Check out my Uber-leet skills!! Waraji

  • Jason Adams
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 22, 2007
      Check it out! :)

      100' manilla rope: laying around the house

      300' bailing twine: laying in the barn

      Knowing youve made your first set of waraji and didnt pay $50 plus
      shipping from Japan: PRICELESS!

      OK, so manilla and bailing twine: not really period, but PRACTICAL. I
      wanted to learn the technique as inexpensively as possible before
      using anything real and shelling out the dough for it.

      So besides using material that is kinda stiff and scratchy, these
      things are AMAZINGLY comfortable. Despite what Ive read about how
      great they are for your back, circulation, etc., I thought that was
      health-nut talk. But these really feel great!

      Pics:
      http://banditt.uber-geek.us/japan/mine/waraji01.jpg

      http://banditt.uber-geek.us/japan/mine/waraji02.jpg

      http://banditt.uber-geek.us/japan/mine/waraji03.jpg

      Sorry for showing off, but I feel accomplished. I was at about 1-1/2
      hours per foot. Now that Ive got it down, I could really crank these
      suckers out! :) What is it, 100 a year? :) lol

      -Jason Adams
    • Richard Johnson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 22, 2007
        Good work.
        I made my first pair from some soft nylon rope I had lying around.
        I chose that because a) it was there and free and b) I had read that
        the lifespan of a pair of Waraji was bout four miles and wanted
        something longer-lasting.

        My second pair, better technique and figured out a new method, I
        made from macrame jutte. Also not-period but it looks closer and is
        just as confortable.

        My next pair, once I make an improved frame, wil also be of jutte
        because frankly, aside from yucca leaves,there isn't much in the
        desert worth weaving.

        interesting side-note, I wore one of my kimonos and $1500 in swords
        to a pagan meeting and was weaving my second pair of waraji and
        there was so many people watching me, that I was asked to do a
        workshop on weaving sandals for those pagans who want to avoid
        barefoot but dislike boots.

        I also wen to one of the suggested websites and who can spend $1200
        on a straw raincoat??????
      • lawrence warnock
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 22, 2007
          Congrats, Looks like you did a good job. At least there closer to period
          than duct tape! I f you don't tell anyone, 99% won't notice. When you turn
          pro, let us know

          Miguel Neves de Lisboa - "Maiguru"

          >From: "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...>
          >>

          >OK, so manilla and bailing twine: not really period, but PRACTICAL. I
          >wanted to learn the technique as inexpensively as possible before
          >using anything real and shelling out the dough for it.

          http://click4thecause.live.com/search/charity/default.aspx?source=hmemtagline_donation&FORM=WLMTAG
        • Jason Adams
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 22, 2007
            lol thanks Maiguru and Rick. Indeed, $1200 for a raincoat isnt really
            something I could get away with, even if it IS tax deductable!! LOL

            When I go pro on a pair of sandals is when Ive gone absolutely buggy!
            :) Maybe in my lifetime Ill make 100 pair, but for the year, Ill
            stick to making them when I need a new pair ;)

            thanks for the compliments, Im just geeked I could actually finish a
            project in a decent amount of time! My kabuto is taking FOREVER!!! lol

            -Jason