Re: [SCA-JML] Greetings

  • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
    Message 1 of 91 , Jan 7, 2007
      On 1/7/07, Alicia Marie Sisco <ravynathanor@...> wrote:
      > I'm a member of Stormvale- a shire in the Middle Kingdom, I'm
      > relatively still a noob, and I am researching Japanese history from
      > 1330's to end period. Honestly, I really like the history and mystery
      > of geisha (I know-not period) but I'm hoping to craft a persona that
      > is Shirabyoshi- (I am sorry if I misspelled) the predecessors to the
      > Geisha.

      Welcome, shirabyoshi-sama! Besides the answers to this, below, I'll
      point this post out to my wife who has also dones some research on the
      music of the period as well as the shirabyoshi dancers.

      > I have the great big questionnaire for building the persona, but
      > unfortunately I have lost the page I had on names.

      http://sengokudaimyo.com

      Hiraizumi no Ason's article on names is in the 'Miscellany'.

      > Does anyone have links for researching and constructing 14th century
      > Japanese names? And what's the policy on using a historical name like
      > Fujiwara?

      See the link above, but regarding Fujiwara, I would encourage more
      people to use it. It was a large uji, and it had been one of the few
      uji during the previous Heian period to be allowed into some of the
      higher positions in government. That said, it is not presumptuous
      because being 'Fujiwara' did not mean automatic power and success, and
      there were plenty of low ranking functionaries who were members of the
      Fujiwara or cadet families.

      For Kamakura you may consider some of the cadet branches of the
      Fujiwara, as a matter of fact. I don't know where a good list of
      these might be, though. I know that 'Hiraizumi' was one.

      Of course, for a shirabyoshi performer you may be able to simply take
      an Art Name, although I don't know enough about that to really help
      much. The only example I can think of is 'Shizuka Gozen' from Heike
      Monogatari (I believe that 'Gozen', as with 'Tomoe Gozen', is just the
      honorific '-gozen').

      > Thanx in advance fr the assistance

      Hopefully people more active and knowledgable than I will be able to
      help you out beyond these meager offerings, but mayhap it shall get
      you started.

      -Ii Katsumori
      Message 91 of 91 , Apr 5, 2010
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "garrettehill" <garrettehill@...> wrote:
        > I am new and I don't know what a Sohei persona is, could you explain a bit more please.

        Sohei were warrior monks. If you do a web search on "Mount Hiei" and "Benkei" you should find some basic information to start with.