representing at an event

  • Jason Adams
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 3, 2007
      Ok here's one for all you literary guru's....

      I hope to represent a nice little camp at some events in 2008. Where
      do I start with referrences on military camps?

      So far, "Kagemusha" and "Samurai Banners" show the curtain walls very
      nicely in scale and show placement of the wind vent/slats. Also, it
      goes to figure if Japanese fabric bolts are 16" wide, then having five
      widths sewn together (as seen very clearly in Kagemusha) than the
      height would be roughly 6 feet. It adds up correctly, *IF* that is
      the correct measurements to use. (I read that japanese fabric bolts
      are 16 inches wide from a book on Kimonos)

      So, what about everything INSIDE the curtain??? Did they not errect
      any tents, huts or any other structures? Did the senior officers have
      a raised dias on which to sit their folding stools on? Their banners
      were displayed behind them on these dias as well, correct? I guess
      this would pertain to camps set up for semi-permanent use, like in a
      siege. Of coarse, I dont know, what did they use in the field?

      Im also flying with speculation from the festivals Ive seen that go on
      yearly in Japan. Now I realize that commercialized festivals may not
      be 100% accurate, but that is where I started, NOT where I am
      finishing :) P.S. Did you know the Yorii Hojo festival uses
      sponge-like foam tipped weapons? Not much chance of switching from
      rattan here eh? lol They also use airsoft-powered arquebus and canon.
      hmmmmm....

      Are there any good books? I love to read! Im also an art lover and
      paintings are perfect too. Ive seen a scroll of Kawanakajima
      (original art) showing the pavise-like shields and battle lines facing
      off and the like, but it did not show the camp!

      Toss me some referrence titles, Ok?

      Cheers!
      -Jason Adams
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 3, 2007

        > I hope to represent a nice little camp at some events in 2008. Where
        > do I start with referrences on military camps?

        One of your best sources, unless of course you feel up to reading
        Japanese historical essays, are battle paintings. You can find a lot
        of these reproduced in a series of "mooks" put out by Gakken.

        Here is one:
        ISBN-13: 978-4051051396
        There is actually a whole series of these things. If you follow the
        customers also bought links on Amazon you will find stuff like:

        ISBN-13: 978-4056025019
        ISBN-13: 978-4056026382
        ISBN-13: 978-4056026405
        ISBN-13: 978-4056022094

        Since you have plenty of time. I suggest that you get at least one.
        The titles of the whole series along with pictures of the covers
        should be listed in the backmatter. You can then more easily go
        about picking ones which catch your interest.

        > So, what about everything INSIDE the curtain??? Did they not errect
        > any tents, huts or any other structures?

        Not to the best of my recollection.

        > Did the senior officers have a raised dias on which to sit their
        > folding stools on?

        No dias is necessary.

        > Their banners were displayed behind them on these dias as well,
        > correct?

        Pretty much.

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 3, 2007

          > So far, "Kagemusha" and "Samurai Banners" show the curtain walls very
          > nicely in scale and show placement of the wind vent/slats.

          Actually, I would recommend Ran over Samurai Banners. Although, Samurai
          Banners isn't at all bad. The neat thing about that Mifune vehicle is
          that it
          does deliver on showing lots of banners. Or at least so I recall.
          Regardless,
          the art directors for Ran and Kagemusha are almost certainly familiar
          with
          battle paintings.

          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 3, 2007
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:

            > Ok here's one for all you literary guru's....
            >
            > I hope to represent a nice little camp at some events in 2008. Where
            > do I start with referrences on military camps?

            Have you been here yet? It has sections on Japanese encampments,
            banners and so forth.
            http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/miscellany.html

            http://www.yamakaminari.com/ may also be of interest. They have a
            pretty impressive encampment at Pennsic.

