[SCA-JML] Re: Hanging Pouches

  • akimoya
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2000
      On Wed, 2 Feb 2000 Markejag@... wrote:

      > Prior to the Edo period there were three major sagemono ('hanging things')
      > which were attached to the obi (sash). On the right hip was worn the inro
      > (medicine box), commonly made from wood, ivory or dried lacquer. All the
      > other pouches were worn on the left hip, these included the hiuchi bukuro
      > (flint-pouch), carried around to start fires with and the kinchaku (money
      > pouch), commonly used to carry money and notably larger than the hiuchi
      > bukuro. Both of these were made from leather, animal skin, or silk.

      > Earlier there is evidence that that all three were worn on whatever
      > side the person wanted.

      > All three are sling over the obi and the pouch drawn down through the
      > cord to keep it secure and from falling off the obi.

      Can you give any sources for pictures, or drawings, or even descriptions
      of the above? Especially for the Momoyama period.

      Akimoya
      Ealdormere
    • Markejag@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2000
        See if you can find the book, Japanese Inro by Julia Hutt. This is best for
        reference. Some primary quotes from source of Momoyama period. (Momoyama
        dono gyookoo okazariki) sorry, my editor dosen't have the o with a line over
        the top :-( Very few pre-Edo pictures. :-(

        Fumio
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 6, 2000
          Markejag@... wrote:

          > See if you can find the book, Japanese Inro by Julia Hutt. This is best for
          > reference. Some primary quotes from source of Momoyama period. (Momoyama
          > dono gyookoo okazariki) sorry, my editor dosen't have the o with a line over
          > the top :-( Very few pre-Edo pictures. :-(

          Great book. I suspect it's influenced more than one collector into starting a
          dangerous hobby. <G>

          Effingham/Hiraizumi