" Ive been working off of.

        Thanks again cousins!!!!
        -Jason/Katsu
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 5, 2007
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:

          > As for those pattern, d'oh!! I didnt even think to check the files.
          > but THANK YOU, as I now have some pretty gol-darned hot Hakama I made
          > over last night and this morning!! w00t!

          Atta boy! I knew you could.

          > Im a slave for period fashion, I go for just the right material,
          > organic thread, etc. So Im glad you pointed out that those folk wear
          > patterns would need altered :( I would hate to do all that work and
          > have it "off".
          Don't get me wrong, I have heard good things about the pattern line -
          it's just that they would require alterations to bring them backwards
          on the timeline. ;->

          > The tabi.... I think Im going to buy a modern pair of
          > "festival tabi" and cut them apart, just so I have the whole TOE AREA
          > in finite!
          Yup. Easy cheat - open up the front seam a couple of inches, close up
          the seam at the back of the ankle and add ties.

          Dare we hope for pictures of finished products?

          Saionji no Hanae
          West
        • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 6, 2007
            On 3/5/07, Jason Adams <banditt_adams@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Mykaru and Saionji (as always :) lol)
            >
            > Ah, Sanada-dono sounds good :) Its always more warm-tingly to belong
            > somewhere isnt it?

            :) It is a good choice. Congratulations, Sanada-dono.

            > I did a search on "Katsuyuki" and it seems to be a pretty rare name
            > all together. There is a doctor nowadays that uses it and an athlete,
            > but I havent seen any Katsuyuki in pre-modern texts at all (of caorse,
            > Im not the ultimate library by any means LOL). I really like it too.
            > It just rolls off of the tongue, if spoken anything like what Ive
            > heard in Mifune and Kurosawa movies. It should sound something like
            > "KATS-u-KEE" like how Kansuke sounds like "KON-s-KAY". Pretty Jazzy!!

            I would say it is probably more "KATS'-YU-kee". Just start saying
            'Kah-tsoo-yoo-kee' fast.

            I can't find my sources right now for some reason (they tend to run
            away and hide--especially in the morning) but I wouldn't worry too
            much about making a case. It sounds right.

            > As for those pattern, d'oh!! I didnt even think to check the files.
            > but THANK YOU, as I now have some pretty gol-darned hot Hakama I made
            > over last night and this morning!! w00t!

            :) Very cool!

            > Im totaly digging your site, Saionji. The kosode seems to be pretty
            > do-able next. The tabi.... I think Im going to buy a modern pair of
            > "festival tabi" and cut them apart, just so I have the whole TOE AREA
            > in finite! Thats what is killing me with my own tabi experiments.
            > Altering those for period use by extending the shank and adding the
            > ties around the ankle, etc are easily done. Bottomly has a good side
            > shot of period tabi in "Arms and Armour" Ive been working off of.

            That side shot is what I worked my first pair off of (Note: Work your
            first pair in fabric, then transfer it to a leather pattern, unless
            leather is as easy as fabric to you--my first pair were horrible!).
            Good luck, tabi still give me fits for some reason. The rest of the
            clothing is generally nice angles, but the tabi and the toes. Sigh.

            Again, good luck, and welcome, Sanada-dono!

            -Ii
          • Jason Adams
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 6, 2007
              Oh! Yes yes! Please see my site which depicts my progress. I will
              put the pics of my hakama as soon as my wife can snap one off of me :)

              http://banditt.uber-geek.us/japan/armour/armourindex.html

              Im also compiling a little ditty about my character background (just
              to try and get it right in my head), but thats a REAL work in
              progress!!! Im constantly changing things....

              http://banditt.uber-geek.us/japan/japan1.html

              -Jason/Katsu

              > Dare we hope for pictures of finished products?
              >
              > Saionji no Hanae
              > West

            • Jason Adams
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 6, 2007
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)"
                > :) It is a good choice. Congratulations, Sanada-dono.

                thank you :)

                > I would say it is probably more "KATS'-YU-kee". Just start saying
                > 'Kah-tsoo-yoo-kee' fast.

                ah, ok. That whole dropping the middle vowel thing the Japanese do
                really has me confused. Because, where IS the middle-point? lol I
                *love* sitting and listending to those samurai flicks and how they
                pronounce things and names. One of these days it will just click.

                > Good luck, tabi still give me fits for some reason. The rest of the
                > clothing is generally nice angles, but the tabi and the toes. Sigh.

