Re: Inspiration has struck; quick, someone get a first aid kit!

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 2, 2007
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:

      > So, lacking any other asian-minded history enthusiests out here, Ive
      > decided to make my own friends... no wait, that came out wrong. I
      > mean, Im a lonely little artist with no one to play with....

      I feel your pain - not many Nihonjin local to me either. ;->

      I'll defer to the militaria experts on the picking of nits, but it's a
      good drawing. You get an A+ in particular on the guy lying beside the
      fire - that's a difficult angle and you handled the foreshortening well.

      > And dont give me any "its supposed to have 266 stiches on that seam!"

      Rest assured, while the detail on some period paintings is incredible,
      its not THAT incredible.

      http://www.bowdoin.edu/mongol-scrolls/ shows digital images of scrolls
      depicting the Mongol invasion - if you look at the 13th century one,
      lacing is rendered as colored stripes (in other words, very simply).

      Nice work.

    • sekinakagawa@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 3, 2007
        Ohiogosaimas,
        Very Inspirational, can't wait till the end product, I can only think of
        Yama Kaminari when I see drawings like this one. They nare living the Japanese
        SCA dream.

        Humbly,
        Nakagawa Sukeie

        To ask a question may be a moments shame,
        but not to ask and remain ignorant is a life long shame.

      • Jason Adams
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 3, 2007
          Thank you :)

          -Jason

          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Diane Taylor <qara0@...> wrote:

          > Very Nice!!!
          >
          > Kumagaya Tenshi

        • Jason Adams
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 3, 2007
            Thanks for the kind words :) Im digging that scroll and its derrivatives!

            Ive also noted some books on Amazon; Ill get them from the Library to
            check out before I buy, that have artworks from Muromachi and Momoyama
            periods too. If they're any good, Ill post them for you.

            Thanks!
            -Jason

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 3, 2007
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the kind words :) Im digging that scroll and its
              derrivatives!

              > Ive also noted some books on Amazon; Ill get them from the Library to
              > check out before I buy, that have artworks from Muromachi and Momoyama
              > periods too. If they're any good, Ill post them for you.

              If you have any good local used bookstores, you may strike gold there.
              I've been slowly building my library from things I find in the
              wonderful used bookstores near UC Berkeley, particularly Moe's.

              Some titles I have that I think you might like if you can find them.
              The Heibonsha Survey of Art series is awesome. I keep finding random
              volumes of it and I'm up to six of them at this point:

              Smith, Bradley. Japan: A History In Art (New York, Simon and Schuster)
              1964. ASIN: B000HMYV42

              Ienaga, Saburou. Paintings in the Yamato Style - Heibonsha Survey of
              Art (Art Media Resources; [1st English ed.] edition, December 1973)
              ISBN 978-0834810167

              Yuzo, Yamane. Momoyama Genre Paintings - Heibonsha Survey of Art (Art
              Media Resources; [1st English ed.] edition, January 1974) ISBN
              978-0834810129

              Cheers,
              Saionji no Hanae

              Okudaira, Hideo & Ten Grotenhuis, Elizabeth. Narrative Picture Scrolls
              (Weatherhill; [1st ed.] edition, December 1973)ISBN 978-0834827103
            • Jason Adams
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 4, 2007
                Very cool! thanks very kindly. Wow, amazon has 31 volumes of that
                Heibosha Survey of Art series! Cool beans :)

                Unfortunately there arent any used book stores. When I lived in
                Pittsburgh tehre were lots. Ill have to check around Toledo.

                thanks again,
                -Jason

                > Some titles I have that I think you might like if you can find them.
                > The Heibonsha Survey of Art series is awesome. I keep finding random
                > volumes of it and I'm up to six of them at this point:
                >
                > Smith, Bradley. Japan: A History In Art (New York, Simon and Schuster)
                > 1964. ASIN: B000HMYV42
                >
                > Ienaga, Saburou. Paintings in the Yamato Style - Heibonsha Survey of
                > Art (Art Media Resources; [1st English ed.] edition, December 1973)
                > ISBN 978-0834810167
                >
                > Yuzo, Yamane. Momoyama Genre Paintings - Heibonsha Survey of Art (Art
                > Media Resources; [1st English ed.] edition, January 1974) ISBN
                > 978-0834810129
                >
                > Cheers,
                > Saionji no Hanae
                >
                > Okudaira, Hideo & Ten Grotenhuis, Elizabeth. Narrative Picture Scrolls
                > (Weatherhill; [1st ed.] edition, December 1973)ISBN 978-0834827103

              • jrwences
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 10, 2007
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:

                  > Point of bringing this up: before I go nuts on adding the fine detail,
                  > such as *lacing* and the like; if anyone can point me out any major
                  > discrepencies, I'd like to get them fixed before it will become major
                  > surgery.
                  >
                  > And dont give me any "its supposed to have 266 stiches on that seam!"
                  > :) Im anal-retentive when it comes to detail, but Im not hashing ANY
                  > stitches in those seems!! lol Some things should just be left to
                  > assumption, if not imagination.
                  >
                  > arigatou,
                  > -Jason Adams

                  Just one question--left handed hashi?
                • Jason Adams
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 11, 2007
                    OMG! You're right, I didnt even think! lol thanks for pointing that
                    out :)
                    -Jason