Re: [SCA-JML] SCA

  • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 18, 2007
      Gary-dono, SCA-JML e yokoso! (Welcome, Gary, to SCA-JML!)

      I am called Ii Katsumori, and I hope we can help you out. Some more
      information may be helpful.

      First, where do you live? Depending on where you are there may be
      someone on this list who is local to you, and that can often be more
      helpful than a bunch of ethereal voices on the Internet.

      That said, a few things that we can do to help.

      NAME: You're going to be looking for a Family Name right away. Once
      you have a family name, you may take a while to decide on your given
      name (usually a Yobina/Zokumyo [common name] and Nanori [famous
      name]). For starters, I would try http://sengokudaimyo.com/ and look
      at the Miscellany for information on general naming practices. If you
      have someone local to you with a copy of Barbara Nostrand's (aka
      Solveig Thronsdattir's) 'little pamphlet'--a more in depth resource on
      Japanese naming practice specifically geared towards pre-1600 names.
      It is a great English language resource for the shear lists of names,
      if nothing else.

      After that, well, let us know what we can help you with. I recommend
      checking out the archives and doing searches there. In the 'Files'
      section there is more information that may be helpful.

      Check out http://sengokudaimyo.com and http://tousando.proboards18.com
      for more info. Depending on what you are looking for we can give you
      even more sites to look into.

      -Ii