Re: Hakama question

    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 12, 2006
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "dj_mccreary" <djmccreary@...> wrote:

      > I keep telling my husband that he needs to learn to sew his own garb,
      > cause Im too busy laying tile in the kitchen, replumbing the underside
      > of the house, and building new furniture in the woodshop to actually
      > stop for a day and make anything for him...BUT...he doesnt listnen and
      > I keep giving in. OK, Ive made hakama before for him and my son, but
      > what does everyone else use to make the pack piece stiff? I used
      > cardboard once, but then I couldnt wash it, I tried using lots of
      > layers of fabric, but it didnt seem stiff enough. Im thinking about a
      > piece of hardend leather, would that be washable? Keep in mind I now
      > have 4 days to finish these...lol

      Firstly, stop giving in - or make HIM retile the kitchen. ;->

      Er, firstly, period hakama don't need a koshi-ita (back board). While
      there's been some discussion of whether or not they turn up at the
      late end of the SCA, they are most certainly not necessary.

      Secondly,if you do want to make a hakama that includes a koshi-ita,
      leather is a Really Bad Idea (TM).Wet leather mildews, even hardened
      leather will do so eventually. Leather that has been wet and run
      through a dryer will dry out and crack.

      Plastic maybe? This website suggests mouse pad material as a
      stiffener. http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-4650.html
    • Rick Johnson
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 12, 2006
        Mine originally used rolled newspaper which fell apart in the wash.
        stupid thought.
        Then leather which turned the cloth brown as the wash rinsed the
        tannin from the leather.
        There are really heavy canvas-like fabrics at most cloth-stores go
        there and ask the expert.
        Or you could starch it every time you wear the thing<g>.

        I'm one of those 20'-people. I look good at that distance but closer
        you see the mistakes and inaccuracies.

        btw, I've finally figured out a real good way to do waraji.
        55 minutes each using jute I had laying around the house. The secret
        is to make a frame from a piece of 1x6 board with a lot of headless
        nails to set and hold the pattern and keep the sandal from shrinking
        as you weave.

        Rick Johnson, PO Box 40451, Tucson, Az. 85717
        http://www.geocities.com/DesertHenge
        http://www.geocities.com/RikJohnson_ERB
        http://www.geocities.com/RikJohnson_RLJ

        Please note: message attached

        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 12, 2006
          There is a syntetic material at walmart that is hard and washable,
          unfortunatly I do not recall what it's call at this time, but you can go by the fabric
          section and find it, it is white in color and works good.

          Nakagawa Sukeie

          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 12, 2006
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sekinakagawa@... wrote:

            > There is a syntetic material at walmart that is hard and washable,
            > unfortunatly I do not recall what it's call at this time, but you
            can go by the fabric
            > section and find it, it is white in color and works good.

            It sounds like it may be some sort of interfacing. Most sewing and
            notions places carry interfacing materials in a variety of sizes,
            thicknesses and stiffness.

            Saionji no Hanae, West
          • Michael Peters
            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 13, 2006
              Deb,

              If it's for SCA, why do it? They (the boards) aren't period anyway.

              >From: "dj_mccreary" <djmccreary@...>
              >To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [SCA-JML] Hakama question
              >Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 16:09:33 -0000
              >
              >I keep telling my husband that he needs to learn to sew his own garb,
              >cause Im too busy laying tile in the kitchen, replumbing the underside
              >of the house, and building new furniture in the woodshop to actually
              >stop for a day and make anything for him...BUT...he doesnt listnen and
              >I keep giving in. OK, Ive made hakama before for him and my son, but
              >what does everyone else use to make the pack piece stiff? I used
              >cardboard once, but then I couldnt wash it, I tried using lots of
              >layers of fabric, but it didnt seem stiff enough. Im thinking about a
              >piece of hardend leather, would that be washable? Keep in mind I now
              >have 4 days to finish these...lol
              >
              >Deb

            • Erin Kelly
              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 13, 2006
                Wait until they ask for Japanese armor and then use the leftover
                plastic! ;) Or how about some of those floor tiles - build up their
                lower body strength.

                But seriously, the ones without the stiff panel are much more
                fashionable for SCA.

                ERIN
              • Jim Saunders
                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 13, 2006
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Johnson" <rikjohnson@...> wrote:

                  > btw, I've finally figured out a real good way to do waraji.
                  > 55 minutes each using jute I had laying around the house. The secret
                  > is to make a frame from a piece of 1x6 board with a lot of headless
                  > nails to set and hold the pattern and keep the sandal from shrinking
                  > as you weave.

                  Would you be willing to post a picture of your waraji loom?
                • Brendan Barth
                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 13, 2006
                    well you could stiffen it by using interfacing, but traditional hakama
                    actually did not have the back triangular piece. The himo in the back
                    looked identical to the himo of the front just not as long. Hope this
                    helps.

