revisiting the hakama question

  • dj_mccreary
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 12, 2006
      About a month ago I asked a question about making the back peice of
      Hakama and was told it wasnt period anyway...

      So, now that Im finally getting around to making another pair of
      hakama, what do I use instead? Is it just like the front band? Wider?
      any difference at all?

      Also..what types of materials do most of you use to sew hakama? both
      for court wear and for the ones you wear under your armor...

      Ghita
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 12, 2006
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "dj_mccreary" <djmccreary@...> wrote:

        > So, now that Im finally getting around to making another pair of
        > hakama, what do I use instead? Is it just like the front band? Wider?
        > any difference at all?

        Go here,
        http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/graphics/patterns/hakama1.PDF?46,12

        Saionji no Hanae
        West
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 29, 2006

          Greetings from Solveig! For those of you who may feel at all
          discouraged by the recent claims about the "deconstruction" (the term
          was used improperly) of "female samurai" a month or so ago. The
          status of women remains an active research topic and is not at all
          settled in favor shuffling women off into the shadows. There is an
          article entitled "Gender in Early Classical Japan: Marriage,
          Leadership, and Political Status in Village and Palace" by Yoshie
          Akiko in Monumenta Nipponica (60)4 Winter 2005. The issue of the
          status of women in pre-modern Japan is greatly clouded by exogenous
          Chinese cultural ideals which do indeed place men and women in
          sexually stereotyped roles with men farming and women weaving. Or men
          herding and women weaving as in the case of the two stars which meet
          each Summer on Tanabata.

          Regardless, Yoshie cites a recent (1993) discovery of
          "mokkan" (written records on strips of wood) in which district chiefs
          transmitted orders to female officials who were to organize corvee
          labor. Essentially, the work by Yoshie supports and extends the
          earlier work by Mass.

          I forget whether or not I mentioned this fairly recent article
          before. I just managed to get in my final grades about a week ago and
          am still trying to catch up on paying bills and other pressing business.

        • James Eckman
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 30, 2006
            > Posted by: "Solveig Throndardottir"
            >
            > Noble Cousins!
            >
            > Greetings from Solveig! For those of you who may feel at all
            > discouraged by the recent claims about the "deconstruction" (the term
            > was used improperly) of "female samurai" a month or so ago. The
            > status of women remains an active research topic and is not at all
            > settled in favor shuffling women off into the shadows. There is an
            > article entitled "Gender in Early Classical Japan: Marriage,
            > Leadership, and Political Status in Village and Palace" by Yoshie
            > Akiko in Monumenta Nipponica (60)4 Winter 2005.

            I need to get over to San Jose State again so I can access JSTOR...

            > The issue of the
            > status of women in pre-modern Japan is greatly clouded by exogenous
            > Chinese cultural ideals which do indeed place men and women in
            > sexually stereotyped roles with men farming and women weaving. Or men
            > herding and women weaving as in the case of the two stars which meet
            > each Summer on Tanabata.

            Even in China that ideal wasn't always followed, the Empress Wu comes to
            mind. This was in the late 600s, so it's possible that some of her
            attempted reforms/abominations may have been known in Japan. To
            traditional Chinese culture she was a monster, for example, Lin Yutang
            in his historical fiction paints a pretty nasty picture of her. On the
            other hand she tried to raise the status of women in general and of
            course her own and her mother's clan as well.

            > Regardless, Yoshie cites a recent (1993) discovery of
            > "mokkan" (written records on strips of wood) in which district chiefs
            > transmitted orders to female officials who were to organize corvee
            > labor. Essentially, the work by Yoshie supports and extends the
            > earlier work by Mass.

            That's an interesting discovery! I know that the Chinese used strips of
            bamboo for a very long time. I hadn't known about the Japanese version.

            > I forget whether or not I mentioned this fairly recent article
            > before. I just managed to get in my final grades about a week ago and
            > am still trying to catch up on paying bills and other pressing business.

            Take care!
            Happy New Year everyone.

            Jim Eckman