Attention? Pretty Please?

  • Diane Taylor
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 29, 2007
      Would the Webmistress or whomever is attending to the Clan Yama
      Kaminari website please contact me off list. Thanks bunches.

      Qara,
      who hopes to one day be named Tenshi Kumagaya
    • Donald Luby
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 30, 2007
        Forwarded appropriately

        On 1/29/07, Diane Taylor <qara0@...> wrote:

        > Would the Webmistress or whomever is attending to the Clan Yama
        > Kaminari website please contact me off list. Thanks bunches.
        >
        > Qara,
        > who hopes to one day be named Tenshi Kumagaya

        Sir Koredono

      • aimee brooks
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 30, 2007
          I've recently won a taiko drum of my own on Ebay, and have witnessed an
          awesome live performance by a group of real taiko drummers here in town.
          For the longest time, I've been eyeing the instructions on the Yama
          Kaminari page, and now I've got questions.
          The shime daiko on the instructions page has a finished diameter of
          roughly 9". How would I adjust the measurements of the wood pieces given
          if I wanted one 12" in diameter?
          Thanks,
          Hirokawa no tsuru

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 30, 2007

            Greetings from Solveig! I am very confused:

            > I've recently won a taiko drum of my own on Ebay,
            > The shime daiko on the instructions page has a finished diameter of
            > roughly 9". How would I adjust the measurements of the wood pieces
            > given
            > if I wanted one 12" in diameter?

            Why are you "adjusting dimensions" if you bought a ready made taiko
            on eBay?

          • aimee brooks
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 31, 2007
              I won a taiko drum- the big barrel shaped variety. I would like a
              shime-daiko to go with it, and that's what I was asking about adjusting
              the plans for.
              Shime-daiko are structually different from the larger taiko- the heads
              aren't nailed right onto the body of the drum- they're stretched over
              metal hoops, then held onto the drum body with lacing.
              Of course, I would also like to try making my own regular taiko one of
              these days- it would be nice to have a couple in different sizes to play
              with.
              -Hirokawa no Tsuru
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 31, 2007

                Greetings from Solveig! I am quite aware of what the things are. I am
                still curious as to what you plan to do with the thing.

              • Tracie Ellis
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 31, 2007
                  I think what the individual is looking for is a way to size up a 9" drum
                  body to fit a 12" head.

                  It appears to me that this person would like to have several drums of
                  various sizes, perhaps under the idea that the different sizes will make
                  slightly different sounds?

                  But I'm just speculating.

                  Miriel, lurker (and tired of presumed snarking)

                  --
                  Finally, a website! More pictures coming!
                  http://miriels-place.tripod.com/

                  "There but for the grace of a demented deity, go I" - Tales of the Folly,
                  by A. Fesler

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 31, 2007

                    > It appears to me that this person would like to have several drums of
                    > various sizes, perhaps under the idea that the different sizes will
                    > make
                    > slightly different sounds?

                    Drums of different size do indeed make different sounds. However,
                    there are lots of different drums in Japan and they are used in
                    different ways for different sorts of music. Thus, I am curious as to
                    what this would-be drummer is interested in and why. However, I
                    sincerely doubt that he has a collection of Japanese drum heads just
                    laying around waiting for bodies.

                    Your Humble Servant
                    Solveig Thorndardottir
                    Amateur Scholar
                  • chasrmartin
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 1, 2007
                      wrote:

                      > Noble Cousin!
                      >
                      > Greetings from Solveig! I am quite aware of what the things are. I am
                      > still curious as to what you plan to do with the thing.

                      Make loud thumping noises?

                      Mugyo
                    • aimee brooks
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 1, 2007
                        For one thing, I'm female:) I am waiting for one taiko drum, and would
                        like to scratch build my own Shime-Daiko. No, I don't have any drum
                        heads around, I'll need to scratch build those as well. If I follow the
                        plans for a shime-daiko on the clan Yama Kaminari page to the letter, I
                        will have a drum with a body diameter of about 9". But I would like to
                        make a bigger one, roughly 12-14" across. How should I scale up the
                        dimensions given in the plans to do this? I ask here because I was under
                        the impression that a few of the posters here were from Yama Kaminari,
                        and might be familiar with that particular project.
                        Yes, I do want a few different drums to play with- I'm interested in
                        learning Taiko, and not only as an SCA pastime. Outside of SCA
                        involvement, I am also starting the practice of drumming for
                        spiritual/religious purposes. No, my spiritual path does not dictate any
                        ONE style of instrument to be used, or any one playing style, so
                        something not often seen like Taiko is perfectly acceptable.
                        I had the chance to see a live taiko performance here last weekend-
                        sometimes one or more of the drummers would have a couple of drums
                        sitting in front of them, and be playing both, almost like a western
                        drummer with his drum set. It was awe inspiring to listen to, and
                        fascinating to watch, much more so than the usual hippy-style beating
                        one usually sees in Pagan drum circles.

                        -Hirokawa no Tsuru

                        Drums of different size do indeed make different sounds. However,

                        > there are lots of different drums in Japan and they are used in
                        > different ways for different sorts of music. Thus, I am curious as to
                        > what this would-be drummer is interested in and why. However, I
                        > sincerely doubt that he has a collection of Japanese drum heads just
                        > laying around waiting for bodies.
                        >
                        > Your Humble Servant
                        > Solveig Thorndardottir
                        > Amateur Scholar

                      • chasrmartin
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 2, 2007
                          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, aimee brooks <rjb@...> wrote:

                          > -Hirokawa no Tsuru

                          Tsuru-chan, have you seen the San Jose Taiko page?

                          http://www.taiko.org/main.html

                          My first experience with taiko drumming was Ondekoza, which was
                          somewhere between a Taiko group and a crazy Japanese cult. Great stuff.

                          Mugyo