Skip to search.

Re: [SCA-JML] Evolution of Color?

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 9, 2006

      > I don't have anything easily accessible and English-language to
      > recommend, but I believe Dalby cites her source on colors. It's
      > Nihon Shikimei Taikan (Encyclopedia of Japanese Color Terms) by
      > Uemura Rokurou and Yamazaki Katsuhiro. I would guess that it's
      > impossible to find, but there could be something else similar.
      Not at all impossible:

      Nihon shikimei taikan /
      Rokuro Uemura; Katsuhiro Yamazaki
      1943
      Japanese
      Book 83, 5 p. : ill. ; 22 cm.
      Tokyo : Kocho Shorin,
      Availability:
      Check the catalogs in your library.
      Libraries worldwide that own item: 8
      Entry:
      19920902
      Update:
      20041209
      Accession No:
      OCLC: 33767420
      Database:
      WorldCat

      As for "aoi" itself. Kodansha Kogojiten claims that the range of
      colors from blue to green is the primary meaning.
      However, there are other meanings including GRAY or silvery in the
      context of the "Awo'uma" festival. This festival
      is written with either the kanji for ao or the kanji for shiro, but
      is read as "awo'uma". To confuse things even more,
      "ao" can be used in reference to certain horses with blue/black
      coats. kodansha goes on to note that while the
      horses in the "Awo'uma" festival originally had "awo" coats, this was
      chaged to white "shiro" (white) coats during
      the Heian period.

    • deanna.baran
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 10, 2006
        Thank you to everyone for your input. I have zero capacity for pairing
        colors, so everyone's comments have helped me greatly.

        Thanks!
        -Deanna