                    Ashina no Karasu

                    From: "dj_mccreary" <djmccreary@...>
                    To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
                    Subject: [SCA-JML] Hakama question
                    Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 16:09:33 -0000

                  • sekinakagawa@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 13, 2006
                      Greetings and well met!
                      Everyone makes strong points, and all are valid, specially the fact that
                      prior to Edo there weren't used, however, in the facts that the honorable
                      seeker is asking a question about the method or materials, then the answer is any
                      of the previous, specially the interface, I believe it will do the trick and
                      survive time testing.

                      Humbly,
                      Nakagawa Sukeie
                      Canton of Silverhart, An Tir

                      Message 10 of 29 , Nov 13, 2006
                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sekinakagawa@... wrote:

                        > Greetings and well met!
                        > Everyone makes strong points, and all are valid, specially the
                        fact that
                        > prior to Edo there weren't used, however, in the facts that the
                        honorable
                        > seeker is asking a question about the method or materials, then the
                        answer is any
                        > of the previous, specially the interface, I believe it will do the
                        trick and
                        > survive time testing.

                        Think of us as trying to save time, effort and expense for a lady who
                        already has to do floor tiling, plumbing and other chores in addition
                        to sewing. ;->

                        Saionji no Hanae
                      • Elaine Koogler
                        Message 11 of 29 , Nov 13, 2006
                          sekinakagawa@... wrote:

                          > Greetings and well met!
                          > Everyone makes strong points, and all are valid, specially the fact that
                          > prior to Edo there weren't used, however, in the facts that the honorable
                          > seeker is asking a question about the method or materials, then the
                          > answer is any
                          > of the previous, specially the interface, I believe it will do the
                          > trick and
                          > survive time testing.
                          >
                          > Humbly,
                          > Nakagawa Sukeie
                          > Canton of Silverhart, An Tir

                          And should you decide to use leather to do the stiffening, make the back
                          piece where it
                          goes a kind of pocket so that you can remove it before washing!

                          Kiri

                          --
                          Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it's at the end of your arm.
                          As you get older, remember you have another hand: the first is to help

                          -- Audrey Hepburn
                        • sekinakagawa@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 29 , Nov 13, 2006
                            "He" should be doing the "work" and leaving her the sewing, but it sounds
                            anti-equality, let the lady try, she probably loves her work... Never mind, I
                            believe everyone to be equal, but if the gentleman wants something he should
                            "pitch in." I really don't make sense today ... oh well, I will mind my own.

                            Philosophically lost,
                            Nakagawa

                            Message 13 of 29 , Nov 13, 2006

                              Greetings from Solveig! They are most probably currently made out of
                              plastic.
                              Earlier, they were probably made out of wood.

                            • dj_mccreary
                              Message 14 of 29 , Nov 14, 2006
                                > "He" should be doing the "work" and leaving her the sewing, but it
                                sounds
                                > anti-equality,

                                I recieved alot of comments like this one...and I guess I should
                                clarify that I meant nothing of the sort with my post other than I
                                needed something fast and easy.

                                While the tables might be turned in my marriage, we definantly have
                                reached our own level of equality. I happen to have a degree in
                                construction and used to be a licensed general contractor before we
                                moved. Since the birth of the last two children I decided to be a
                                stay at home mommy, but since I cant work on anyone elses house, ive
                                decided to remodel my own. As to the sewing...my grandmother says
                                its the only good thing she taught me and she wishes Id stop trying
                                to learn how to rebuild cars and sew more often.

                                Besides, if I let my husband replumb the house, we'd never have
                                running water.

                                I did use plastic this weekend for the event, as I got so many
                                wonderful responses and I thank everyone for their input, It all
                                came to my email after I had to have the garb finished. But, now
                                that I know it isnt period or necessary...I doubt Ill be doing it
                                again because it was definantly a pain in the ahem...

                                Thanks again toi everyone

                                Ghita
                              • Chiba Ry├║ichiro
                                Message 15 of 29 , Nov 14, 2006
                                  > seeker is asking a question about the method or materials, then the answer
                                  > is any
                                  > of the previous, specially the interface, I believe it will do the trick
                                  > and
                                  > survive time testing.

                                  They make a plastic grid stuff that's perfect. Just keep in mind you want
                                  the bottom of the stiffening material to extend to the bottom of the belt,
                                  otherwise it just flops over ;)

                                  Live, Love, Learn!
                                  -Chibasama Ry├║ichiro

                                  8:56 PM
                                • sekinakagawa@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Nov 14, 2006
                                    In a message dated 11/14/2006 9:20:52 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                                    chiba@... writes:

                                    Just keep in mind you want
                                    the bottom of the stiffening material to extend to the bottom of the belt,
                                    otherwise it just flops over

                                    Right on target, that's how my modern kendo hakama is built.

                                    Nakagawa Sukeie