Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Back to the original Umeboshi recipe

    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 7, 2007

      > Not *so* bad, since I found a reference to "araki" in 30 seconds and
      > you couldn't find one at all. I note I wasn't the only one who had no
      > trouble.

      But, where is your treasured reference to "araki"? The web page you
      cited only cites mention of something called "araki" in the writings of
      Francis Xavier a 16th century Jesuit missionary. I have never contested
      that "araki" was unknown in Iberia during the 16th century.

      Where I am having problems finding araki in Japan prior to 1600 is in
      genuine scholarly sources about Japan.

      Please understand that there are several online alternatives to
      in various fields being created by scholars who are very unhappy with
      articles being put up there. While a study did find Wikipedia articles
      somewhat comparable to the Encyclopedia Britannica, this is not at all
      surprising as it is extremely easy for people who know nothing at all
      a subject to plagiarize Britannica.

      Mundanely, I am a college professor. Students are always trying to
      stop with Wikipedia and a google search instead of starting there.
      The result is often a very poor and even flat out inaccurate paper.

      While lack of evidence does not guarantee non-existence, it does mean
      that you should not be making strong claims.

      Incidentally, Kodansha Kogojiten (1969)(p. 926) says that "rambiki" is
      derived from a Portugese word and actually refers to a distillation
      called an alambic. Thus, your Wikipedia article disagrees with published
      Japanese scholarship.

      The problem is that Wikipedia articles can be written by anyone at
      any time.
      They can be very accurate or contain hog swill. You have very little
      way of
      knowing which without looking further.

      Also, you need to understand that the editorial guidelines for
      Wikipedia are
      such that the articles will be poor for subject areas where the best
      are in languages other than English. This is because the Wikipedia
      guidelines strongly prefer English language sources to sources in other
      languages. For example, the non-existence of "tessenjutsu" in Japanese
      sources counts for nothing compared to a fanciful description in
      of the Samurai" a book which is in places on a par with popular books
      Sasquatch, Leprechauns, and secret Space Aliens at Roswell, New Mexico.
      In short, Wikipedia editorial policy gives more credence to articles
      in grocery
      store tabloids written in English than to Ph.D. dissertations written
      in Japanese.