Re:Hakama question

  • Erin Kelly
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 13 9:39 AM
      Wait until they ask for Japanese armor and then use the leftover
      plastic! ;) Or how about some of those floor tiles - build up their
      lower body strength.

      But seriously, the ones without the stiff panel are much more
      fashionable for SCA.

      ERIN
    • Jim Saunders
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 13 12:29 PM
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Johnson" <rikjohnson@...> wrote:

        > btw, I've finally figured out a real good way to do waraji.
        > 55 minutes each using jute I had laying around the house. The secret
        > is to make a frame from a piece of 1x6 board with a lot of headless
        > nails to set and hold the pattern and keep the sandal from shrinking
        > as you weave.

        Would you be willing to post a picture of your waraji loom?
      • Brendan Barth
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 13 2:08 PM
          well you could stiffen it by using interfacing, but traditional hakama
          actually did not have the back triangular piece. The himo in the back
          looked identical to the himo of the front just not as long. Hope this
          helps.

          Ashina no Karasu

          From: "dj_mccreary" <djmccreary@...>
          To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [SCA-JML] Hakama question
          Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 16:09:33 -0000

          I keep telling my husband that he needs to learn to sew his own garb,
          cause Im too busy laying tile in the kitchen, replumbing the underside
          of the house, and building new furniture in the woodshop to actually
          stop for a day and make anything for him...BUT...he doesnt listnen and
          I keep giving in. OK, Ive made hakama before for him and my son, but
          what does everyone else use to make the pack piece stiff? I used
          cardboard once, but then I couldnt wash it, I tried using lots of
          layers of fabric, but it didnt seem stiff enough. Im thinking about a
          piece of hardend leather, would that be washable? Keep in mind I now
          have 4 days to finish these...lol

          Deb

        • sekinakagawa@aol.com
          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 13 2:24 PM
            Greetings and well met!
            Everyone makes strong points, and all are valid, specially the fact that
            prior to Edo there weren't used, however, in the facts that the honorable
            seeker is asking a question about the method or materials, then the answer is any
            of the previous, specially the interface, I believe it will do the trick and
            survive time testing.

            Humbly,
            Nakagawa Sukeie
            Canton of Silverhart, An Tir

            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 13 3:21 PM
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sekinakagawa@... wrote:

              > Greetings and well met!
              > Everyone makes strong points, and all are valid, specially the
              fact that
              > prior to Edo there weren't used, however, in the facts that the
              honorable
              > seeker is asking a question about the method or materials, then the
              answer is any
              > of the previous, specially the interface, I believe it will do the
              trick and
              > survive time testing.

              Think of us as trying to save time, effort and expense for a lady who
              already has to do floor tiling, plumbing and other chores in addition
              to sewing. ;->

              Saionji no Hanae
            • Elaine Koogler
              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 13 3:24 PM
                sekinakagawa@... wrote:

                > Greetings and well met!
                > Everyone makes strong points, and all are valid, specially the fact that
                > prior to Edo there weren't used, however, in the facts that the honorable
                > seeker is asking a question about the method or materials, then the
                > answer is any
                > of the previous, specially the interface, I believe it will do the
                > trick and
                > survive time testing.
                >
                > Humbly,
                > Nakagawa Sukeie
                > Canton of Silverhart, An Tir

                And should you decide to use leather to do the stiffening, make the back
                piece where it
                goes a kind of pocket so that you can remove it before washing!

                Kiri

                --
                Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it's at the end of your arm.
                As you get older, remember you have another hand: the first is to help

                -- Audrey Hepburn
              • sekinakagawa@aol.com
                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 13 3:49 PM
                  "He" should be doing the "work" and leaving her the sewing, but it sounds
                  anti-equality, let the lady try, she probably loves her work... Never mind, I
                  believe everyone to be equal, but if the gentleman wants something he should
                  "pitch in." I really don't make sense today ... oh well, I will mind my own.

                  Philosophically lost,
                  Nakagawa

                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 13 6:24 PM
                    Noble Cousins!

                    Greetings from Solveig! They are most probably currently made out of
                    plastic.
                    Earlier, they were probably made out of wood.

                  • dj_mccreary
                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 14 6:28 AM
                      > "He" should be doing the "work" and leaving her the sewing, but it
                      sounds
                      > anti-equality,

                      I recieved alot of comments like this one...and I guess I should
                      clarify that I meant nothing of the sort with my post other than I
                      needed something fast and easy.

                      While the tables might be turned in my marriage, we definantly have
                      reached our own level of equality. I happen to have a degree in
                      construction and used to be a licensed general contractor before we
                      moved. Since the birth of the last two children I decided to be a
                      stay at home mommy, but since I cant work on anyone elses house, ive
                      decided to remodel my own. As to the sewing...my grandmother says
                      its the only good thing she taught me and she wishes Id stop trying
                      to learn how to rebuild cars and sew more often.

                      Besides, if I let my husband replumb the house, we'd never have
                      running water.

                      I did use plastic this weekend for the event, as I got so many
                      wonderful responses and I thank everyone for their input, It all
                      came to my email after I had to have the garb finished. But, now
                      that I know it isnt period or necessary...I doubt Ill be doing it
                      again because it was definantly a pain in the ahem...

                      Thanks again toi everyone

                      Ghita
                    • Chiba Ry├║ichiro
                      Message 10 of 29 , Nov 14 9:18 AM
                        > seeker is asking a question about the method or materials, then the answer
                        > is any
                        > of the previous, specially the interface, I believe it will do the trick
                        > and
                        > survive time testing.

                        They make a plastic grid stuff that's perfect. Just keep in mind you want
                        the bottom of the stiffening material to extend to the bottom of the belt,
                        otherwise it just flops over ;)

                        Live, Love, Learn!
                        -Chibasama Ry├║ichiro

                        8:56 PM
                      • sekinakagawa@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 29 , Nov 14 10:50 AM
                          In a message dated 11/14/2006 9:20:52 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                          chiba@... writes:

                          Just keep in mind you want
                          the bottom of the stiffening material to extend to the bottom of the belt,
                          otherwise it just flops over

                          Right on target, that's how my modern kendo hakama is built.

                          Nakagawa Sukeie