Forward from East Asian Archaeology - Imperial tombs open for research

  • James Eckman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2007
      Interesting group, but mostly Chinese history.

      1.
      Imperial tombs open for research
      Posted by: "Tim 't Hart"
      Wed Jan 3, 2007 1:05 pm (PST)
      Imperial tombs open for research

      In an effort to aid research into the nation's ancient history, the
      Imperial
      Household Agency has started to allow a range of academic
      organizations to
      visit Imperial tombs previously off-limits to the public.

      Though a number of restrictions will remain on such visits, it is hoped
      full-scale study of the tombs will help shed light on key events
      behind the
      foundation of the country.

      In July 2005, 15 historical organizations, including the Japanese
      Archaeological Association, asked the agency's Archives and Mausolea
      Department for permission to inspect 11 Imperial tombs, including
      Emperor
      Nintoku's mausoleum (Oyama tumulus) in Sakai, Osaka Prefecture.

      The agency decided to offer access not only to historical groups,
      but also
      other academic including zoological and botanical research bodies.

      The agency notified the Japanese Archaeological Association in
      December that
      from Monday (Jan 1) one member from each organization would be
      allowed to
      enter the flat first section of the burial mound.

      Until now, the Imperial Household Agency has refused entry to Imperial
      tombs, maintaining that it has to protect the repose and
      tranquillity of the
      Imperial souls.

      As such, most large keyhole-shaped burial mounds, which were
      designated as
      Imperial tombs, cannot have research conducted inside--a major
      barrier to
      historical study.

      Some have argued that many burial mounds have been wrongly
      designated as
      Imperial tombs.

      Clues unearthed by the researchers on the construction of the
      mounds could
      therefore lead to debate on the identities of those buried in the
      tombs.

      By News Desk

      The Daily Yomiuri

      Source:

      http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/data/html_dir/2007/01/04/200701040028.asp
    • Michael Peters
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 12, 2007
        I just finished a couple of pieces and I thought folks might be
        interested. Rather than use up bandwidth or fill someone's mailbox, I've
        included a link to my post on Tousando.

        http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=armour&action=display&thread=1168615541

        Kurodachi no Mykaru