Re: [SCA-JML] Datemono

  • Brendan Barth
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 10, 2006

      I thank you for your information. I just wanted to comment on the term. I
      recieved the term for a Laurel with an MA in Japanese history. I do know
      that the term Datemono refers to the crest worn on the forhead of the
      helmet. Just wanted to get the correct information out there. I don't want
      this to sound as an attack. Again thank you for your information on the
      subject.

      Ashina no Karasu

      From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>
      To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] Datemono
      Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 01:03:42 -0500

      > Are the datemono (helmet crests) on the kabuto associated with
      > either a
      > title, rank and/or family? Also, if so, what would be the
      > stipulation on
      > the datemono?

      I doubt that you have the correct term there. Generally speaking,
      there is no particular relationship between helmet crests and the
      other heraldry used by the wearer. I believe that you are asking
      about the actual crests immediately above the forehead and not simply
      weapon catching appendages of various sorts. As for you actual
      question, actual helmet crests appear to be the province of very high
      ranking generals. There is of course an exception to this in the form
      of certain helmets worn by police and similar units during the Edo
      period where there is a crest painted on the upturned front of a
      helmet which always reminds me of a doughboy helmet.

      Get the latest Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta version.�Join now.
      http://ideas.live.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 10, 2006

        > I just wanted to comment on the term. I recieved the term for a
        > Laurel with an MA in Japanese history.

        Are you really sure that you are remembering the term correctly? The
        problem that I am having with it is
        finding it with the necessary meaning in any of the following:

        4-09-501503-9
        4-06-121009-2
        4-469-02115-6
        4-385-13343-3
        4-385-14000-6

        I suspect that you are trying to recall the term "maedatemono" which
        does exist in dictionaries. Actually,
        this term is quite generic and covers several different items that
        can be affixed to the front of helmets.
        For example, this term also covers "kuwagata" which are large
        appendages which project from the helmet.