camp stools and canteens

  • Rick Johnson
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 12, 2006
      You know those folding-camp stools made from aluminum pipe ? It is
      still possible to find the older ones made from wood that match the
      Japanese ones at swap meets and yard sales. You just need to replace
      the canvas. I found two for a couple bucks each.

      Next: Canteens.
      I;ve spent the day looking through every book I have and canot find
      the medieval version of the canteen.
      I don't want to use a goard for sanitary reasons or glass/clay for
      safety (though I may resort to that) so any ideas?

      Rick Johnson, PO Box 40451, Tucson, Az. 85717
      http://www.geocities.com/DesertHenge
      http://www.geocities.com/RikJohnson_ERB
      http://www.geocities.com/RikJohnson_RLJ

      Please note: message attached

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 12, 2006
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Johnson" <rikjohnson@...> wrote:

        > You know those folding-camp stools made from aluminum pipe ? It is
        > still possible to find the older ones made from wood that match the
        > Japanese ones at swap meets and yard sales. You just need to replace
        > the canvas. I found two for a couple bucks each.

        Blockade Runner carries "shogi" made of oak and canvas.
        http://www.blockaderunner.com/Catalog/catpg27a.html
        They're extremely sturdy and I'm pleased with the two I picked up
        earlier this season. I've seen similar ones at Walmart in the summer
        with striped or solid colored canvas seats, definitely cheaper, but
        they weren't as nicely finished.

        > Next: Canteens.
        > I;ve spent the day looking through every book I have and canot find
        > the medieval version of the canteen.
        > I don't want to use a goard for sanitary reasons or glass/clay for
        > safety (though I may resort to that) so any ideas?

        Somebody on the Tousando board painted a Pom pomegranate juice bottle
        to look like a gourd. The photo has gone away, but the original thread
        is here, and also includes discussion of using real gourds for those
        who want to go more authentic:
        http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=research&thread=1123491284&page=1

        And here's a bamboo canteen by Rokuro-dono of Yama Kaminari:
        http://www.yamakaminari.com/Projects/Rokuro/index.html

        Saionji no Hanae
      • ekoogler1@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 13, 2006
          From: "Rick Johnson" <rikjohnson@...>
          > You know those folding-camp stools made from aluminum pipe ? It is
          > still possible to find the older ones made from wood that match the
          > Japanese ones at swap meets and yard sales. You just need to replace
          > the canvas. I found two for a couple bucks each.
          >
          > Next: Canteens.
          > I;ve spent the day looking through every book I have and canot find
          > the medieval version of the canteen.
          > I don't want to use a goard for sanitary reasons or glass/clay for
          > safety (though I may resort to that) so any ideas?
          >

          > Rick Johnson, PO Box 40451, Tucson, Az. 85717
          > http://www.geocities.com/DesertHenge
          > http://www.geocities.com/RikJohnson_ERB
          > http://www.geocities.com/RikJohnson_RLJ
          >

          > Please note: message attached

          I seem to recall that Ii-dono entered a Japanese version in an A&S event competition several years ago. He made them out of large (in diameter) pieces of bamboo. I didn't look at the insides, but suspect they would have to be coated with something similar to what folks use to make leather jacks suitable for liquids.

          Kiri

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 13, 2006
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, ekoogler1@... wrote:

            > I seem to recall that Ii-dono entered a Japanese version in an A&S
            event competition several years ago. He made them out of large (in
            diameter) pieces of bamboo. I didn't look at the insides, but suspect
            they would have to be coated with something similar to what folks use
            to make leather jacks suitable for liquids.

            Here's a source for brewer's pitch:
            http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=373

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 13, 2006

              Greetings from Solveig! Why are you worried about the sanitary
              properties of gourds?
              You can coat the inside with something or other. The Japanese
              lacquered just about
              anything that was vegetable.