Re: Youth Armor

  • Otagiri Tatsuzou
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
      > PS..he would like me to ask you what shape sheild he should use to
      > look more japanese.

      Ghita-hime: This is a tough question. There really are no Japanese
      shields in the medieval period.

      -You could make it small and rectangular like a tedate (used to block
      arrows)
      http://www.rhinohide.cx/tousando/img/motate.jpg

      -You could make a gumbai uchiwa (used for signalling)
      http://www.3tan.jp/1kan/saigu/image/gunbai.jpg

      -You could use a jingasa (a hat sometimes made of metal)
      http://www.wbr.co.jp/img/jingasa.jpg

      -You could make a FSO (Fan Shaped Object)
      http://www.nichigetsukai.org/images/yoroi_tessen.jpg

      None of these are shields.

      Otagiri
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
        Noble Cousin!

        Greetings from Solveig! More correctly, there are practically no hand/
        arm shields used by Japanaese during the historical period of pre-
        modern Japan. There is an example of what appears to be a hand shield
        which is a small rectangular board with a center mount handle with
        handle gripped by the left hand with the flat of the shield
        perpendicular to the forearm. This instance of a hand shield in pre-
        modern Japan is highly unusual and is also unlikely to pass an SCA
        arms inspection.

        Medieval Japanese did use large free standing shields called tate.
        But, these will not allow your youngster to fight "sword and board".

      • Park McKellop

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
            > There is an example of what appears to be a hand shield
            > which is a small rectangular board with a center mount handle with
            > handle gripped by the left hand with the flat of the shield
            > perpendicular to the forearm. This instance of a hand shield in pre-
            > modern Japan is highly unusual and is also unlikely to pass an SCA
            > arms inspection.

            Thank you for the reminder, Solveig-sensei.

            I think I have a picture of one here:
            http://www.rhinohide.cx/tousando/img/motate.jpg

            Otagiri
          • johnleepope
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 7, 2007
              I am Ushi (Kerai Tokoyo no Kokuo). I am inactive currently but wish to
              say the following. As you have been told shields were rare. Large ones
              were used in 1600s for sieges. Not suitable for a seven year old.
              Actually they were not considerd to be very appropriate. Either because
              of the way weapons were used or it lacked courage. There was a shield
              displayed at West Point in New York state in the 1970s. You have two
              choices. Either on the young bushi's "kimono" use long square sleeve's,
              shoulder to wrist, with draw strings at the wrist end. Or if needed
              make a pair of kote (armored sleeve.) I hope this will help. Try google
              for Anthony Bryants site "Sengoku Daimyo" or "Mokurai's Temple"
            • John Lyon
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 8, 2007

                --
                "You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I
                things that happen to us come becuase we actually deserve them? So, now I

                John Lyon
                aka The Ugly Dragon
                aka Kita Jiru Toramassa