          • darth
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 3, 2007
              i have built a few structures for some events, the pictures are on fuguvillage.org. under
              events. if you are interested i can give you some plans and so on. hope this helps. D-
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 3, 2007

                Greetings from Solveig! I found another recipe for umeboshi in
                Shinpan Nihon Ryouri Gogenshuu by Nakamura Koubei.
                On page 93 we find an entry for umeboshi. He writes that you wash the
                ume and soak them overnight to remove their bitter taste. You then
                take 2 kg of processed ume, 400 g of salt, 250 g. of (presumably red)
                shiso leaf and mix them together in a crock. You then cover them
                with a lightly weighted lid and let them sit for 2 or 3 days. He
                then writes that you should pour off the shiso coloured broth. You
                should then pick a day with sunny weather and let them dry in the sun
                for about 2 or 3 days. However, you are supposed to return them to
                the original broth during the evening. This is supposed to perfect
                their colour. The author then goes on to write about the health
                benefits of eating umeboshi.

              • Jason Adams
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 4, 2007
                  I had not noticed that Mr. Bryants site had an encampment page!!
                  Thank you for pointing that out :) Does he attend any events? I bet
                  he would be someone neat to meet!

                  thanks!
                  -Jason

                  > Have you been here yet? It has sections on Japanese encampments,
                  > banners and so forth.
                  > http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/miscellany.html
                  >
                  > http://www.yamakaminari.com/ may also be of interest. They have a
                  > pretty impressive encampment at Pennsic.
                  >
                  > Saionji no Hanae
                  > West Kingdom

                • Jason Adams
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 4, 2007
                    hey, all right :) Sounds good, thanks!
                    -Jason

                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 4, 2007

                      > I had not noticed that Mr. Bryants site had an encampment page!!
                      > Thank you for pointing that out :) Does he attend any events? I bet
                      > he would be someone neat to meet!

                      Anthony Bryant is Baron Edward of Effingham, OP, OL who, last I
                      heard, lives in Atlantia. Last time I saw him was at Pennsic about a
                      year and a half ago.

                    • Otagiri Tatsuzou
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 4, 2007
                        > I hope to represent a nice little camp at some events in 2008.

                        I want to "up" my camping experience a little as well.
                        This year I decided to get some classier buke gear in place.

                        Armor Stand
                        http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=armour&action=display&thread=1170090676

                        Weapon Rack
                        http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=arms&action=display&thread=1169192183

                        Tate
                        http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=heiho&action=display&thread=1170631434

                        There are other ways to approach every project I did. But each project
                        only took a weekend, a saw, a hammer and nails, a couple of sponge
                        brushes and stain, an electric drill and less than $20 bucks of wood.

                        Otagiri
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 4, 2007
                          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:

                          > So, what about everything INSIDE the curtain??? Did they not errect
                          > any tents, huts or any other structures? Did the senior officers have
                          > a raised dias on which to sit their folding stools on?

                          Otagiri-dono's post jarred my memory. Folding stools. Doh!

                          This civil war sutler has some very sturdy oak folding stools with
                          canvas seats if you don't want to try building your own. I bought a
                          pair last year and they've been extremely handy. Scroll way down to
                          the bottom of the page.
                          http://www.blockaderunner.com/Catalog/catpg27a.html

                          I've seen similar stools at Walmart for about half the price. For
                          about half the price they're not as nicely finished either.

                          http://www.currentmiddleages.org/tents/chair3romanstool.pdf is about
                          Roman stools, but the configuration is similar to the Japanese shogi
                          and I figure if you do want to DIY, these plans would be easily adapted.

                          Cheers,
                          Saionji no Hanae
                        • rhoward
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 4, 2007
                            A weekend well spent, Otagiri-dono!

                            There are additional tate photos in the SCA-JML photo files (Encampments). If I can find them, I'll
                            post some photos from the encampments used in a few of the Japanese-themed speciality tournaments
                            I've hosted at a couple of Calontir Lilies War and an Estrella. Those "events" utilized jin-maku
                            (both sheet and actual strip variety), tate, armor racks, weapons racks, daises, and kagari
                            (braziers or fire baskets), etc.

