Re: [SCA-JML] Attention? Pretty Please?

  • Donald Luby
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 30, 2007
      Forwarded appropriately

      On 1/29/07, Diane Taylor <qara0@...> wrote:

      > Would the Webmistress or whomever is attending to the Clan Yama
      > Kaminari website please contact me off list. Thanks bunches.
      >
      > Qara,
      > who hopes to one day be named Tenshi Kumagaya

      Sir Koredono

    • aimee brooks
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 30, 2007
        I've recently won a taiko drum of my own on Ebay, and have witnessed an
        awesome live performance by a group of real taiko drummers here in town.
        For the longest time, I've been eyeing the instructions on the Yama
        Kaminari page, and now I've got questions.
        The shime daiko on the instructions page has a finished diameter of
        roughly 9". How would I adjust the measurements of the wood pieces given
        if I wanted one 12" in diameter?
        Thanks,
        Hirokawa no tsuru

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 30, 2007

          Greetings from Solveig! I am very confused:

          > I've recently won a taiko drum of my own on Ebay,
          > The shime daiko on the instructions page has a finished diameter of
          > roughly 9". How would I adjust the measurements of the wood pieces
          > given
          > if I wanted one 12" in diameter?

          Why are you "adjusting dimensions" if you bought a ready made taiko
          on eBay?

        • aimee brooks
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 31, 2007
            I won a taiko drum- the big barrel shaped variety. I would like a
            shime-daiko to go with it, and that's what I was asking about adjusting
            the plans for.
            Shime-daiko are structually different from the larger taiko- the heads
            aren't nailed right onto the body of the drum- they're stretched over
            metal hoops, then held onto the drum body with lacing.
            Of course, I would also like to try making my own regular taiko one of
            these days- it would be nice to have a couple in different sizes to play
            with.
            -Hirokawa no Tsuru
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 31, 2007

              Greetings from Solveig! I am quite aware of what the things are. I am
              still curious as to what you plan to do with the thing.

            • Tracie Ellis
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 31, 2007
                I think what the individual is looking for is a way to size up a 9" drum
                body to fit a 12" head.

                It appears to me that this person would like to have several drums of
                various sizes, perhaps under the idea that the different sizes will make
                slightly different sounds?

                But I'm just speculating.

                Miriel, lurker (and tired of presumed snarking)

                --
                Finally, a website! More pictures coming!
                http://miriels-place.tripod.com/

                "There but for the grace of a demented deity, go I" - Tales of the Folly,
                by A. Fesler

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 31, 2007

                  > It appears to me that this person would like to have several drums of
                  > various sizes, perhaps under the idea that the different sizes will
                  > make
                  > slightly different sounds?

                  Drums of different size do indeed make different sounds. However,
                  there are lots of different drums in Japan and they are used in
                  different ways for different sorts of music. Thus, I am curious as to
                  what this would-be drummer is interested in and why. However, I
                  sincerely doubt that he has a collection of Japanese drum heads just
                  laying around waiting for bodies.

                  Your Humble Servant
                  Solveig Thorndardottir
                  Amateur Scholar
                • chasrmartin
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 1, 2007
                    wrote:

                    > Noble Cousin!
                    >
                    > Greetings from Solveig! I am quite aware of what the things are. I am
                    > still curious as to what you plan to do with the thing.

                    Make loud thumping noises?

                    Mugyo
                  • aimee brooks
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 1, 2007
                      For one thing, I'm female:) I am waiting for one taiko drum, and would
                      like to scratch build my own Shime-Daiko. No, I don't have any drum
                      heads around, I'll need to scratch build those as well. If I follow the
                      plans for a shime-daiko on the clan Yama Kaminari page to the letter, I
                      will have a drum with a body diameter of about 9". But I would like to
                      make a bigger one, roughly 12-14" across. How should I scale up the
                      dimensions given in the plans to do this? I ask here because I was under
                      the impression that a few of the posters here were from Yama Kaminari,
                      and might be familiar with that particular project.
                      Yes, I do want a few different drums to play with- I'm interested in
                      learning Taiko, and not only as an SCA pastime. Outside of SCA
                      involvement, I am also starting the practice of drumming for
                      spiritual/religious purposes. No, my spiritual path does not dictate any
                      ONE style of instrument to be used, or any one playing style, so
                      something not often seen like Taiko is perfectly acceptable.
                      I had the chance to see a live taiko performance here last weekend-
                      sometimes one or more of the drummers would have a couple of drums
                      sitting in front of them, and be playing both, almost like a western
                      drummer with his drum set. It was awe inspiring to listen to, and
                      fascinating to watch, much more so than the usual hippy-style beating
                      one usually sees in Pagan drum circles.

                      -Hirokawa no Tsuru

                      Drums of different size do indeed make different sounds. However,

                      > there are lots of different drums in Japan and they are used in
                      > different ways for different sorts of music. Thus, I am curious as to
                      > what this would-be drummer is interested in and why. However, I
                      > sincerely doubt that he has a collection of Japanese drum heads just
                      > laying around waiting for bodies.
                      >
                      > Your Humble Servant
                      > Solveig Thorndardottir
                      > Amateur Scholar

                    • chasrmartin
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 2, 2007
                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, aimee brooks <rjb@...> wrote:

                        > -Hirokawa no Tsuru

                        Tsuru-chan, have you seen the San Jose Taiko page?

                        http://www.taiko.org/main.html

                        My first experience with taiko drumming was Ondekoza, which was
                        somewhere between a Taiko group and a crazy Japanese cult. Great stuff.

                        Mugyo