Re: Winter Garb & Stuff...

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2007
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Kristin" <ticklequen@...> wrote:
      > It is hard to find books at the Barns and
      > Noble or Borders to research Japanese culture and garb.
      Yes, yes it is. But not always impossible.

      > :-( This might
      > seem silly, but I don't know how to research this on the web.

      http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/ Go to the "Costume History In Japan"
      section at the left and browse by period. Kamakura through Momoyama is
      sort of lumped together. Still a GREAT website though.

      http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/japanese/index.html
      Mouse over the word "Japanese" at the left and a pulldown menu will
      appear. "The 1-2-3's of Japanese" includes some clothing construction
      information.

      http://www.geocities.com/anne_liese_w/Japanese/japindex.htm repeats
      some of the same information as Reconstructinghistory, but the
      nagabakama instructions may be easier to follow.

      http://www.wodefordhall.com is mine. I've tried to make it good. The
      page on kosode includes links to surviving garments, mostly from the
      Momoyama period. See what you think - and TELL me if it's not good. I
      can't improve it if I don't know what people are having problems with.

      Get your hands on a copy of Liza Dalby's "Kimono: Fashioning Culture"
      if you are at all interested in doing court dress. It devotes a full
      chapter to Heian color palettes. Honestly, if you're going to do
      Japanese dress, particularly for women, this book give you context and
      will help you understand WHY you wear something the way you do.

      Hope this helps.