                No doubt! I did my first pait in cloth uppers with leather soles...
                heh, waste of leather :( Im sure someone with size 9 feet could wear
                them though!!!! lol

                > -Ii

                Thank you for the kind words :)
                -Jason/Katsu
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 6, 2007
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:

                  > ah, ok. That whole dropping the middle vowel thing the Japanese do
                  > really has me confused. Because, where IS the middle-point? lol I
                  > *love* sitting and listending to those samurai flicks and how they
                  > pronounce things and names. One of these days it will just click.

                  I think it's specific to the letter "u."
                  This is pretty basic, but it might help a little:
                  http://www.japaneselifestyle.com.au/japanese_language/japanese_pronunciation.htm

                  Saionji no Hanae, still learning a lot of this myself.
                • deanna.baran
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 7, 2007
                    > ah, ok. That whole dropping the middle vowel thing the Japanese do
                    > really has me confused.

                    ---When I took a Japanese class, we all had difficulty with those u's.
                    :o) Mostly it was with "desu"-- it made the teacher smile when we kept
                    saying "desoo" rather than "des". Remembering "nan desu ka" was
                    pronounced "nandeska" really helped with that part.

                    We had similar collective difficulty with remembering how to pronounce
                    "tsu". It took a lot of practice to remember "ts"; we always felt like
                    we were making those little interrupting noises. :o)

                    I'm sure I'll be corrected if it's bad advice, but we were told, as
                    beginners, to give the different syllables equal weight and equal
                    length, unlike, say, Spanish, where the difference between papa and
                    papá makes all the difference. :o) Not emphasizing and not lingering
                    on any particular syllable was a good way to start, though not a good
                    place to stop.

                    Hope that helps!
                    -Deanna
                  • jrwences
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 7, 2007

                      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > ah, ok. That whole dropping the middle vowel thing the Japanese do
                      > > really has me confused. Because, where IS the middle-point? lol I
                      > > *love* sitting and listening to those samurai flicks and how they
                      > > pronounce things and names. One of these days it will just click.
                      >
                      > I think it's specific to the letter "u."
                      > This is pretty basic, but it might help a little:

                      http://www.japaneselifestyle.com.au/japanese_language/japanese_pronunciation.htm

                      > Saionji no Hanae, still learning a lot of this myself.

                      The vowels "u" and "i" are both frequently ghosted. Also note that
                      "yu" is a different vowel sound from "u" and does not get this treatment.
                    • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 7, 2007
                        On 3/6/07, Jason Adams <banditt_adams@...> wrote:
                        > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)"
                        > > :) It is a good choice. Congratulations, Sanada-dono.
                        >
                        > thank you :)
                        >

                        > > I would say it is probably more "KATS'-YU-kee". Just start saying
                        > > 'Kah-tsoo-yoo-kee' fast.
                        > >

                        > ah, ok. That whole dropping the middle vowel thing the Japanese do
                        > really has me confused. Because, where IS the middle-point? lol I
                        > *love* sitting and listending to those samurai flicks and how they
                        > pronounce things and names. One of these days it will just click.

                        Well... it is easier if you read kanji, but USUALLY these names are
                        two characters, each two morae each (one mora is usually a syllable...
                        but not necessarily).

                        So, "KA TSU YU KI" is "KA-TSU YU-KI". With names it is often better
                        to pronounce everything unless you have a good 'feel' for how it
                        should sound. Other examples:

                        'Nobu-naga' (And I can't see 'Nob-naga', so you don't always drop the 'u')
                        'Ie-yasu'
                        'Toyo-tomi'
                        'Haru-aki'
                        'Aki-tada'
                        'Tada-yuki'
                        etc.

                        Even art or religious names often follow this rule, although it is
                        harder to see:
                        'Shin-gen' (SHI N GE N)
                        'Ken-shin' (KE N SHI N)
                        'Sei-mei' (SE I ME I)
                        'Do-man' (DO U MA N)

                        This isn't perfect, but if there are four characters it is usually two
                        characters per kanji. Then you have names like 'Kobayakawa'
                        (Ko-baya-kawa) that blow it all out of the water!

                        > Thank you for the kind words :)
                        > -Jason/Katsu

                        No problem--thank you for sharing.

                        -Ii Katsumori
                      • chasrmartin
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 8, 2007
                          <tatsushu@...> wrote:

                          > Well... it is easier if you read kanji, but USUALLY these names are
                          > two characters, each two morae each (one mora is usually a syllable...
                          > but not necessarily).

