Re: [SCA-JML] Re:Re: Umeboshi.....eh?

    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 3, 2007

      > I will admit that I haven't tried the chicken sashimi recipe yet.
      I don't recommend chicken sashimi in North America unless you raise
      the birds yourself. The problem with North American chickens these
      days is that they generally have salmonella. This is a comparatively
      recent problem. When I was in elementary school, raw eggs were still
      considered safe. As for plums. We had two plum trees in our back yard
      along with two apple trees and a bunch of berry vines.

      > "Apricot" is still inaccurate, but it's a

      You really have to put Japanese in front as Apricots are a different
      species as well.

      > I've never lived in an area without Japanese markets so I've not been
      > forced to that extreme yet. I have dried fish before, but I'm sure
      > there's a trick to get it rock hard like the Japanese manage to do.

      I ran across a detailed description of how to make katsuo bushi
      several years ago. Unfortunately, I don't recall where it is.
      Regardless, it is a rather involved process. Shaving is the final
      process. Before shaving, the fish looks a lot like a piece of
      wood. I have even seen one of the things hanging under the eves of a
      house.

      > My Canon Wordtank has both as a translation, as well as Shogakukan!
      > The
      > freeware JEDICT only has plum, the one I usually 'grab' when I'm on my
      > computer. (Might need to update!) Shogakukan uses plum though to
      > describe all of the derivatives like umeboshi, etc.

      This is probably a concession to early mislabeling.

      > I'm also sure that you could probably cause a national riot if you
      > made
      > a claim that only this one type of umeboshi is the real one. The other
      > 99.9% would have to hammer you. It would be as bad as some of the
      > ramen
      > wars ;)

      On the other hand, there are several places in Japan which claim to
      be the true home of Momotarou. And, there can be fairly aggressive
      regional advertising for miso.

    • chasrmartin
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 3, 2007
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, James Eckman <ronin_engineer@...> wrote:

        > I'm positive that outside of 3-4 select areas in the US, that asking
        for
        > umeboshi would get you a completely blank look. Asking in anything but
        > an Asian market in those select areas will probably get you a blank
        look.

        Seriously, most any health-food grocery should have them: they're
        central to Michio Kushi's "macrobiotic" diet. Failing that, the
        Amazon ones from Eden Foods are the same brand as the health food
        store ones.

        Or, you could try my local Japanese foods store, which I've just
        discovered has an online operation now. These are *dramatically* less
        expensive.

        http://www.pacificeastwest.com/pipr.html

        I like the Nanki brand.

        > > So if I wanted an AUTHENTIC umeboshi experience, I should be
        > > doing what?
        > >
        > > Should I just get the damned things off of Amazon??? LOL :) :) :)
        > > (geez, is there nothing you cannot get off of amazon?)
        >
        > Yes. I haven't seen geisha advertised there yet, but perhaps I'm not
        > looking in the right location ;)

        The upkeep will kill you anyway.
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 4, 2007

          >> I'm positive that outside of 3-4 select areas in the US, that
          >> asking for
          >> umeboshi would get you a completely blank look. Asking in anything
          >> but
          >> an Asian market in those select areas will probably get you a blank
          I believe that you are underestimating the availability of Asian
          grocery stores not to mention the health food stores and natural food
          stores already mentioned. Try just about any university town with a
          significant asian foreign student population.