Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Japanese Collegium Instructors Needed

    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 6, 2006
      Noble Cousin!

      This year Pennsic began with the first complete weekend in August.
      Next year, it will be held one week earlier so that the second week of
      Pennsic should begin with the first complete weekend in August.

    • Leonard, Elizabeth A. @ Sacramento
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 6, 2006
        Konnichiwa!
        As you may have noticed in my previous posts about the mini-collegium,
        Fettburg will be having a Japanese "Midsummer Feast" this next year and
        I'm running the show. Can anyone suggest a major Japanese
        festival/holiday in August (or late July) that I might theme the event
        with?

        Arigato,
        Hosokawa Yukiko

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 6, 2006

          > Konnichiwa!
          > As you may have noticed in my previous posts about the mini-collegium,
          > Fettburg will be having a Japanese "Midsummer Feast" this next year
          > and
          > I'm running the show. Can anyone suggest a major Japanese
          > festival/holiday in August (or late July) that I might theme the event
          > with?

          The two biggies are obon and tanabata.

          1) Obon - The dead come home for a visit
          2) Tanabata - The herder boy and the weaver girl (two stars) cross
          the river of heaven (the milky way) once each year.

          Technically, Tanabata is the seventh day of the seventh month, but
          there is the Lunar Calendar to take into consideration. Both holidays
          have intersting observances.

        • JESSICA DODGE
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 7, 2006
            where is this going to take place?
            Hotaru

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 7, 2006
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, JESSICA DODGE <kaythiarain@...> wrote:

              > where is this going to take place?
              > Hotaru

              Kindly refer to Yukiko-hime's original post:
              The Barony of Fettburg (Stockton Area, CA) in the West Kingdom

              Saionji no Hanae
            • James Eckman
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 7, 2006
                More details would be appreciated, all I have nowadays for clothing is
                mundane gear. Worse comes to worse I can supply some display items like
                seals, painting and calligraphy...

                My painting page is really out of date but my seal page is a bit more
                current. I have carved about 15 or so additional seals since April.

                http://home.comcast.net/%7Eronin_engineer/sumi.html
                http://home.comcast.net/%7Eronin_engineer/sealcarving.html

                Jim Eckman
                Mountain View, CA
              • Leonard, Elizabeth A. @ Sacramento
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 8, 2006
                  Thank you for your interest, Jim! Your work is beautiful.

                  The Fettburg Midsummer Feast event will be held mostly indoors in the Senior Community Center in Manteca, Ca. The main hall probably sits 400 and 1/3 can be divided off to separate the feasting hall from the collegium area. Each class will have its own table in this ±40x20 foot area. I don't know if carving would be a suitable class, due to the mess-radius potential, but I think sumi would be ideal. If there is a low-mess way to make pre-carved (shaped, but blank-faced) seals, I think that would be fantastic.

                  I'd like the class time-slots to be 1 hour each (or less, if necessary)

                  Baronial Gold Key will be able to provide European loaner-gear for you to wear. Japanese loaner garb may exist somewhere, but will be quite a bit harder to find. I'll start asking around...

                  -Hosokawa Yukiko

                  Posted by: "James Eckman" ronin_engineer@... <mailto:ronin_engineer@...?Subject= Re%3A%20Japanese%20Collegium%20Instructors%20Needed> lost90804 <http://profiles.yahoo.com/lost90804>

                  Thu Sep 7, 2006 8:52 pm (PST)

                  More details would be appreciated, all I have nowadays for clothing is
                  mundane gear. Worse comes to worse I can supply some display items like
                  seals, painting and calligraphy...

                  My painting page is really out of date but my seal page is a bit more
                  current. I have carved about 15 or so additional seals since April.

                  http://home.comcast.net/%7Eronin_engineer/sumi.html <http://home.comcast.net/%7Eronin_engineer/sumi.html>
                  http://home.comcast.net/%7Eronin_engineer/sealcarving.html <http://home.comcast.net/%7Eronin_engineer/sealcarving.html>

                  Jim Eckman
                  Mountain View, CA

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 9, 2006
                    Noble Cousins!

                    Greetings from Solveig! Instead of writing "the medieval period of
                    Japan" in the description for the mailing list, please write
                    "premodern historical Japan". 600 CE is practically prehistoric in
                    Japan.

                  • James Eckman
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 9, 2006
                      > Posted by: "Leonard, Elizabeth A. @ Sacramento" elizabeth.leonard@... elizabethandesign
                      > Date: Fri Sep 8, 2006 12:32 pm (PDT)
                      >

                      > Thank you for your interest, Jim! Your work is beautiful.
                      >

                      > The Fettburg Midsummer Feast event will be held mostly indoors in the Senior Community Center in Manteca, Ca. The main hall probably sits 400 and 1/3 can be divided off to separate the feasting hall from the collegium area. Each class will have its own table in this ±40x20 foot area. I don't know if carving would be a suitable class, due to the mess-radius potential, but I think sumi would be ideal. If there is a low-mess way to make pre-carved (shaped, but blank-faced) seals, I think that would be fantastic.

                      I generally just show the tools during a class as an example of what you
                      can use to roughly shape the blanks. In general, anybody who is even
                      slightly serious about seal carving can manipulate hacksaws and files or
                      can find someone who can do it for them. My most recent class given last
                      week lasted about an hour, it would be hard to stretch it without much
                      more hands on by the participants which I would be reluctant to
                      supervise because of the possibility of injury. When people first start
                      carving, they really need some one on one, prior woodcarving experience
                      really helps though. While I have a seal vise, I rarely use it,
                      preferring my hands and I do not use carving gloves or the like.

                      > Baronial Gold Key will be able to provide European loaner-gear for you to wear. Japanese loaner garb may exist somewhere, but will be quite a bit harder to find. I'll start asking around...

                      I will look into making some Japanese gear, luckily I would be a lowly
                      craftsman so it needn't be fancy and you have given me decent warning.

                      Jim Eckman
                    • Leonard, Elizabeth A. @ Sacramento
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 11, 2006
                        I generally just show the tools during a class as an example of what you

                        can use to roughly shape the blanks...

                        -Replied Off List-