Re: Name issue...

  • Alex Cunningham
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 29 4:29 AM
      Thanks Ii-dono. I LOVE that last suggestion. It's just the kind of nonsense I'd pull if I'd thought of it first, but I'll give you credit instead!

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
        Noble Cousin!

        Greetings from Solveig! Both Saburou (#3 son) and Shichirou (#7 son)
        are numeric names which are typically middle names.

        Generally speaking, neither uji names nor family names are based on
        constellations.

        There is NO stress accent in Japanese. There IS pitch accent.

        Daijirin has four entries which are read as "subaru"

        1. The Japanese name for the Pleiades.
        2. The name of a magazine named after the constellation.
        3. A verb meaning to become small.
        4. A verb meaning to gather together to become one.

        None of these are the stuff of a family name or an uji. Neither are
        the stuff of a nanori.

        The accent pattern given for "subaru" (the constellation) is SUbaru
        with SU taking a higher tone and the rest being lower and flat.

        The way to stay deeply attached to the constellation is to adopt it
        as your kamon. There is an example of a constellation being used in
        Japanese heraldry. The way to do this is to draw the stars as dots
        and connect them with lines,. HOWEVER, the College of Arms will
        probably refuse to register this design using two arguments against
        it: 1) The use of "thin line" heraldry, 2) Lack of recongnizability.