[SCA-JML] Katsuo (was: Umeboshi.....eh?)

  • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2007

      > I ran across a detailed description of how to make katsuo bushi
      > several years ago. Unfortunately, I don't recall where it is.
      > Regardless, it is a rather involved process. Shaving is the final
      > process. Before shaving, the fish looks a lot like a piece of
      > wood. I have even seen one of the things hanging under the eves of a
      > house.

      I find Katsuo-bushi to be one of strangest varieties of dried fish,
      and yet it is so useful (does anyone know if they ever used this
      technique for fish beyond 'katsuo'? That seems to be the standard).

      It is dried and pressed so that it looks enough like a block of wood
      that people actually use the wood terminology: It is counted as
      'logs' might be counted. The tool to shave it is a plane, etc.

      I wonder if you could whittle it into a subtlety?

      So, here's the perfect food for all you wood-workers out there ;)