Re: [SCA-JML] Youth Armor

  • sekinakagawa@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
      Greetings!
      I am not sure I should answer the foot question, but then again, I am a
      good sport, I am sure "someone here" will most gracefully bite my head of (or
      chop it off), if you go to the project section you will find a project named
      Kegutsu, these make very nice foot wear covering or you can make a pair with
      soles. In the same section there are directions on how to construct a pair of
      clam shell gauntlets (you can make these out of plastic barrel) and would
      complement the armor. Also, check out some of the links available for
      patterns, you may find that the clam shells look ok when used with Kote.

      Humbly,
      Nakagawa Sukeie
      Canton of Silverhart, An Tir

      To ask a question may be a moments shame,
      But not to ask and remain ignorant is a life long shame.

    • Otagiri Tatsuzou
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
        > PS..he would like me to ask you what shape sheild he should use to
        > look more japanese.

        Ghita-hime: This is a tough question. There really are no Japanese
        shields in the medieval period.

        -You could make it small and rectangular like a tedate (used to block
        arrows)
        http://www.rhinohide.cx/tousando/img/motate.jpg

        -You could make a gumbai uchiwa (used for signalling)
        http://www.3tan.jp/1kan/saigu/image/gunbai.jpg

        -You could use a jingasa (a hat sometimes made of metal)
        http://www.wbr.co.jp/img/jingasa.jpg

        -You could make a FSO (Fan Shaped Object)
        http://www.nichigetsukai.org/images/yoroi_tessen.jpg

        None of these are shields.

        Otagiri
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007

          Greetings from Solveig! More correctly, there are practically no hand/
          arm shields used by Japanaese during the historical period of pre-
          modern Japan. There is an example of what appears to be a hand shield
          which is a small rectangular board with a center mount handle with
          handle gripped by the left hand with the flat of the shield
          perpendicular to the forearm. This instance of a hand shield in pre-
          modern Japan is highly unusual and is also unlikely to pass an SCA
          arms inspection.

          Medieval Japanese did use large free standing shields called tate.
          But, these will not allow your youngster to fight "sword and board".

        • Park McKellop

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
              > There is an example of what appears to be a hand shield
              > which is a small rectangular board with a center mount handle with
              > handle gripped by the left hand with the flat of the shield
              > perpendicular to the forearm. This instance of a hand shield in pre-
              > modern Japan is highly unusual and is also unlikely to pass an SCA
              > arms inspection.

              Thank you for the reminder, Solveig-sensei.

              I think I have a picture of one here:
              http://www.rhinohide.cx/tousando/img/motate.jpg

              Otagiri
            • johnleepope
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 7, 2007
                I am Ushi (Kerai Tokoyo no Kokuo). I am inactive currently but wish to
                say the following. As you have been told shields were rare. Large ones
                were used in 1600s for sieges. Not suitable for a seven year old.
                Actually they were not considerd to be very appropriate. Either because
                of the way weapons were used or it lacked courage. There was a shield
                displayed at West Point in New York state in the 1970s. You have two
                choices. Either on the young bushi's "kimono" use long square sleeve's,
                shoulder to wrist, with draw strings at the wrist end. Or if needed
                make a pair of kote (armored sleeve.) I hope this will help. Try google
                for Anthony Bryants site "Sengoku Daimyo" or "Mokurai's Temple"
              • John Lyon
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 8, 2007

                  --
                  "You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I
                  things that happen to us come becuase we actually deserve them? So, now I

                  John Lyon
                  aka The Ugly Dragon
                  aka Kita Jiru Toramassa