                          Um, do you mean "read kana"? Kanji often have multiple readings; for
                          example the first character in my secular name can be either "yuki" or
                          "sachi", and happen that both readings are two syllables.

                          > So, "KA TSU YU KI" is "KA-TSU YU-KI". With names it is often better
                          > to pronounce everything unless you have a good 'feel' for how it
                          > should sound.

                          This is right on the track -- and it's easier if you figure out the
                          word in kana, and then follow the rule that every individual kana (one
                          syllable) gets equal weight and strength.

                          The two things that really can trip you up are that an -n not followed
                          by a vowel *is a syllable*, and that japanese has short and long
                          vowels --- which is to say, two vowels in a row both get a beat, even
                          if they're the samje vowel. So my "ancestral" village, Shingu, in
                          Wakayama Prefecture, is "shi-n-gu", Ieyasu is "I-e-ya-s(u)". The
                          respectful form of 'desu', which is written 'deshoo' or 'deshou', has
                          three syllables, so de-sho-o ka?

                          Oh, one more thing to mention: any of the places you see a syllable
                          with a consonant and a 'y' is generally a single syllable. My secular
                          name is "Yukio", three syllables -- "Yukyo" would be two syllables.

                          - Mugyo (two syllables)
                        • chasrmartin
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 8, 2007
                            By the way, if you set up a customized Google home page
                            (http://www.google.com/ig) there is a widget for "Japanese word of the
                            day", which includes audio pronunciaqtion.

                            - Mugyo
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 8, 2007

                              > "Katsuyuki" ... should sound something like
                              > "KATS-u-KEE" like how Kansuke sounds like "KON-s-KAY".

                              No it shouldn't. There is an ideogram break between "katsu" and "yuki".
                              Further, the tsu, would only disappear into a glottal stop which y just
                              doesn't do. Consequently, it is Katsu'yuki. Further, and I am repeating
                              myself, there is NO STRESS ACCENT in Japanese. There probably
                              (and I would have to check this in a dictionary after I get back from
                              a conference I am at) a rising pitch from KA to TSU.

                              Incidentally, Japanese vowels are pure vowels and are pronounced as
                              in Italian or similar languages. Consequently,

                              KA sounds like what a crow says
                              KI sounds like key
                              KU sounds like what a pigeon says
                              KE sounds like the beginning of kept
                              KO sounds like the beginning of core

                              I am having trouble thinking of an English word that has TSU in it, but
                              TS sounds pretty much like you think it does. But, the U sounds like
                              ooh.

                            • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 8, 2007
                                On 3/8/07, chasrmartin <chasrmartin@...> wrote:
                                > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)"
                                > <tatsushu@...> wrote:
                                > > Well... it is easier if you read kanji, but USUALLY these names are
                                > > two characters, each two morae each (one mora is usually a syllable...
                                > > but not necessarily).
                                >
                                > Um, do you mean "read kana"? Kanji often have multiple readings; for
                                > example the first character in my secular name can be either "yuki" or
                                > "sachi", and happen that both readings are two syllables.

                                No, I mean kanji. The problem was where the break comes--you know
                                that by which kanji you are reading. Thus knowing 'KATSU' is one
                                kanji and 'YUKI' is another kanji, you have an idea on how to break it
                                up.

                                Another example might be something like 'I NO U E', or 'O O O TA'.
                                Where do break them apart? Is it 'INOU E' or 'INO UE'? 'O OOTA'? 'O
                                O OTA'? 'O OO TA'?

                                How about:
                                TO U JO U
                                SO U MA
                                A O NO
                                U RA I SA I
                                A SA I SHI
                                I TO U TSU
                                KA JI U U JI
                                KO UCHI

                                Those are just some that I could find readily--knowing the kanji helps
                                tell you how to parse them, and helps you figure out how to pronounce
                                them. Yeah, the kana help (especially when you have 'n' and need to
                                know if it is 'N' or part of 'NA/NI/NU/NE/NO'), but that only gets you
                                so far, imho. Yeah, once you get into the swing of it, you can
                                usually guess what the parsing is when looking at the Romaji--and some
                                are pretty obvious--but ultimately I find the kanji help more than
                                just about anything else.

                                > This is right on the track -- and it's easier if you figure out the
                                > word in kana, and then follow the rule that every individual kana (one
                                > syllable) gets equal weight and strength.

