Re: [SCA-JML] Changes of Clothing

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 15, 2000
      Kev Fitzpatrick wrote:

      > I just realized that in most jidai geki I've seen the
      > characters never seem to change clothing. I realize
      > that this is a way to make them more recognizable, but
      > in all seriousness, how many sets of clothign did your
      > average samurai have? How many did the shogun have?
      > and who picked his clothign for him?

      You're watching the wrong shows. Or, rather, shows about poor folks or
      shows with a very narrow time frame. For example, Sanjuro takes place
      pretty much over a course of two days. Yojimbo and Seven Samurai have poor
      people (who are also travelling).

      Watch Kagemusha, Ran, or Samurai Banners, real films about real samurai,
      rather than films about ronin or peasants or townsfolk.

      They had plenty of clothes, and changed more or less like we do, if sources
      are any indication.