Re: Japanese Winter Garb?

    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 21, 2007
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Johnson" <rikjohnson@...> wrote:
      > The straw coats were like the walls of Polynesian huts, overlapping
      > and staggered layers to cause rain and snow to run off. Strange
      > though all the pics I saw showed them as simple cap-lets and never
      > full length or covering more than the back and shoulders.

      Here's a mino, third item down:
      http://www.shibuihome.com/page147.html

      Bokunando carries a reproduction mino as well as other re-enactment
      suitable hats and accessories:
      http://www.shop-japan.co.jp/english-boku/warring5.htm

      Saionji no Hanae
      West
    • Leonard, Elizabeth A. @ Sacramento
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 22, 2007
        Lady Qara-san,

        I wear garb fashioned after the archer "Warrior in kari-shozoku" image
        at this link:

        http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/index.htm

        I am a fencer, so the underarms of the jacket can't be open. To solve
        this problem, I created the arms as square sleeves with a generous
        gusset underneath. For convenience, I have made the front of the jacket
        close with 2" velcro. One could use tie-closures but I like being able
        to armor up/down with gloves on if necessary.

        - lady Yukiko Hosokawa

        Samurai Archers?
        hxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzEwODU1NzkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1NzY3NTAzBG1zZ0lkAz
        IyMDEzBHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2bXNnBHN0aW1lAzExNjkzMTI5NjE->

        Posted by: "Diane Taylor" qara0@...
        <mailto:qara0@...?Subject= Re%3ASamurai%20Archers%3F> qara0
        <http://profiles.yahoo.com/qara0>

        Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:50 pm (PST)

        "As I am retiring from Heavy Weapons and returning to Target Archery, I
        was wondering what sort of dress armor I could make for wars and such to
        add that bit of spiff to my persona? Pictures would be lovely so I could
        have an idea of what would work. Though I'm not going to be doing much
        this year due to the move over to the Barony of Thor's Mountain in less
        than a month and a half."

        http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/index.htm

        Elizabeth Leonard | Graphic Designer
        CB Richard Ellis | Marketing Services
        555 Capitol Mall, Suite 100 | Sacramento, CA 95814
        T 916 492 6935 | F 916 446 8750
        elizabeth.leonard@... <mailto:elizabeth.leonard@...> |
        www.cbre.com <blocked::http://www.cbre.com>

        This email may contain information that is confidential or
        attorney-client privileged and may constitute inside information. The
        contents of this email are intended only for the recipient(s) listed
        above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are directed not to
        read, disclose, distribute or otherwise use this transmission. If you
        have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
        and delete the transmission. Delivery of this message is not intended to
        waive any applicable privileges.

      • Jason Adams
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 2, 2007
          Here yo ugo Nitsuki, scroll down only a little and on the right is
          snow hood :)

          http://www.kyotokimono.com/WhatsForSale/UnusualItems4Sale.html

          -Jason

          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 2, 2007
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:

            > Here yo ugo Nitsuki, scroll down only a little and on the right is
            > snow hood :)
            >
            > http://www.kyotokimono.com/WhatsForSale/UnusualItems4Sale.html

            OK, Jason-dono. Your mission, should you decide to accept it is to
            find proof something like that was worn prior to 1600. ;->

            Just because it's "vintage" doesn't mean it's period.

          • Otagiri Tatsuzou
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 2, 2007
              > Sumimasen (excuse me),
              >
              > The winter months get cold in Kansas and I'm sure they got cold in
              > Japan as well. Any idea what they wore or did they just add more
              > layers?

              "If you attach a number of bags of cloves to your body, you will not
              be affected by inclemency or colds. Some years ago Nakano Kazuma
              returned to this province as a messenger by horse in the dead of
              winter, and though he was an old man, he was not the least bit in
              pain. It is said that that was because of his having used cloves.
              Furthermore, drinking a decoction of the feces from a dappled horse is
              the way to stop bleeding from an injury received by falling off a horse."
              -Hagakure
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 2, 2007
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Otagiri Tatsuzou" <ronbroberg@...> wrote:

                > "If you attach a number of bags of cloves to your body, you will not
                > be affected by inclemency or colds. Some years ago Nakano Kazuma
                > returned to this province as a messenger by horse in the dead of
                > winter, and though he was an old man, he was not the least bit in
                > pain. It is said that that was because of his having used cloves.
                > Furthermore, drinking a decoction of the feces from a dappled horse is
                > the way to stop bleeding from an injury received by falling off a
                horse."

                Otagiri-dono,

                Brings a whole new meaning to "Here, taste this, it's TERRIBLE!"

                Do you have an edition and page number? I should LOVE to send this one
                to a friend of mine who has been studying Period Things To Do With Poo
                (and for that matter, Pee).

                Saionji
              • Jason Adams
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007
                  Ha, no thanks Cap! Actually, it has some very close-up photos of the
                  padding matterial. THATs why I sent the link :) Its winter-based,
                  its lined and padded, I thought it would help with construction notes.
                  eh, take what you can from it, leave the rest. Just like philosophy :)

                  -Jason

                  > OK, Jason-dono. Your mission, should you decide to accept it is to
                  > find proof something like that was worn prior to 1600. ;->
                  >
                  > Just because it's "vintage" doesn't mean it's period.
                  >
                  > Saionji no Hanae
                  > West Kingdom

                • Jason Adams
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007
                    Well, if we're gonna go THERE.... lol

                    You can, of coarse put peppers all over your body too. thats in the
                    "Samurai Sourcebook" along with some interesting "folk" medicines and
                    emergency rations. lol I love how the last line reguards NOT to put
                    it in your eyes!!!! LMAO! Im waiting for Ben Stine to pop up "For
                    dry, burning eyes, use clear eyes..."

                    -Jason

                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007
                      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:

                      > Ha, no thanks Cap! Actually, it has some very close-up photos of the
                      > padding matterial. THATs why I sent the link :) Its winter-based,
                      > its lined and padded, I thought it would help with construction notes.
                      > eh, take what you can from it, leave the rest.

                      My point is that you can't take ANYTHING from it if you can't prove it
                      exists in the period you are trying to represent. To do so you have to
                      find (A) surviving examples from the period or (B) written
                      descriptions from the period of someone wearing one or (C) paintings
                      and drawings from the period showing someone wearing them.

                      Enthusiasm is admirable and I applaud yours. Now if we can just focus
                      that enthusiasm in the right direction.....
                      (OMG, that stupid LJ meme was right. I AM Yoda.)

                      Saionji no Hanae
                    • Jason Adams
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 4, 2007
                        Indeed, I agree with you wholeheartedly! I didnt mean to sound pissy
                        over the post or anything, just trying to be helpful :) But seriously
                        though, does the close ups of the material and padding work?

                        Now, if you can wear long green ears and fight while on your knees,
                        hopping around like a crazy little carnie, I will call you Jedi Master :)

                        -Jason

                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 4, 2007
                          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:
                          > Now, if you can wear long green ears and fight while on your knees,
                          > hopping around like a crazy little carnie, I will call you Jedi
                          Master :)

                          Well, our eyes are sort of the same
                          pond-scum-shining-in-the-morning-sun color, but I'm much taller and
                          prettier (even on a bad day). And I'm pretty good with The Smackity
                          Fan. ;->

                        • Jason Adams
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 5, 2007
                            LOL well, that's ok. Maybe not a Yoda, but I have great respect for
                            anyone with a good grip on the smackity fan! We need to hold a
                            "Takeshi's castle" (MXC) sometime! lol

                            -Jason