Re: Japanese Winter Garb?

    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 2, 2007
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:

      > Here yo ugo Nitsuki, scroll down only a little and on the right is
      > snow hood :)
      >
      > http://www.kyotokimono.com/WhatsForSale/UnusualItems4Sale.html

      OK, Jason-dono. Your mission, should you decide to accept it is to
      find proof something like that was worn prior to 1600. ;->

      Just because it's "vintage" doesn't mean it's period.

    • Otagiri Tatsuzou
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 2, 2007
        > Sumimasen (excuse me),
        >
        > The winter months get cold in Kansas and I'm sure they got cold in
        > Japan as well. Any idea what they wore or did they just add more
        > layers?

        "If you attach a number of bags of cloves to your body, you will not
        be affected by inclemency or colds. Some years ago Nakano Kazuma
        returned to this province as a messenger by horse in the dead of
        winter, and though he was an old man, he was not the least bit in
        pain. It is said that that was because of his having used cloves.
        Furthermore, drinking a decoction of the feces from a dappled horse is
        the way to stop bleeding from an injury received by falling off a horse."
        -Hagakure
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 2, 2007
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Otagiri Tatsuzou" <ronbroberg@...> wrote:

          > "If you attach a number of bags of cloves to your body, you will not
          > be affected by inclemency or colds. Some years ago Nakano Kazuma
          > returned to this province as a messenger by horse in the dead of
          > winter, and though he was an old man, he was not the least bit in
          > pain. It is said that that was because of his having used cloves.
          > Furthermore, drinking a decoction of the feces from a dappled horse is
          > the way to stop bleeding from an injury received by falling off a
          horse."

          Otagiri-dono,

          Brings a whole new meaning to "Here, taste this, it's TERRIBLE!"

          Do you have an edition and page number? I should LOVE to send this one
          to a friend of mine who has been studying Period Things To Do With Poo
          (and for that matter, Pee).

          Saionji
        • Jason Adams
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007
            Ha, no thanks Cap! Actually, it has some very close-up photos of the
            padding matterial. THATs why I sent the link :) Its winter-based,
            its lined and padded, I thought it would help with construction notes.
            eh, take what you can from it, leave the rest. Just like philosophy :)

            -Jason

            > OK, Jason-dono. Your mission, should you decide to accept it is to
            > find proof something like that was worn prior to 1600. ;->
            >
            > Just because it's "vintage" doesn't mean it's period.
            >
            > Saionji no Hanae
            > West Kingdom

          • Jason Adams
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007
              Well, if we're gonna go THERE.... lol

              You can, of coarse put peppers all over your body too. thats in the
              "Samurai Sourcebook" along with some interesting "folk" medicines and
              emergency rations. lol I love how the last line reguards NOT to put
              it in your eyes!!!! LMAO! Im waiting for Ben Stine to pop up "For
              dry, burning eyes, use clear eyes..."

              -Jason

              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:

                > Ha, no thanks Cap! Actually, it has some very close-up photos of the
                > padding matterial. THATs why I sent the link :) Its winter-based,
                > its lined and padded, I thought it would help with construction notes.
                > eh, take what you can from it, leave the rest.

                My point is that you can't take ANYTHING from it if you can't prove it
                exists in the period you are trying to represent. To do so you have to
                find (A) surviving examples from the period or (B) written
                descriptions from the period of someone wearing one or (C) paintings
                and drawings from the period showing someone wearing them.

                Enthusiasm is admirable and I applaud yours. Now if we can just focus
                that enthusiasm in the right direction.....
                (OMG, that stupid LJ meme was right. I AM Yoda.)

                Saionji no Hanae
              • Jason Adams
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 4, 2007
                  Indeed, I agree with you wholeheartedly! I didnt mean to sound pissy
                  over the post or anything, just trying to be helpful :) But seriously
                  though, does the close ups of the material and padding work?

                  Now, if you can wear long green ears and fight while on your knees,
                  hopping around like a crazy little carnie, I will call you Jedi Master :)

                  -Jason

                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 4, 2007
                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:
                    > Now, if you can wear long green ears and fight while on your knees,
                    > hopping around like a crazy little carnie, I will call you Jedi
                    Master :)

                    Well, our eyes are sort of the same
                    pond-scum-shining-in-the-morning-sun color, but I'm much taller and
                    prettier (even on a bad day). And I'm pretty good with The Smackity
                    Fan. ;->

                  • Jason Adams
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 5, 2007
                      LOL well, that's ok. Maybe not a Yoda, but I have great respect for
                      anyone with a good grip on the smackity fan! We need to hold a
                      "Takeshi's castle" (MXC) sometime! lol

                      -Jason