Re: Japanese Winter Garb?

  • Jason Adams
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007
      Ha, no thanks Cap! Actually, it has some very close-up photos of the
      padding matterial. THATs why I sent the link :) Its winter-based,
      its lined and padded, I thought it would help with construction notes.
      eh, take what you can from it, leave the rest. Just like philosophy :)

      -Jason

      > OK, Jason-dono. Your mission, should you decide to accept it is to
      > find proof something like that was worn prior to 1600. ;->
      >
      > Just because it's "vintage" doesn't mean it's period.
      >
      > Saionji no Hanae
      > West Kingdom

    • Jason Adams
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007
        Well, if we're gonna go THERE.... lol

        You can, of coarse put peppers all over your body too. thats in the
        "Samurai Sourcebook" along with some interesting "folk" medicines and
        emergency rations. lol I love how the last line reguards NOT to put
        it in your eyes!!!! LMAO! Im waiting for Ben Stine to pop up "For
        dry, burning eyes, use clear eyes..."

        -Jason

        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Otagiri Tatsuzou" <ronbroberg@...>

        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:

          > Ha, no thanks Cap! Actually, it has some very close-up photos of the
          > padding matterial. THATs why I sent the link :) Its winter-based,
          > its lined and padded, I thought it would help with construction notes.
          > eh, take what you can from it, leave the rest.

          My point is that you can't take ANYTHING from it if you can't prove it
          exists in the period you are trying to represent. To do so you have to
          find (A) surviving examples from the period or (B) written
          descriptions from the period of someone wearing one or (C) paintings
          and drawings from the period showing someone wearing them.

          Enthusiasm is admirable and I applaud yours. Now if we can just focus
          that enthusiasm in the right direction.....
          (OMG, that stupid LJ meme was right. I AM Yoda.)

          Saionji no Hanae
        • Jason Adams
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 4, 2007
            Indeed, I agree with you wholeheartedly! I didnt mean to sound pissy
            over the post or anything, just trying to be helpful :) But seriously
            though, does the close ups of the material and padding work?

            Now, if you can wear long green ears and fight while on your knees,
            hopping around like a crazy little carnie, I will call you Jedi Master :)

            -Jason

            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 4, 2007
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:
              > Now, if you can wear long green ears and fight while on your knees,
              > hopping around like a crazy little carnie, I will call you Jedi
              Master :)

              Well, our eyes are sort of the same
              pond-scum-shining-in-the-morning-sun color, but I'm much taller and
              prettier (even on a bad day). And I'm pretty good with The Smackity
              Fan. ;->

            • Jason Adams
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 5, 2007
                LOL well, that's ok. Maybe not a Yoda, but I have great respect for
                anyone with a good grip on the smackity fan! We need to hold a
                "Takeshi's castle" (MXC) sometime! lol

                -Jason