Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Youth Armor

  • Park McKellop
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
      I don't see why that would not pass an inspection, as long as it fulfilled all regular construction requirements.

      Alcyoneus

      Greetings from Solveig! More correctly, there are practically no hand/
      arm shields used by Japanaese during the historical period of pre-
      modern Japan. There is an example of what appears to be a hand shield
      which is a small rectangular board with a center mount handle with
      handle gripped by the left hand with the flat of the shield
      perpendicular to the forearm. This instance of a hand shield in pre-
      modern Japan is highly unusual and is also unlikely to pass an SCA
      arms inspection.

      Medieval Japanese did use large free standing shields called tate.
      But, these will not allow your youngster to fight "sword and board".

    • Otagiri Tatsuzou
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
        > There is an example of what appears to be a hand shield
        > which is a small rectangular board with a center mount handle with
        > handle gripped by the left hand with the flat of the shield
        > perpendicular to the forearm. This instance of a hand shield in pre-
        > modern Japan is highly unusual and is also unlikely to pass an SCA
        > arms inspection.

        Thank you for the reminder, Solveig-sensei.

        I think I have a picture of one here:
        http://www.rhinohide.cx/tousando/img/motate.jpg

        Otagiri
      • johnleepope
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 7, 2007
          I am Ushi (Kerai Tokoyo no Kokuo). I am inactive currently but wish to
          say the following. As you have been told shields were rare. Large ones
          were used in 1600s for sieges. Not suitable for a seven year old.
          Actually they were not considerd to be very appropriate. Either because
          of the way weapons were used or it lacked courage. There was a shield
          displayed at West Point in New York state in the 1970s. You have two
          choices. Either on the young bushi's "kimono" use long square sleeve's,
          shoulder to wrist, with draw strings at the wrist end. Or if needed
          make a pair of kote (armored sleeve.) I hope this will help. Try google
          for Anthony Bryants site "Sengoku Daimyo" or "Mokurai's Temple"
        • John Lyon
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 8, 2007

            --
            "You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I
            things that happen to us come becuase we actually deserve them? So, now I

            John Lyon
            aka The Ugly Dragon
            aka Kita Jiru Toramassa