Shoulder Tie

  • Petee
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 7, 2006
      I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I am a newbie, so sorry
      guys. So my question is what are those ties that you see samurai wear
      that go over their shoulders and cross on the back, I am guessing that
      they are to tie up the sleves of the kamono when they duel, but what
      are they called, what are they made of and how do they tie them?
      Thanks
    • Rick Howard
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 7, 2006
        Ohayo!

        The tie that you are inquiring about is referred to as "tasuki."

        What follows is a link to a reasonable set of written instructions on
        wearing/tying this accessory:
        http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31391

        For a visual on the process:
        http://homepage1.nifty.com/koshifumi/fdc-03f.html

        Yoshi

        Akitsuki Yoshimitsu - Barony of Coeur d'Ennui, Kingdom of Calontir
        Wealth and rank are like the clouds; I do not wish for such transient
        things.

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 8, 2006
          The technique (and knot) are known as a tasuke. Sometimes the sageo
          (cord on sword scabbard) was used when no other rope was available.

          Nindja

          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 12, 2006
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Petee" <p8ntbllr8@...> wrote:

            > I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I am a newbie, so sorry
            > guys. So my question is what are those ties that you see samurai wear
            > that go over their shoulders and cross on the back, I am guessing that
            > they are to tie up the sleves of the kamono when they duel, but what
            > are they called, what are they made of and how do they tie them?
            > Thanks

            I think your post hit twice, sir.

            Start here and then read the two messages that follow.

            Saionji no Hanae, West Kingdom