Re: Datemono

  • b1laxson
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 8, 2006
      IIRC the helmet crests where basically how the Japanese handled
      heraldry. It was the helmet crest that stood out visually. In europe
      they used colourful shields.

      As such a certain helmet crest was known to be worn by "mr so and
      so". The famous ones are fairly unique.

      Its not that say every captain wore a certain crest but rather crest
      A was for MR A.

      I have some recollection of reading of one general who made a group
      (his bodyguard?) all wear helmet crests that looked like tall
      courtier caps (or something).

      To my limited knowledge there was no registry of crests where as the
      europeans developed rules for their heraldy.

      Suffice to say... I think if you make a helmet crest it will be
      okay... provided you are not intending to wear it into combat.

      The problem with wearing it into combat is that many Marshalls will
      consider it an edge like surface that might damage a weapon or a
      person.

      If you want to use a crest on your battle helmet make it removeable.

      Brian the Green
      (also a Marshal)

      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Brendan Barth" <barkowsky444@...>

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 9, 2006
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Brendan Barth" <barkowsky444@...> wrote:

        > Are the datemono (helmet crests) on the kabuto associated with either a
        > title, rank and/or family? Also, if so, what would be the
        stipulation on
        > the datemono?

        Of possible interest,
        http://www.rhinohide.cx/tousando/yoriaku/maedate.html

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 9, 2006

          > Are the datemono (helmet crests) on the kabuto associated with
          > either a
          > title, rank and/or family? Also, if so, what would be the
          > stipulation on
          > the datemono?

          I doubt that you have the correct term there. Generally speaking,
          there is no particular relationship between helmet crests and the
          other heraldry used by the wearer. I believe that you are asking
          about the actual crests immediately above the forehead and not simply
          weapon catching appendages of various sorts. As for you actual
          question, actual helmet crests appear to be the province of very high
          ranking generals. There is of course an exception to this in the form
          of certain helmets worn by police and similar units during the Edo
          period where there is a crest painted on the upturned front of a
          helmet which always reminds me of a doughboy helmet.

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 9, 2006

            > To my limited knowledge there was no registry of crests where as the
            > europeans developed rules for their heraldy.

            While I do not know of an actual heraldic authority in premodern Japan,
            illustrated guidebooks showing the kamon, standards, &c. associated
            with various individuals &c. were written and published. How early these
            were being published is something which I do not know.

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 9, 2006

              Greetings from Solveig! The most commonly encounter item of this
              general sort is a small flag worn on the back of the helmet. This had
              the practical purpose of distinguishing running enemy from running
              unit members. These little flags were typically simply decorated with
              horizontal stripes in livery colours.

            • Brendan Barth
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 10, 2006

                I thank you for your information. I just wanted to comment on the term. I
                recieved the term for a Laurel with an MA in Japanese history. I do know
                that the term Datemono refers to the crest worn on the forhead of the
                helmet. Just wanted to get the correct information out there. I don't want
                this to sound as an attack. Again thank you for your information on the
                subject.

                Ashina no Karasu

                From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>
                To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] Datemono
                Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 01:03:42 -0500

                > Are the datemono (helmet crests) on the kabuto associated with
                > either a
                > title, rank and/or family? Also, if so, what would be the
                > stipulation on
                > the datemono?

                I doubt that you have the correct term there. Generally speaking,
                there is no particular relationship between helmet crests and the
                other heraldry used by the wearer. I believe that you are asking
                about the actual crests immediately above the forehead and not simply
                weapon catching appendages of various sorts. As for you actual
                question, actual helmet crests appear to be the province of very high
                ranking generals. There is of course an exception to this in the form
                of certain helmets worn by police and similar units during the Edo
                period where there is a crest painted on the upturned front of a
                helmet which always reminds me of a doughboy helmet.

                Get the latest Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta version.�Join now.
                http://ideas.live.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 10, 2006

                  > I just wanted to comment on the term. I recieved the term for a
                  > Laurel with an MA in Japanese history.

                  Are you really sure that you are remembering the term correctly? The
                  problem that I am having with it is
                  finding it with the necessary meaning in any of the following:

                  4-09-501503-9
                  4-06-121009-2
                  4-469-02115-6
                  4-385-13343-3
                  4-385-14000-6

                  I suspect that you are trying to recall the term "maedatemono" which
                  does exist in dictionaries. Actually,
                  this term is quite generic and covers several different items that
                  can be affixed to the front of helmets.
                  For example, this term also covers "kuwagata" which are large
                  appendages which project from the helmet.