Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Hakama question

  • sekinakagawa@aol.com
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 12, 2006
      There is a syntetic material at walmart that is hard and washable,
      unfortunatly I do not recall what it's call at this time, but you can go by the fabric
      section and find it, it is white in color and works good.

      Nakagawa Sukeie

      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 12, 2006
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sekinakagawa@... wrote:

        > There is a syntetic material at walmart that is hard and washable,
        > unfortunatly I do not recall what it's call at this time, but you
        can go by the fabric
        > section and find it, it is white in color and works good.

        It sounds like it may be some sort of interfacing. Most sewing and
        notions places carry interfacing materials in a variety of sizes,
        thicknesses and stiffness.

        Saionji no Hanae, West
      • Michael Peters
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 13, 2006
          Deb,

          If it's for SCA, why do it? They (the boards) aren't period anyway.

          >From: "dj_mccreary" <djmccreary@...>
          >To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [SCA-JML] Hakama question
          >Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 16:09:33 -0000
          >
          >I keep telling my husband that he needs to learn to sew his own garb,
          >cause Im too busy laying tile in the kitchen, replumbing the underside
          >of the house, and building new furniture in the woodshop to actually
          >stop for a day and make anything for him...BUT...he doesnt listnen and
          >I keep giving in. OK, Ive made hakama before for him and my son, but
          >what does everyone else use to make the pack piece stiff? I used
          >cardboard once, but then I couldnt wash it, I tried using lots of
          >layers of fabric, but it didnt seem stiff enough. Im thinking about a
          >piece of hardend leather, would that be washable? Keep in mind I now
          >have 4 days to finish these...lol
          >
          >Deb

        • Erin Kelly
          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 13, 2006
            Wait until they ask for Japanese armor and then use the leftover
            plastic! ;) Or how about some of those floor tiles - build up their
            lower body strength.

            But seriously, the ones without the stiff panel are much more
            fashionable for SCA.

            ERIN
          • Jim Saunders
            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 13, 2006
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Johnson" <rikjohnson@...> wrote:

              > btw, I've finally figured out a real good way to do waraji.
              > 55 minutes each using jute I had laying around the house. The secret
              > is to make a frame from a piece of 1x6 board with a lot of headless
              > nails to set and hold the pattern and keep the sandal from shrinking
              > as you weave.

              Would you be willing to post a picture of your waraji loom?
            • Brendan Barth
              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 13, 2006
                well you could stiffen it by using interfacing, but traditional hakama
                actually did not have the back triangular piece. The himo in the back
                looked identical to the himo of the front just not as long. Hope this
                helps.

                Ashina no Karasu

                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 13, 2006
                  Greetings and well met!
                  Everyone makes strong points, and all are valid, specially the fact that
                  prior to Edo there weren't used, however, in the facts that the honorable
                  seeker is asking a question about the method or materials, then the answer is any
                  of the previous, specially the interface, I believe it will do the trick and
                  survive time testing.

                  Humbly,
                  Nakagawa Sukeie
                  Canton of Silverhart, An Tir

                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 13, 2006
                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sekinakagawa@... wrote:

                    > Greetings and well met!
                    > Everyone makes strong points, and all are valid, specially the
                    fact that
                    > prior to Edo there weren't used, however, in the facts that the
                    honorable
                    > seeker is asking a question about the method or materials, then the
                    answer is any
                    > of the previous, specially the interface, I believe it will do the
                    trick and
                    > survive time testing.

                    Think of us as trying to save time, effort and expense for a lady who
                    already has to do floor tiling, plumbing and other chores in addition
                    to sewing. ;->

                    Saionji no Hanae
                  • Elaine Koogler
                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 13, 2006
                      sekinakagawa@... wrote:

                      > Greetings and well met!
                      > Everyone makes strong points, and all are valid, specially the fact that
                      > prior to Edo there weren't used, however, in the facts that the honorable
                      > seeker is asking a question about the method or materials, then the
                      > answer is any
                      > of the previous, specially the interface, I believe it will do the
                      > trick and
                      > survive time testing.
                      >
                      > Humbly,
                      > Nakagawa Sukeie
                      > Canton of Silverhart, An Tir

                      And should you decide to use leather to do the stiffening, make the back
                      piece where it
                      goes a kind of pocket so that you can remove it before washing!

                      Kiri

                      --
                      Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it's at the end of your arm.
                      As you get older, remember you have another hand: the first is to help

                      -- Audrey Hepburn
                    • sekinakagawa@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 29 , Nov 13, 2006
                        "He" should be doing the "work" and leaving her the sewing, but it sounds
                        anti-equality, let the lady try, she probably loves her work... Never mind, I
                        believe everyone to be equal, but if the gentleman wants something he should
                        "pitch in." I really don't make sense today ... oh well, I will mind my own.

                        Philosophically lost,
                        Nakagawa

                        Message 11 of 29 , Nov 13, 2006
                          Noble Cousins!

                          Greetings from Solveig! They are most probably currently made out of
                          plastic.
                          Earlier, they were probably made out of wood.

                        • dj_mccreary
                          Message 12 of 29 , Nov 14, 2006
                            > "He" should be doing the "work" and leaving her the sewing, but it
                            sounds
                            > anti-equality,

                            I recieved alot of comments like this one...and I guess I should
                            clarify that I meant nothing of the sort with my post other than I
                            needed something fast and easy.

                            While the tables might be turned in my marriage, we definantly have
                            reached our own level of equality. I happen to have a degree in
                            construction and used to be a licensed general contractor before we
                            moved. Since the birth of the last two children I decided to be a
                            stay at home mommy, but since I cant work on anyone elses house, ive
                            decided to remodel my own. As to the sewing...my grandmother says
                            its the only good thing she taught me and she wishes Id stop trying
                            to learn how to rebuild cars and sew more often.

                            Besides, if I let my husband replumb the house, we'd never have
                            running water.

                            I did use plastic this weekend for the event, as I got so many
                            wonderful responses and I thank everyone for their input, It all
                            came to my email after I had to have the garb finished. But, now
                            that I know it isnt period or necessary...I doubt Ill be doing it
                            again because it was definantly a pain in the ahem...

                            Thanks again toi everyone

                            Ghita
                          • Chiba Ry├║ichiro
                            Message 13 of 29 , Nov 14, 2006
                              > seeker is asking a question about the method or materials, then the answer
                              > is any
                              > of the previous, specially the interface, I believe it will do the trick
                              > and
                              > survive time testing.

                              They make a plastic grid stuff that's perfect. Just keep in mind you want
                              the bottom of the stiffening material to extend to the bottom of the belt,
                              otherwise it just flops over ;)

                              Live, Love, Learn!
                              -Chibasama Ry├║ichiro

                              8:56 PM
                            • sekinakagawa@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 29 , Nov 14, 2006
                                In a message dated 11/14/2006 9:20:52 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                                chiba@... writes:

                                Just keep in mind you want
                                the bottom of the stiffening material to extend to the bottom of the belt,
                                otherwise it just flops over

                                Right on target, that's how my modern kendo hakama is built.

                                Nakagawa Sukeie