Shoulder Tie

  • Petee
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 7, 2006
      I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I am a newbie, so sorry
      guys. So my question is what are those ties that you see samurai wear
      that go over their shoulders and cross on the back, I am guessing that
      they are to tie up the sleves of the kamono when they duel, but what
      are they called, what are they made of and how do they tie them?
      Thanks
    • Petee
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 7, 2006
          Ohayo!

          The tie that you are inquiring about is referred to as "tasuki."

          What follows is a link to a reasonable set of written instructions on
          wearing/tying this accessory:
          http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31391

          For a visual on the process:
          http://homepage1.nifty.com/koshifumi/fdc-03f.html

          Yoshi

          Akitsuki Yoshimitsu - Barony of Coeur d'Ennui, Kingdom of Calontir
          Wealth and rank are like the clouds; I do not wish for such transient
          things.

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 7, 2006
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Petee" <p8ntbllr8@...> wrote:

            > I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I am a newbie, so sorry
            > guys. So my question is what are those ties that you see samurai wear
            > that go over their shoulders and cross on the back, I am guessing that
            > they are to tie up the sleves of the kamono when they duel, but what
            > are they called, what are they made of and how do they tie them?

            Here you go:
            http://www.mbdojo.com/basics.html

            Cheers,
            Saionji no Hanae, West Kingdom
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 8, 2006

              >> I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I am a newbie, so sorry
              >> guys. So my question is what are those ties that you see samurai wear
              >> that go over their shoulders and cross on the back, I am guessing
              >> that
              >> they are to tie up the sleves of the kamono when they duel, but what
              >> are they called, what are they made of and how do they tie them?

              In case it isn't obvious from the picture, the things are simply
              white cloth tubes. You can make one (it is just like most other himo)
              by folding over a strip of cloth, sewing it together, and then
              turning it inside out. Basically, there is absolutely nothing special
              about them.

              Your Humble Servant
              Solveig Throdnardottir
              Amateur Scholar
            • nindja1ca
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 8, 2006
                The technique (and knot) are known as a tasuke. Sometimes the sageo
                (cord on sword scabbard) was used when no other rope was available.

                Nindja

                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 12, 2006
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Petee" <p8ntbllr8@...> wrote:

                  > I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I am a newbie, so sorry
                  > guys. So my question is what are those ties that you see samurai wear
                  > that go over their shoulders and cross on the back, I am guessing that
                  > they are to tie up the sleves of the kamono when they duel, but what
                  > are they called, what are they made of and how do they tie them?
                  > Thanks

                  I think your post hit twice, sir.

                  Start here and then read the two messages that follow.

                  Saionji no Hanae, West Kingdom