Shogun

  • Kev Fitzpatrick
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 6, 2000
      OK, so I just watched several hours Shogun. And being
      the good student that I am, I have to ask, how period
      was the clothing in Shogun? It's supposed to be
      around the time of Sekigahara, ne? So the average
      samurai is usually going to wear an under kosode, an
      over kosode and hakama. Were they using haori? I
      swear I saw some. And kataginu are reserved for whom?

      Thanks

      Takezou/Kevin

      http://shopping.yahoo.com/
    • Marc Choronzey
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 6, 2000
        OK,

        I was just about to ask the same questions... I'm one part of 12 away of
        having watched the whole series and I have to know; How accurate was it?

        Anything concerning the series and book is good to know.

        Arigato,

        -Shimaha.

        http://profiles.msn.com
      • Marc Choronzey

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 7, 2000
            Kev Fitzpatrick wrote:

            > OK, so I just watched several hours Shogun. And being
            > the good student that I am, I have to ask, how period
            > was the clothing in Shogun? It's supposed to be
            > around the time of Sekigahara, ne? So the average
            > samurai is usually going to wear an under kosode, an
            > over kosode and hakama. Were they using haori? I
            > swear I saw some. And kataginu are reserved for whom?

            The costuming for Shogun was actually quite good. They had Japanese staff
            who specialized in historical dramas do their costuming. The glaring error
            was the fondness for heraldic crests on the front of the armour (so we
            could identify mon with individuals and get used to who was who), resulting
            in the ludicrous example of Buntaro's armour, which was a laced do, painted
            *over* (including the lacing) with his mon.

            Other than that, it was okay.

            The average samurai is going to wear a hanpi (a.k.a. juban or hadajuban,
            the T-shirt of kimono), over which is a kosode. Over that he will wear
            hakama, and either a kataginu or dobuku. He might wear a hitatare as well
            if he's got the $.

            In the Sengoku period, the kamishimo (matched kataginu-hakama) was *the*
            standard uniform for samurai. Leisure times (think sports jacket time)
            would replace the kataginu with a dobuku. The dobuku is the period version
            of a haori. It might or might not have sleeves; it might or might not be
            long (from upper butt to lower butt); it might or might not have a turn
            back collar; it *would* have some sort of tie at the chest.

            According to historians of fuuzoku, samurai with self respect never went
            out in public with just a kimono and hakama (unless seriously slumming),
            and NEVER EVER with only a "kimono" only. Those are Edo period styles.

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 7, 2000
              Marc Choronzey wrote:

              > OK,
              >
              > I was just about to ask the same questions... I'm one part of 12 away of
              > having watched the whole series and I have to know; How accurate was it?
              >
              > Anything concerning the series and book is good to know.

              If the previous answer wasn't enough, let me know.

              Effingham
            • Kev Fitzpatrick
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 7, 2000
                The only reason I bring this up is that the majority
                of the guards had on juban, kosode and hakama in the
                beginning of the movie. I.E. Toranaga's men, the
                browns. They were however guarding a prison. Just
                curious.

                All of Oshida's (?) men in grey had on kamishimo if I
                remember correctly.

                Takezou/Kevin

                PS:I love the scene where Mifune does Blackthorn's
                sailor dance.

                http://shopping.yahoo.com/
              • Barbara Nostrand
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 7, 2000

                  Shogun was filmed in Japan with a Japanese technical staff and real
                  Japanese actors. This means that the movie is better than the book.
                  As for costume, it all depends upon who you are and where you are.
                  I haven't seen Shogun since it was originally on TV, so I can not
                  comment about specific details in the mini-series.

                  +----------------------------------+----------------------------------+
                  | Dr. Barbara Nostrand | Department of Computer Science |
                  | Associate Professor | Wilkes University |
                  | Computer Science and Engineering | Wilkes-Barre, Penn. |
                  | (570) 408-3846 | 18766 |
                  +----------------------------------+----------------------------------+
                  | techie.com, msn.com |
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 8, 2000
                    Kev Fitzpatrick wrote:

                    > The only reason I bring this up is that the majority
                    > of the guards had on juban, kosode and hakama in the
                    > beginning of the movie. I.E. Toranaga's men, the
                    > browns. They were however guarding a prison. Just
                    > curious.
                    >
                    > All of Oshida's (?) men in grey had on kamishimo if I
                    > remember correctly.

                    Ishida, yes.

                    That element, the "uniform" aspect, is ahistorical, but it worked in the
                    book to keep people's minds on who was who, and translated well enough in
                    the film for people unfamiliar with Japan to be able to tell the players.

                    > PS:I love the scene where Mifune does Blackthorn's
                    > sailor dance.

                    That's one of my favorites, too. <G>

                    Efifngham
                  • Barbara Nostrand
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 8, 2000

                      Banners, standards and kamon on your clothing are a much better way
                      to keep track of things. For some reason, Clavel (I think that is
                      the author) wrote the colour coordinated uniforms into his novel
                      and then had to remind people of which side the colors were associated
                      with just about anytime someone showed up. So, I don't think it worked
                      that well in the book. Possibly he was thinking of a movie contract
                      at the time.