Re: [SCA-JML] Name issue...

  • Diane Taylor
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 27, 2006
      *grabs the Samurai Sourcebook by Stephen Turnbull and flips to the page with Family Names on it*

      Hrmmm...

      The closest I can come to Subaru is Suibara. The names I see listed here.. none of them end in ru at all. But, then again, this is only one book.

      Qara

      oy2001 <Oy2001@...> wrote:
      I may have to change my name in the SCA. What ever will I do?

      Here's the deal: based on a remembered reading that the medieval (and
      modern) name in Japan for the star cluster we call The Pleiades was/is
      "Subaru" (pronounced, or so I remembered reading, with the emphasis on
      the middle syllable, "suBAHru"). I am deeply attached to this star
      cluster, so I made my name "Shichiro Subaru".

      However, I cannot find any documentation of this prenom ANYWHERE, now
      that it comes to it.

      What then do I do? Can anyone lead me towards period documentation of
      this name? Or should I give up and change my SCA first name to
      "Saburou" which sounds similar and to which I am also attracted? If
      so, can anyone make reccommendations on how to make this awkward
      change go easier?

      Flustered and polynominal,
      Alex/Mr.Cunningham/Subaru

    • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 28, 2006
        On 10/19/06, oy2001 <Oy2001@...> wrote:

        > I may have to change my name in the SCA. What ever will I do?
        >
        > Here's the deal: based on a remembered reading that the medieval (and
        > modern) name in Japan for the star cluster we call The Pleiades was/is
        > "Subaru" (pronounced, or so I remembered reading, with the emphasis on
        > the middle syllable, "suBAHru"). I am deeply attached to this star
        > cluster, so I made my name "Shichiro Subaru".
        >
        > However, I cannot find any documentation of this prenom ANYWHERE, now
        > that it comes to it.

        Unfortunately, your position is not uncommon. When a friend and I
        took 'names' for our Japanese class we ended up taking 'Ryuo' and
        'Tatsushu' for no other reason than that they were listed in the name
        book and had a single stroke different ('shu' v. 'ou') and we wanted
        to give the teacher a hard time. Needless to say, when it came to
        choosing a Japanese persona for the SCA, both these names (which I did
        give some consideration to) went pretty quickly out the window (I
        could possibly have justified 'Ryuo' as a locative, but it would have
        been tricky).

        My advice, at this point, is to do two things:

        1) Go through books on Japanese family names and choose one that you
        like. Remember, there are only a handful of names that will probably
        be forbidden because it would be presumptuous (e.g. Toyotomi and
        Tokugawa), so just about any family name you can date to pre-1600 is
        workable. Even a lot of the older names (e.g. Imibe) stick around as
        family names later on.

        2) Go through similar sources for first names. It sounds like you
        like 'Subaru', and 'Saborou' may be your choice, but look through them
        and try them out. Sign your posts with them several times and see if
        you like it.

        As for getting people to recognize you for your new name, there are
        several tricks I've heard of. One trick is don't care. If someone is
        trying to get your attention, does it matter what name you use?
        Heralds will usually (not always) ask about your name before calling
        you into court.

        You could likewise ignore people calling your 'old' name, or look at
        them and ask 'are you talking to me?'--this can be off-putting, though
        it works for some.

        One thing someone I know tried with great effect was to bring candy to
        the event. When they met someone that knew their 'old' name, they
        would have them repeat the new name several times and then hand out
        sweets to those who remembered to use the new name. This method was
        the most loved by all, I do believe.

        So, I hope that helps some. http://sengokudaimyo.com has some good
        resources, and Solveig's book on Japanese names is also a great
        source. Turnbull has some decent stuff, but it is limited and
        sometimes harder to pass than just quoting chapter and verse from a
        known name source like Solveig's book.

        -Ii
      • Alex Cunningham
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 29, 2006
          Thanks Ii-dono. I LOVE that last suggestion. It's just the kind of nonsense I'd pull if I'd thought of it first, but I'll give you credit instead!

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006

            Greetings from Solveig! Both Saburou (#3 son) and Shichirou (#7 son)
            are numeric names which are typically middle names.

            Generally speaking, neither uji names nor family names are based on
            constellations.

            There is NO stress accent in Japanese. There IS pitch accent.

            Daijirin has four entries which are read as "subaru"

            1. The Japanese name for the Pleiades.
            2. The name of a magazine named after the constellation.
            3. A verb meaning to become small.
            4. A verb meaning to gather together to become one.

            None of these are the stuff of a family name or an uji. Neither are
            the stuff of a nanori.

            The accent pattern given for "subaru" (the constellation) is SUbaru
            with SU taking a higher tone and the rest being lower and flat.

            The way to stay deeply attached to the constellation is to adopt it
            as your kamon. There is an example of a constellation being used in
            Japanese heraldry. The way to do this is to draw the stars as dots
            and connect them with lines,. HOWEVER, the College of Arms will
            probably refuse to register this design using two arguments against
            it: 1) The use of "thin line" heraldry, 2) Lack of recongnizability.