Re: [SCA-JML] kabuto

  • sekinakagawa@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 8, 2007
      Jeremy,
      I got two Zunari made by Lord James out of LA, his web site is down right
      now but you can see mine in this site at the photos, he ask for $250.00 plus
      postage, he also make another style, I think is a 16plate kabuto and it is
      less expensive, he does both SCA fighting legal and dress. His e-mail is
      _killjot_3841@..._ (mailto:killjot_3841@...) , tell him "Zik"
      recommend him.

      Humbly,
      Nakagawa Sukeie

      but not to ask and remain ignorant, is a life long shame.

    • Michael Peters
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 8, 2007
        I'd like to address a couple of points here.

        First I don't do "custom" pieces. To me custom is extremely odd or off
        sized pieces I can't sell if a customer flakes. For every story you've heard
        about armourers flaking off there are 100 that armourers don't tell about
        customers flaking. If a piece has a good chance of being sold if the
        original orderer disappears it isn't custom. I don't consider standard
        japanese armour custom.

        Second deposits has nothing to do with queue length. I *DO* live overseas.
        My customers have to send money either by bank transfer or Western Union.
        These services cost + currency conversion + shipping costs. I don't want to
        burden my customers with these costs twice. While I am not active in the SCA
        currently, I do recognize that upgrading your kit is difficult when you are
        spending money going to events all the time. I am in business and expect to
        be paid for my skill and time, but I don't want my customers to spend more
        than they have to. In addition, a no deposit policy covers my customers if
        the world should cave in (fire, car accident, divorce, etc. etc). I
        currently have 1 order in the queue. It will be a month late from the
        original estimate as my laser-cutting company has flaked out and I am going
        back to cutting out everything myself.

        My in-stock page is current. Usually, in-stock pieces are new product
        examples or pieces where the customer disappeared.

        More than once I have posted to the list about my custom policy, yet these
        rumors about my not taking orders persist. Mostly from people I've never met
        and never had as a customer.

        Mykaru
        Michael J. Peters
        Black Hydra Armouries

        >From: "Donald Luby" <donald.luby@...>
        >To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] kabuto
        >Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 12:29:26 -0500
        >
        >On 2/8/07, jeremy D <jeremydalaska@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Who has the best kabuto for sale?
        > >

        >It reallt depends on what you mean by 'best':
        >
        >You can find armorers who would be willing to make most anything for you,
        >but you're going to pay through the nose for it, especially if they don't
        >usually make that style; my kabuto, for example, was made by a Laurel in
        >armoring - 32-plate bowl, 300+ rivets, brass hachi and mon on the
        >fuki-gaeshi, &c, and that would run well over $1000 today. I should
        >mention
        >that I waited 2 years for it (I knew that going in), and the armorer was so
        >frustrated by his own need for perfection that he's sworn off ever making
        >another :-\
        >
        >www.blackhydraarmouries.com does in fact make some really ncie armor, but
        >they aren't accepting any custom orders at the moment, and given that
        >they're not accepting deposits for orders makes me think that they're way
        >behind in delivery, and it could be years before you see anything you see
        >anything from them.
        >
        >clang.adkinssoftware.com<http://clang.adkinssoftware.com/helm%2520pics/helm%2520kabuto%252001.html>does
        >pretty good work, but they appear to be pretty backlogged too, and IMO
        >overcharge for what you get.
        >
        >Other options include checking eBay, making sure that what they're selling
        >will be what you need it for (i.e. if for SCA combat, make sure it passes
        >all SCA combat regs, especially steel thickness and eyeslots and the like)
        >
        >If you post for what you're actually looking for, with a price range, I
        >think there are enough people on this list who might be able to point you
        >at
        >an armorer who could help you.
        >

        > > Thanks
        > >

        > > Jeremy
        > >

        >Sir Koredono

      • J. Norton
        Message 3 of 10 , May 14, 2008
          Has anyone done a kabuto using an older (WWII) steel military helmet as a shortcut for the body/bowl. It seems like this would save a significant amount of time even taking into consideration modifiying it cosmetically to appear to have been made of multi-plates et riveted.

          Is there a reason why I would not want to do this? (from a practical standpoint... I know there are myriad aesthetic reasons...)

          If someone has is there anything I need to be cautious of?

          Thanks

          Jeremy

        • David
          Message 4 of 10 , May 14, 2008
            My first kabuto was made that way with 16 Ga. sides, "mempo" and
            topped off with 1/4" round bar. I fought in it for several years and
            served me well. The WWII army pots have a special alloy. It welds
            normally but will dent easily. Since it is a work hardening steel do
            NOT attempt to remove any of those dents as it can cause it to crack.
            It does look decent but the spun domes are far better in the long
            run. If you intend to use an army pot be sure it is a WWII helmet and
            not a later one because the later ones are softer and will not stand
            up to the kind of punishment we will subject it to.

            Happy gunching!
            Ishikawa Moritake, the original "Jap Vader"

            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "J. Norton" <princebeowulf@...> wrote:

            > Has anyone done a kabuto using an older (WWII) steel military helmet
            as a shortcut for the body/bowl. It seems like this would save a
            significant amount of time even taking into consideration modifiying
            it cosmetically to appear to have been made of multi-plates et riveted.

            > Is there a reason why I would not want to do this? (from a
            practical standpoint... I know there are myriad aesthetic reasons...)

            > If someone has is there anything I need to be cautious of?
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Jeremy

          • rhoward
            Message 5 of 10 , May 14, 2008
              Kombanwa,

              I, too, started my career with a converted WWII US Army helmet. While the look was good for its
              time, it sufferred some of the difficulties that the honorable Ishikawa Moritake described.

              Calontir outlawed the use of Army helmets for helm construction for this, and other reasons (i.e.
              insufficient mass), and the crusty old thing (which was grandfathered) was auctioned off when it
              failed to make inspections.

              Be sure to check your kingdom's marshallate documents and The Society's
              (http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/armored/marshal_handbook.pdf) to see what your
              parameters are, if you have not done so already.

              Best of luck,
              Yoshi

              Akitsuki Yoshimitsu - Barony of Coeur d'Ennui, Kingdom of Calontir
              Wealth and rank are like the clouds; I do not wish for such transient things.

              Message 6 of 10 , May 14, 2008

                Greetings from Solveig! I haven't made a helmet in years, but
                converting a WWII US Army helmet sounds like rather a lot of work for
                what you get. Why not just make a segmented Japanese helmet? There
                are probably plans posted to the Yama Kaminari web site.