Re: [SCA-JML] Digest Number 168

  • Kamiizumi Munenori
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 7, 2000
      Hiraizumi-sensei wrote:
      > I want to make sure of what we're talking about; do you mean kanmuri
      > (*true* court caps, as worn by kuge), the tate eboshi of the kuge,
      > the tate eboshi of the samurai, or the ori eboshi?
      >
      > Only one of these -- the kanmuri -- is truly a "court cap." The rest are
      > daywear or part of "the uniform".

      Woo! Now this is some truly excellent information. Thanks!
      Trouble is, I don't know how to answer your question. Can
      you offer a brief note on which hat would have been worn
      for what occasion? Would kanmuri have been worn by samurai
      landholders (daimyo, shugodaimyo) of lesser rank than the
      shogun? I've seen pics of Hideyoshi wearing kanmuri (and
      a white karaginu, I think) but I don't know what would be
      most appropriate for someone at a lower level to wear while
      holding court (in the SCA sense).

      Also, Solveig-sensei, do you have any English-language
      sources on the shugodaimyo of which I might be able to find
      a copy?

      Thanks!

      Munenori (still trying to grow my library)
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 7, 2000
        Munemori Dono!

        Greetings from Solveig! Hideyoshi enjoyed the highest imaginable
        court rank. Consequently, you will see him wearing kanmuri. Most
        bushi would wear a samurai eboshi.

        | techie.com, msn.com |
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 8, 2000
          Kamiizumi Munenori wrote:

          > Hiraizumi-sensei wrote:
          > > I want to make sure of what we're talking about; do you mean kanmuri
          > > (*true* court caps, as worn by kuge), the tate eboshi of the kuge,
          > > the tate eboshi of the samurai, or the ori eboshi?
          > >
          > > Only one of these -- the kanmuri -- is truly a "court cap." The rest are
          > > daywear or part of "the uniform".
          >
          > Woo! Now this is some truly excellent information. Thanks!
          > Trouble is, I don't know how to answer your question. Can
          > you offer a brief note on which hat would have been worn
          > for what occasion? Would kanmuri have been worn by samurai
          > landholders (daimyo, shugodaimyo) of lesser rank than the
          > shogun?

          Of course, but only with the appropriate item of court garb. The kanmuri
          indicates kuge (civil nobility) rank, and is only appropriate with kuge wear.
          The reason some daimyo and so on had rank is that governorship of provinces
          earned a court rank, and many other samurai held honorary court positions
          (e.g., Yoshitsune was kebiishi no betto, head of the Imperial "police," and
          Yoritomo was commander of the Palace guard of the [IIRC] Left). The shogun
          usually was granted a high-enough position that would allow him access to the
          Emperor's person; only members of the first three court ranks were typically
          allowed such license (in SCA terminology, viscounts, counts, and dukes). The
          next two ranks had access to the palace (barons and peers). Everyone else had
          to wait around outside the palace, even though they were kuge and had the
          cool clothes and hats. <G>

          > I've seen pics of Hideyoshi wearing kanmuri (and
          > a white karaginu, I think) but I don't know what would be
          > most appropriate for someone at a lower level to wear while
          > holding court (in the SCA sense).

          That's because he was the chancellor, a kuge office, and therefore senior
          first court rank; a higher rank doesn't exist for mere mortals. At any given
          time, there was only one person with that kind of rank. Hideyoshi was able to
          get it. Even shogun didn't get that rank unless by some quirk they also
          became chancellor. And I can't recall any that did. Hideyoshi was reaching
          for legitimacy, and found it in the court; the shogun were too busy actually
          running the military machine and bakufu.

          > Also, Solveig-sensei, do you have any English-language
          > sources on the shugodaimyo of which I might be able to find
          > a copy?

          Check out the bibliography I posted in the files section of our group on
          egroups. There's a huge history section in it, and many of the titles are in
          English.