Re: Japanese Winter Garb?

  • Jason Adams
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 2, 2007
      Here yo ugo Nitsuki, scroll down only a little and on the right is
      snow hood :)

      http://www.kyotokimono.com/WhatsForSale/UnusualItems4Sale.html

      -Jason

      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 2, 2007
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:

        > Here yo ugo Nitsuki, scroll down only a little and on the right is
        > snow hood :)
        >
        > http://www.kyotokimono.com/WhatsForSale/UnusualItems4Sale.html

        OK, Jason-dono. Your mission, should you decide to accept it is to
        find proof something like that was worn prior to 1600. ;->

        Just because it's "vintage" doesn't mean it's period.

      • Otagiri Tatsuzou
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 2, 2007
          > Sumimasen (excuse me),
          >
          > The winter months get cold in Kansas and I'm sure they got cold in
          > Japan as well. Any idea what they wore or did they just add more
          > layers?

          "If you attach a number of bags of cloves to your body, you will not
          be affected by inclemency or colds. Some years ago Nakano Kazuma
          returned to this province as a messenger by horse in the dead of
          winter, and though he was an old man, he was not the least bit in
          pain. It is said that that was because of his having used cloves.
          Furthermore, drinking a decoction of the feces from a dappled horse is
          the way to stop bleeding from an injury received by falling off a horse."
          -Hagakure
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 2, 2007
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Otagiri Tatsuzou" <ronbroberg@...> wrote:

            > "If you attach a number of bags of cloves to your body, you will not
            > be affected by inclemency or colds. Some years ago Nakano Kazuma
            > returned to this province as a messenger by horse in the dead of
            > winter, and though he was an old man, he was not the least bit in
            > pain. It is said that that was because of his having used cloves.
            > Furthermore, drinking a decoction of the feces from a dappled horse is
            > the way to stop bleeding from an injury received by falling off a
            horse."

            Otagiri-dono,

            Brings a whole new meaning to "Here, taste this, it's TERRIBLE!"

            Do you have an edition and page number? I should LOVE to send this one
            to a friend of mine who has been studying Period Things To Do With Poo
            (and for that matter, Pee).

            Saionji
          • Jason Adams
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007
              Ha, no thanks Cap! Actually, it has some very close-up photos of the
              padding matterial. THATs why I sent the link :) Its winter-based,
              its lined and padded, I thought it would help with construction notes.
              eh, take what you can from it, leave the rest. Just like philosophy :)

              -Jason

              > OK, Jason-dono. Your mission, should you decide to accept it is to
              > find proof something like that was worn prior to 1600. ;->
              >
              > Just because it's "vintage" doesn't mean it's period.
              >
              > Saionji no Hanae
              > West Kingdom

            • Jason Adams
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007
                Well, if we're gonna go THERE.... lol

                You can, of coarse put peppers all over your body too. thats in the
                "Samurai Sourcebook" along with some interesting "folk" medicines and
                emergency rations. lol I love how the last line reguards NOT to put
                it in your eyes!!!! LMAO! Im waiting for Ben Stine to pop up "For
                dry, burning eyes, use clear eyes..."

                -Jason

                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:

                  > Ha, no thanks Cap! Actually, it has some very close-up photos of the
                  > padding matterial. THATs why I sent the link :) Its winter-based,
                  > its lined and padded, I thought it would help with construction notes.
                  > eh, take what you can from it, leave the rest.

                  My point is that you can't take ANYTHING from it if you can't prove it
                  exists in the period you are trying to represent. To do so you have to
                  find (A) surviving examples from the period or (B) written
                  descriptions from the period of someone wearing one or (C) paintings
                  and drawings from the period showing someone wearing them.

                  Enthusiasm is admirable and I applaud yours. Now if we can just focus
                  that enthusiasm in the right direction.....
                  (OMG, that stupid LJ meme was right. I AM Yoda.)

                  Saionji no Hanae
                • Jason Adams
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 4, 2007
                    Indeed, I agree with you wholeheartedly! I didnt mean to sound pissy
                    over the post or anything, just trying to be helpful :) But seriously
                    though, does the close ups of the material and padding work?

                    Now, if you can wear long green ears and fight while on your knees,
                    hopping around like a crazy little carnie, I will call you Jedi Master :)

                    -Jason

                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 4, 2007
                      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:
                      > Now, if you can wear long green ears and fight while on your knees,
                      > hopping around like a crazy little carnie, I will call you Jedi
                      Master :)

                      Well, our eyes are sort of the same
                      pond-scum-shining-in-the-morning-sun color, but I'm much taller and
                      prettier (even on a bad day). And I'm pretty good with The Smackity
                      Fan. ;->

                    • Jason Adams
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 5, 2007
                        LOL well, that's ok. Maybe not a Yoda, but I have great respect for
                        anyone with a good grip on the smackity fan! We need to hold a
                        "Takeshi's castle" (MXC) sometime! lol

                        -Jason