                            Yoshi

                            Akitsuki Yoshimitsu - Barony of Coeur d'Ennui, Kingdom of Calontir
                            Wealth and rank are like the clouds; I do not wish for such transient things.

                            > I hope to represent a nice little camp at some events in 2008.

                            I want to "up" my camping experience a little as well.
                            This year I decided to get some classier buke gear in place.

                            Armor Stand
                            http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=armour&action=display&thread=1170090676

                            Weapon Rack
                            http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=arms&action=display&thread=1169192183

                            Tate
                            http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=heiho&action=display&thread=1170631434

                            There are other ways to approach every project I did. But each project
                            only took a weekend, a saw, a hammer and nails, a couple of sponge
                            brushes and stain, an electric drill and less than $20 bucks of wood.

                            Otagiri

                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                          • lawrence warnock
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 5, 2007
                              Most impresive Otagiri-Dono! Would that I could see then in action(however
                              static that may be!)But I 'm too far and too poor to make it this year.
                              Enjoy the fruits of your labor while your out.

                              Miguel Neves de Lisboa (Meiguru)

                              something more.
                              http://click4thecause.live.com/search/charity/default.aspx?source=hmemtagline_gratitude&FORM=WLMTAG
                            • Jason Adams
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 5, 2007
                                Thats freakin sweet!
                                -Jason

                                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Otagiri Tatsuzou" <ronbroberg@...> wrote:

                                > > I hope to represent a nice little camp at some events in 2008.
                                >
                                > I want to "up" my camping experience a little as well.
                                > This year I decided to get some classier buke gear in place.
                                >
                                > Armor Stand

                                http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=armour&action=display&thread=1170090676

                                > Weapon Rack

                                http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=arms&action=display&thread=1169192183

                                > Tate

                                http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=heiho&action=display&thread=1170631434

                                > There are other ways to approach every project I did. But each project
                                > only took a weekend, a saw, a hammer and nails, a couple of sponge
                                > brushes and stain, an electric drill and less than $20 bucks of wood.
                                >
                                > Otagiri

                              • Jason Adams
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 5, 2007
                                  What about woven mats? I dont mean Goza, but rather in Kagemusha, at
                                  least when indoors, they show the Generals sitting on these yellow-ish
                                  woven mats. When they turn thier body toward Takeda (or rather, the
                                  double) to speak, the whole mat slides with them. Maybe that was its
                                  purpose?

                                  Any close-ups of these anywhere? Im in a weaving mood :)

                                  -Jason

                                  > Otagiri-dono's post jarred my memory. Folding stools. Doh!
                                  >

                                  > Cheers,
                                  > Saionji no Hanae

                                • Barbara Nostrand
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 5, 2007

                                    Greetings from Solveig! In case you are beginning to suspect that I am a
                                    reincarnation of Prof. Quincy Adams Wagstaf, I should point out that I
                                    am all in favor of folding camp stools and have been using them as props
                                    in kyogen plays for a good 15 years now.

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 5, 2007

                                      > What about woven mats? I dont mean Goza, but rather in Kagemusha, at
                                      > least when indoors, they show the Generals sitting on these yellow-ish
                                      > woven mats. When they turn thier body toward Takeda (or rather, the
                                      > double) to speak, the whole mat slides with them. Maybe that was its
                                      > purpose?

                                      Search for enza. Please understand that these are simply a variety of
                                      seat.
                                      They are NOT a dais and you do not walk on them. They are an alternative
                                      to zabuton. They are generally used on outside walkways and similar
                                      places.

                                      Anyway, here is a fairly nice enza:

                                      http://www.orientalspace.com/07/0708/000117.html

                                    • Jason Adams
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Feb 6, 2007
                                        There you go, thats exactly what I was looking for! :) Being its just
                                        a spiral, it cant be that hard to weave.

                                        thanks again! :)
                                        -Jason