                                Sort of... while 'syllable' is the concept we (English speakers) tend
                                to most easily grasp, you are really looking at individual 'morae'.

                                Mora: the unit of time equivalent to the ordinary or normal short
                                sound or syllable. (from http://dictionary.com)

                                Syllable:
                                1. A unit of spoken language consisting of a single uninterrupted
                                sound formed by a vowel, diphthong, or syllabic consonant alone, or by
                                any of these sounds preceded, followed, or surrounded by one or more
                                consonants.
                                2. One or more letters or phonetic symbols written or printed to
                                approximate a spoken syllable.
                                (from http://dictionary.com)

                                So, let's look at a word with a diphthong: 'SAIWAI'. It technically
                                has two syllables: 'SAI' and 'WAI'. (like 'sigh' and 'why') but it
                                takes 4 morae to say: SA I WA I.

                                Likewise the difference between TORI, TORII, and TOORI. Technically
                                they are all 2 syllables. However, TO RI is only two morae, while TO
                                RI I and TO O RI are both three morae. Okay, so the difference may be
                                pedantic for some, but linguistically there is a slight difference
                                that helps you pull off a better pronunciation, imho. It also helps
                                you remember not to be overly staccato when speaking, and emphasizes
                                the fun fact that Japanese actually has true /long/ vowels (e.g. 'O
                                O'), as opposed to English 'long vowels' which are more often
                                diphthongs.

                                -Ii
                              • Michael Peters
                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 8, 2007
                                  I think there is a bit of confusion (as usual on the internet). From a
                                  technical aspect I have to back Solveig 100% on this. Is the problem modern
                                  interpretations of colloquial Japanese? Example a-na-ta is commonly
                                  pronouced aNta in Osaka and "-un" instead of "-ka" for questions. Also it
                                  could be *your* hearing? Our ears work in strange ways. For example often in
                                  Japanese -ga shifts to -nga. Extremely difficult to hear *unless* you've
                                  lived a long time where the language HAS ng as a sound. Most westerner's
                                  brains "hear" -ga even when it is actually -nga.
                                  As with anything of this nature we simply can't know the *period*
                                  inflections, contractions etc.. For *our* usage however *classical* correct
                                  pronunciation would probably be the best.

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 9, 2007
                                    wrote:

                                    but
                                    > TS sounds pretty much like you think it does. But, the U sounds like
                                    > ooh.

                                    Tsoup.
                                  • chasrmartin
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 9, 2007
                                      Folks, I'm as much of a geek as anyone, and sure enough I've learned a
                                      wonderful new word ("morae"), but this is a beginner; let's not give
                                      the impression that it requires a degree in linguistics to learn to
                                      pronounce Japanese adequately.

                                      One other thing I didn't mention, by the way --- doubled consonants.
                                      Watch out for words like "seppuku". There's a distinction between a
                                      single and double consonant -- "se pu ku" sounds differently than "sep
                                      pu ku". To my ear, it sounds like a tiny hesitation between the first
                                      and second "p".

                                      - Mugyo
                                    • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Mar 9, 2007
                                        On 3/9/07, chasrmartin <chasrmartin@...> wrote:

                                        > Folks, I'm as much of a geek as anyone, and sure enough I've learned a
                                        > wonderful new word ("morae"), but this is a beginner; let's not give
                                        > the impression that it requires a degree in linguistics to learn to
                                        > pronounce Japanese adequately.

                                        Good point. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that one needed to know all
                                        that stuff to learn to pronounce things--I just find it a helpful way
                                        to better understand it. My apologies to anyone who thought that I
                                        was implying that you must know all of this stuff to pronounce
                                        Japanese, or portray a Japanese persona.

                                        -Ii
                                      • lawrence warnock
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Mar 9, 2007
                                          I never took it that way, I was just enjoying the education. If someone goes
                                          to far, I just delete the email ;p

                                          Miguru

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Mar 9, 2007

                                            > One other thing I didn't mention, by the way --- doubled consonants.
                                            > Watch out for words like "seppuku". There's a distinction between a
                                            > single and double consonant -- "se pu ku" sounds differently than "sep
                                            > pu ku". To my ear, it sounds like a tiny hesitation between the first
                                            > and second "p".

                                            Technically, it is a stop consonant. It is not just a pause. There
                                            should
                                            be tension and stopped air involved.