Inspiration has struck; quick, someone get a first aid kit!

  • Jason Adams
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 2, 2007
      So, lacking any other asian-minded history enthusiests out here, Ive
      decided to make my own friends... no wait, that came out wrong. I
      mean, Im a lonely little artist with no one to play with.... eh. I'd
      like to see this someday:

      http://banditt.uber-geek.us/japan/samurai_relax_camp01.gif

      But will have to settle for my imagination.

      Point of bringing this up: before I go nuts on adding the fine detail,
      such as *lacing* and the like; if anyone can point me out any major
      discrepencies, I'd like to get them fixed before it will become major
      surgery.

      And dont give me any "its supposed to have 266 stiches on that seam!"
      :) Im anal-retentive when it comes to detail, but Im not hashing ANY
      stitches in those seems!! lol Some things should just be left to
      assumption, if not imagination.

      arigatou,
      -Jason Adams
    • Diane Taylor

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 2, 2007
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:

          > So, lacking any other asian-minded history enthusiests out here, Ive
          > decided to make my own friends... no wait, that came out wrong. I
          > mean, Im a lonely little artist with no one to play with....

          I feel your pain - not many Nihonjin local to me either. ;->

          I'll defer to the militaria experts on the picking of nits, but it's a
          good drawing. You get an A+ in particular on the guy lying beside the
          fire - that's a difficult angle and you handled the foreshortening well.

          > And dont give me any "its supposed to have 266 stiches on that seam!"

          Rest assured, while the detail on some period paintings is incredible,
          its not THAT incredible.

          http://www.bowdoin.edu/mongol-scrolls/ shows digital images of scrolls
          depicting the Mongol invasion - if you look at the 13th century one,
          lacing is rendered as colored stripes (in other words, very simply).

          Nice work.

        • sekinakagawa@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 3, 2007
            Ohiogosaimas,
            Very Inspirational, can't wait till the end product, I can only think of
            Yama Kaminari when I see drawings like this one. They nare living the Japanese
            SCA dream.

            Humbly,
            Nakagawa Sukeie

            To ask a question may be a moments shame,
            but not to ask and remain ignorant is a life long shame.

          • Jason Adams
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 3, 2007
              Thank you :)

              -Jason

              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Diane Taylor <qara0@...> wrote:

              > Very Nice!!!
              >
              > Kumagaya Tenshi

            • Jason Adams
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 3, 2007
                Thanks for the kind words :) Im digging that scroll and its derrivatives!

                Ive also noted some books on Amazon; Ill get them from the Library to
                check out before I buy, that have artworks from Muromachi and Momoyama
                periods too. If they're any good, Ill post them for you.

                Thanks!
                -Jason

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 3, 2007
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for the kind words :) Im digging that scroll and its
                  derrivatives!

                  > Ive also noted some books on Amazon; Ill get them from the Library to
                  > check out before I buy, that have artworks from Muromachi and Momoyama
                  > periods too. If they're any good, Ill post them for you.

                  If you have any good local used bookstores, you may strike gold there.
                  I've been slowly building my library from things I find in the
                  wonderful used bookstores near UC Berkeley, particularly Moe's.

                  Some titles I have that I think you might like if you can find them.
                  The Heibonsha Survey of Art series is awesome. I keep finding random
                  volumes of it and I'm up to six of them at this point:

                  Smith, Bradley. Japan: A History In Art (New York, Simon and Schuster)
                  1964. ASIN: B000HMYV42

                  Ienaga, Saburou. Paintings in the Yamato Style - Heibonsha Survey of
                  Art (Art Media Resources; [1st English ed.] edition, December 1973)
                  ISBN 978-0834810167

                  Yuzo, Yamane. Momoyama Genre Paintings - Heibonsha Survey of Art (Art
                  Media Resources; [1st English ed.] edition, January 1974) ISBN
                  978-0834810129

                  Cheers,
                  Saionji no Hanae

                  Okudaira, Hideo & Ten Grotenhuis, Elizabeth. Narrative Picture Scrolls
                  (Weatherhill; [1st ed.] edition, December 1973)ISBN 978-0834827103
                • Jason Adams
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 4, 2007
                    Very cool! thanks very kindly. Wow, amazon has 31 volumes of that
                    Heibosha Survey of Art series! Cool beans :)

                    Unfortunately there arent any used book stores. When I lived in
                    Pittsburgh tehre were lots. Ill have to check around Toledo.

                    thanks again,
                    -Jason

                    > Some titles I have that I think you might like if you can find them.
                    > The Heibonsha Survey of Art series is awesome. I keep finding random
                    > volumes of it and I'm up to six of them at this point:
                    >
                    > Smith, Bradley. Japan: A History In Art (New York, Simon and Schuster)
                    > 1964. ASIN: B000HMYV42
                    >
                    > Ienaga, Saburou. Paintings in the Yamato Style - Heibonsha Survey of
                    > Art (Art Media Resources; [1st English ed.] edition, December 1973)
                    > ISBN 978-0834810167
                    >
                    > Yuzo, Yamane. Momoyama Genre Paintings - Heibonsha Survey of Art (Art
                    > Media Resources; [1st English ed.] edition, January 1974) ISBN
                    > 978-0834810129
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    > Saionji no Hanae
                    >
                    > Okudaira, Hideo & Ten Grotenhuis, Elizabeth. Narrative Picture Scrolls
                    > (Weatherhill; [1st ed.] edition, December 1973)ISBN 978-0834827103

                  • jrwences
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 10, 2007
                      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:

                      > Point of bringing this up: before I go nuts on adding the fine detail,
                      > such as *lacing* and the like; if anyone can point me out any major
                      > discrepencies, I'd like to get them fixed before it will become major
                      > surgery.
                      >
                      > And dont give me any "its supposed to have 266 stiches on that seam!"
                      > :) Im anal-retentive when it comes to detail, but Im not hashing ANY
                      > stitches in those seems!! lol Some things should just be left to
                      > assumption, if not imagination.
                      >
                      > arigatou,
                      > -Jason Adams

                      Just one question--left handed hashi?
                    • Jason Adams
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 11, 2007
                        OMG! You're right, I didnt even think! lol thanks for pointing that
                        out :)
                        -Jason