[SCA-JML] Translation, for we gaijin?

  • Ogami Itto
    Message 1 of 210 , Feb 2, 2000
      > Aaa. Naoshite kudasaimashita arigatou gozaimasu

      And exactly what does this mean?

      BTW- If "domo arigato guzaimasu" is [polite] thank you very much
      (honorific, male form), would it be proper to say "hime arigato
      guzaimasu" if thanking one who was female?

      For the name thing- if my given name is Seth, family name is
      Griffin, and I am, say, a landed baron (as opposed to the landless
      court trash ;) ) [I'm not either, thanks], would I write my name as
      Griffin no-(area)baron Seth? I am assuming late Muromachi, Azuchi or
      Momoyama periods.

      Ogami-wake? Hey! (But probably fair, in all honesty.)

      So, Fujiwara no Aoi-hime- since you don't want me to ask about
      violent stuff, how 'bout this one-
      I am trying to make a hitatare. Something I saw implied that it
      was a vest of sorts with sleeves attached. Are the sides (under the
      sleeves) open or stitched shut? Is this garment lined or not? And do
      I put mon on them? (Hell, which garments is it proper to put mon on at
      all?)

      Speaking of mon- did Takeda Shingen's clan mon have the kanji for
      "earth, wind, fire, mountain" on them, or was this a clan motto of some
      sort? If I was going to use kanji for a mon, are there any rules
      covering usage? How do I know if the character that I wish to use
      existed 500 years ago? (Since I don't read Japanese... yet.)

      Hastur ma
      pasta, maybe.
      baka yaro
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 210 of 210 , May 28, 2000

        For some reason your message possped up recently and I have an idea
        about how Daigoro got his name. You should understand that the names
        in manga are not necessarily names that any real person would have.
        They tend to loosely fit into Japanese naming practice or use elements
        drown therefrom, but that is about it. My guess (and this is only a
        guess) is that Daigoro means "big growl". I once knew a cat named
        goro which was an otomatapoetic (sp) name. The name "works" because
        -goro is a legitimate yobina ending. Another interesting example of
        Japanese manga onomastic is the use of -emon names in the Pokemon
        series. The emonfu originally consisted of two divisions of gate
        gaurds in Heiankyou. -emon evolved into a somewhat free titular
        formation and by the end of the 16th century appears to have become
        a free name form used in yobina of those of sufficient rank in the
        Bakufu. Today, -emon is used as a name element in the geimei of
        rather traditional artisans. In popular literature, -emon names will
        tend to give a character an old-fashioned feel. I suspect that it in
        Pokemon these names have somewhat humorous intent. (However, I could
        be wrong about this as I have not checked out the Pokemon series.)
        Other pop-culture name formations can be interesting. During the
        1950's, Japanese movie studios churned out a series of monster movies
        following the success of Godzilla (pronounced Go-Ji-LA in Japanase).
        The prototypical Japanese large monster is the whale "kujira" and all
        of the various Japanese monsters of movie fame appear to have names
        derived from the word for whale. Note that while apparently an errant
        Tyranosaurus-Rex, Godzilla actually emerges from the sea which is
        the domain of the whale.

        | techie.com |